Two Oceans - 4th July 2009

Tell us about your favorite 4x4 trail. Tell us how easy or difficult it was, is there escape routes for the faint hearted? Please add some photographs if you can.
Dadz Toy BFI

Two Oceans - 4th July 2009

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

When the gal at the Padstal warned me of the poor state of the Trail “the red routes have been closed due to the damage from the fires, flooding and storms, so you may have to turn back….”; I knew that we’d be in for a treat. :thumbup:

The first treat came in the form of a very clean 1986 2.2 DC pulling into the parking area. The driver Mauritz Viljoen has been a Forum Member since October 2007 though he’s been so busy reading he’s not yet taken the opportunity to introduce us to his Toy. I was real pleased to see this vehicle as it is (was) the Identical specification to Dadz; the first one I’ve seen to date. Amazingly Mauritz’s Toy still has its original 4Y with over 440,000 on the clock and she looks and sounds great. (see peekchaz). Let’s hope we can persuade Mauritz to play a more active part in the Forum in future, though he’s on the right track - his Lux is already sporting a Forum Sticker on its rear.
:thumbup:

Having done this Trail twice before I anticipated no surprises from this “softer route,” however I was pleasantly proven wrong. The first shock came in the form of a R50 additional cost to facilitate a key deposit for the now gated approach; refundable on completion of the Trail. Sadly this recent inclusion is the result of some of our “lesser brethren” taking the p*ss. :x

Once through the gate we were treat to a weather beaten Red Route which didn’t disappoint. The recent heavy rains had accentuated the dongger strewn steep muddy climbs and descents adding a grade or two to the more challenging obstacles; expect Grade 3-4 by Kaap Standards. :mrgreen:

The benefits of Dadz new Mikem suspension were immediately evident; Dadz tip-toed through the worst the Trail had to offer making light work of the donggers and allowing a lekker ICV crawl up the steep stuff with just an occasional tickle of the noise-pedal to give her pointing in the right direction. :shifty:

The biggest surprise of the day was the re-shaping of the approach at Boomslang. Previously vehicles could turn and park up at the end of the long slippery descent through the trees, in preparation for the steep climb out. Now however the approach has been fenced off and the only way out is by making a three point turn immediately at the bottom of the steep descent and engage 1st Low to gain the maximum traction required to attack the slippery ascent out – a nice addition which calls for a good degree of technical vehicle craft. (conveys beware!) :thumbup:

The final climb to the viewpoint was badly eroded and very slippery but Dadz made light work through the loose stuff on the left hand side with just the odd fishtailing requiring some throttle to carry her through. :thumbup:

Our Trail companions; Peter the proud owner of a 1990 SFA DC sporting a Frod V6 power plant and his great buddy in a Jeep had some fun adhering to the advice and running up the Blue Route. Though a little lonely at the viewpoint we were treat to those awesome views over False Bay to the left and Stellenbosch to the right. Later the Jeep joined us at the top via the escape route and Peter chose the serenity and equally beautiful lower viewpoint by the dam turn off. :wink:

All in all a great day and the right answers I was looking for as to my latest investment; Mikem Offroad Suspension with extended Safari shocks = A Good Investment for any SFA :clap: :thumbup: :mrgreen:
Attachments
P7043890-Log Ride.jpg
P7043903-Mauritz's SFA - Niiiice!.jpg
P7043828-At the Gate.jpg
P7043835-happy to see the wet stuff.jpg
P7043837-At the Top.jpg
P7043899-Fellow Trailers.jpg
P7043900-When Jeeps were Jeeps.jpg
P7043904-That's Inflation for you.jpg
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Two Oceans - 4th July 2009

Post by Family_Dog »

Nice one, Rich! Love that green scenery, every thing's a beautiful shade of brown here after the cold snap we've just had :)

We need to see more of Mauritz' bakkie!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Family_Dog wrote:Nice one, Rich! Love that green scenery, every thing's a beautiful shade of brown here after the cold snap we've just had :)

We need to see more of Mauritz' bakkie!

-F_D
I've got more (c'mon do you think "Mr.Peekchaz Asblf.....!" would miss the opportunity :twisted: ) :thumbup:

Maybe I should hold back to give Mauritz the chance to do his Intro nê :think:

F_D, I had tears in my eyes; Dadz, Bulldog and her could be Triplets :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

F_D, I had tears in my eyes; Dadz, Bulldog and her could be Triplets :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Rich, yes... it brought a tear to my eye too... :D Truly bee-aatiful! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

wacky
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 1996 dc raider 2,4

Post by wacky »

ah man ;wish i could have gone with;had some family issues ; anyway by the looks of it u guys must have enjoyed it.lekkka mud pools. Dadz ive seen your vehicle on the M5 already,want to sya that bakkie looks familiar.will join u on the next trail.yes please more peechaz. :thumbup:
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

wacky wrote:ah man ;wish i could have gone with;had some family issues ; anyway by the looks of it u guys must have enjoyed it.lekkka mud pools. Dadz I've seen your vehicle on the M5 already,want to say that bakkie looks familiar.will join u on the next trail.yes please more peechaz. :thumbup:
Yep Dadz loves the M5, M3, N1, N2 staad side (Obz is at the centre of the trapezium of land in the middle) :P

Hoot next time Man :!: :!: :wink:

OK................ just "one more Peekcha" of Mauritz' bodacious beauty :shifty:

(we are not worthy Mr. Viljoen) :mrgreen:

Righteous..... :angel:
Attachments
P7043902-Makeshift Handbrake.jpg
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Nice.

Rich, does Dadz have a handbrake issue as per your last pic?

Mauritz, welcom here and come and have a chat :thumbup:
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Niel wrote:Nice.

Rich, does Dadz have a handbrake issue as per your last pic?
Yebo :oops:

Check out the this Thread, I need to do Jaco's Mod :oops:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7289&start=20
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Are there more action shots? Or did you guys just park around the trees? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mauritz Viljoen
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Richardsbaai KZN
Vehicle: Hilux SC 3.0D4D 4X4 Legend 40

Post by Mauritz Viljoen »

Hi everyone, I introduced myself under Meet the people.
There are some more pics of my bakkie as well.
Have a good day
2.8 d/cab SFA
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

:thumbup: mooi,
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage