Matroosberg - weekend away

Tell us about your favorite 4x4 trail. Tell us how easy or difficult it was, is there escape routes for the faint hearted? Please add some photographs if you can.
Klonkies
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 1996-Hilux 2.4 D/C - 33 Kuhmo`s -rear difflock

Matroosberg - weekend away

Post by Klonkies »

Mornings everybody,

So we decided to do Matroosberg last weekend, hoping for some snow - but also not too much snow as the wifes and `skelmpies` went with. The list of 4x4`s - 4.5 Patrol, Prado, Hilux Ltd, 3.0 Sani, V8 Disco and my bakkie :thumbup: .

Lee (the gentleman at the Reception - Matroosberg) was extremely helpful in making sure we got sorted in the different chalets - bedding, heaters etc... with the temperature around 3 degrees C, trust me, LEE was my hero :wink: (for the weekend). Chalets are well maintained and offers pleasant braai areas.

Saturday morning, trail day, started off on a bad way! :thumbdown: The fuel hose between my main fuel tank and the long range tank was leaking....this is the hose running from the top of my main tank - like an overflow to the other tank. So after the m'gyver move i made, costing us a hour or two, we were on our way. The 33`s took some getting use to - gearing is diffent as i had to make use of LR 1st gear a few times, where in the past 2nd gear was ok on the 31`.

Landy-hill, as well as other obstacles was very interesting and provided for some good pics as well as lotsa frustration. Matroosberg also offers a obstacle course as well as mud-pit to play in for those not satisfied after the trail.

Shamely my bakkie came home with a few knocks:
1. my Gearmax difflock didnt work due to a crack in the plastic plate housing the air house and plug running to the actuating switch. ( if some one has one, please let me know? :angel:
2. The front suspension need some lifting as i ended up "hurting" my fender. :oops:

Overall, this is trail every one must do - scenic, technical, clean, well maintained - these are some words to describe Matroosberg.
Areas of improvent for my next trail/trip:
1. New fuel hose (including clamps)
2. Better front seats (i ended up using a pillow, but it kept shifting as the rocky roads caused
for some Voltarin and costly massages)
3. Eye patches for the women as they stress for every obstacle. :thumbup:

In conclusion, the Hilux could defend the sticker on its back - i might be slow but i go every where!
Attachments
Top of the world....
Top of the world....
Fuel hose drama
Fuel hose drama
No matter the snow - hierdie bakkie - vattie k@kkie!
No matter the snow - hierdie bakkie - vattie k@kkie!
Slowly does it ...
Slowly does it ...
Patrol sneaking over
Patrol sneaking over
Nice sounding V8
Nice sounding V8
as im told - life starts with 33`s...
as im told - life starts with 33`s...
The group together
The group together
Dadz Toy BFI

Re: Matroosberg - weekend away

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Nice report Mehl :thumbup: :clap:

Looks like you had a blast hey :P

I've got the comfy seats but SWAMBO would need more than an eye-patch :roll: :wink:

Can you tell us more, ie. Trail and Accomodation Cost, how many does a cottage sleep :?:
Klonkies
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Klonkies »

Thank you,

Sure -
The trail cost R250/vehicle but your allowed to do the trail as many times as you want, including the obstacle section and mud-pit.

Chalets sleep 4 people (2 double bunks), its equipped with a full kitchen (fridge, 2 plate stove and microwave)...the bath room is a bit small, but yet practicle, with a shower and hand basin. Extra towels and cloths are at hand too.

M
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Lekker Mehl! I have not done that route before, but I surely will. Are you not sorry you fitted the 33"s yet? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Klonkies
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Klonkies »

Morning Thys,

Not the least bit - well, besides for the turning circle restriction, i think i can get use to it.

:thumbup:

How do you manage the gearing? Having to use 1st gear instead of 2nd more often does make me a bit "alarmed" - is it normal to use 1st more often, or am i not using my revs properly in order to stay in 2nd gear when launching/pulling away on a steep incline or obstacle
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

You should use the gear that you feel most comfortable with based on the conditions and/or terrain, not the gear that every body else uses. Dont be alarmed, the 33"s will alter your gearing, but there are other advantages which will become clear as you get used to it. I also use 1L under some conditions but usually I pull away in 2L. :twisted: :twisted:

It is a lot of fun though :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Klonkies
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Klonkies »

True,
i noticed between the 33`s and the other Hilux on 31`s, i use far less wheel-spin thus maintaining better momentum.

oh - this 4x4 "virus" is really addictive! :thumbup:
2.8 d/cab SFA
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

:thumbup: nice, tx
all I want for xmas is 33's :shock:
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Hey Mehl,

Thanks for the report, yip 33's take some getting used to... I went from 265's to 33's... the first trip thereafter I spent trying to figure out which gear I should be in, with 33's, on rocky terrain like the Matroosberg mountain route L1 is recommended for most situations, unless you need a bit more momentum to get through an obstacle... then use L2/H1... but it's going to be bumpy! Of course then you go ride sand and the confusion starts all over again!

B :thumbup:
Pumba
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC112

Post by Pumba »

Looks like a great ride and something to put on the to do list.

I think putting 33 on these bakkies is like a bull dog showing it's teeth, don't mess with them. Saw Snipes' 33 in action this weekend past and it's definitely serious rubber.

Eish, eendag as ek groot is...
Jesus was blunt: "No chance at all if you think you can pull it off by yourself. Every chance in the world if you let God do it." Mark 10:27(Message)

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Thanks Mehl, nice! Looks very scenic, some more pics would have been lekker ... :D: :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Trail Reports”