Trail Report - Atlantis Dunes Octoberfest 2009

Tell us about your favorite 4x4 trail. Tell us how easy or difficult it was, is there escape routes for the faint hearted? Please add some photographs if you can.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Trail Report - Atlantis Dunes Octoberfest 2009

Post by ThysdJ »

I know this is totally unacceptable and extremely rude, but I have not done the trail report yet. Daai Andries Blaaw van Rosh Pinah het nie einde nie, and he kept us very busy this entire weekend. I will, however, do my utmost to have a trail report ready for you before midnight tonight. :? :?

Another thing, my camera's battery gave up the ghost after about 5 photographs were taken so I need you guys to start posting some pics if you dont mind. Niel you took millions of pics, I know because that was all you did, the KZ was parked under a dune the whole time... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Once again a big Toyota Hilux 4x4.co.za Club thank you to all the attendees, the helpers, sponsors, and families and friends who made this day possible. Well done and great stuff guys, from here on it can only get better. :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: Trail Report - Atlantis Dunes Octoberfest 2009

Post by Mr_B »

All the pics from the event arrangement thread:

Blindmans Bluff!

Joel and Nathan - Dune Surfing

RustyRod - Sonder Diffloc - Brakes - Brakes - Brakes...

The Big Dune Challenge - Well done Buff!

Bretton giving it plenty.

Thys flying the flag... Weeee Peeeeeee

Manie's Monster

Dune board action #1

Buff showing the kids how it's done :-)

Wipe Out - Nathan

Dune charge #1 (sorry, not sure who this was)

Hoppy's advice on 1st HR, foot flat managed to get me 1st place in the standings

Rooikappie (Lourens) navigating the Horse shoe. Which way now?

mr b :thumbup:
Last edited by Mr_B on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
King Rat
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by King Rat »

Thanks to the organisers and participants that made this day a jol for me and my whole family! We really enjoyed it and it's sets me up to get them to do this with me very easily in the future :twisted:
The competition was really fun and a black sinister 4Y drove us all kisboude up the dune! :thumbup: :clap: :clap: I was really impressed Wolffie!
Datsun GX Coupe 1200
99 Subaru Legacy GT
07 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6

Lampropeltis getula californiae, Orthriophis taeniura friesi, Morelia spilota, Python brongersmai, Epicrates chenchria maurus, Python regius
Buff
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: D-4D Hilux Raider 4x4

Post by Buff »

Queenrat and son tackling the dunes in a flatbed toyota :wink:
Atlantis_Oct09 243.JPG
Hilux 2.7 Raider D/Cab 4x4
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Did anyone take pics of Hoppy's beetle bonnet sand-ski... I'm definitely making myself one of those... lekker... next time we go to the dunes I plan on spending a bit more time perfecting my dune surfing technique!

mr b :thumbup:
0000DS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: Tuna, 4X4, Longrange Fuel tank, BF's AT, Intergrated bumber, Roofrack, Awning, Air suspension,winch

Post by 0000DS »

Nice happy snappies :lol: :lol: :lol:
:thumbup:
Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vryheid Natal
Vehicle: 2003 HILEX, 35" maxxis. 2009 Prado 120 VX

Post by Bushwacker »

Dit lyk nou moerse lekker. Ek laaik daai Rooi lorrie :thumbup:
Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

some of the pics
Attachments
October171009 017 (Large).jpg
October171009 016 (Large).jpg
October171009 014 (Large).jpg
October171009 007 (Large).jpg
October171009 005 (Large).jpg
October171009 002 (Large).jpg
October171009 001 (Large).jpg
Niel

Post by Niel »

some more
Attachments
October171009 037 (Large).jpg
October171009 034 (Large).jpg
October171009 030 (Large).jpg
October171009 028 (Large).jpg
October171009 025 (Large).jpg
October171009 023 (Large).jpg
October171009 022 (Large).jpg
October171009 021 (Large).jpg
Niel

Post by Niel »

some more ...
Attachments
October171009 049 (Large).jpg
October171009 048 (Large).jpg
October171009 046 (Large).jpg
October171009 043 (Large).jpg
October171009 042 (Large).jpg
October171009 040 (Large).jpg
October171009 039 (Large).jpg
October171009 038 (Large).jpg
Buff
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: D-4D Hilux Raider 4x4

Post by Buff »

A few more on the Sand boarding side... action shots:

Guess what happens next !!!!
Boys_Atlantis_Oct09 166.jpg
Boys_Atlantis_Oct09 166.jpg (185.71 KiB) Viewed 4763 times
Michael having a huge OFF !!!
Mike_Atlantis_Oct09 188.jpg
Terron styling (Buff's navigator)... he enjoyed it so much he's now looking to buy an SFA.
Terron_Atlantis_Oct09 228.jpg
Hilux 2.7 Raider D/Cab 4x4
Niel

Post by Niel »

more
Attachments
October171009 062 (Large).jpg
October171009 061 (Large).jpg
October171009 058 (Large).jpg
Morne at the top
Morne at the top
October171009 055 (Large).jpg
Alan op en af al weer heheh - moet seker daai hemp wees wat hom so gejaag het
Alan op en af al weer heheh - moet seker daai hemp wees wat hom so gejaag het
October171009 051 (Large).jpg
Niel

Post by Niel »

more
Attachments
October171009 011 (Large).jpg
October171009 011.jpg
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Sorry it took me a little while to get my bearings on this trip report, but here it is and I hope it was worth the wait. :shock: :shock: :shock:

A beautiful sunny morning on Saturday 17/10 and we were almost all on time at the Main gate at Atlantis, except for Niel whose turn it was to make a grand entrance. Here are the guys who attended:

1.) King Rat (Coenie)
2.) Hoppy (Allan)
3.) Kaspaas (Me)
4.) Dino
5.) Lourens Rooikappietjie
6.) Voetsek (Carlo)
7.) RustyRod (Bretton)
8.) Niel
9.) Buff (Brett)
10.) Mauritz Viljoen
11.) Manie the Maniac
12.) Wolffie2 (Leon Olckers)
13.) Morne
14.) Rolbos
15.) Tornado

These guys were also there, but they had their own private party and we met up with them later at the Horse Shoe.
Richard & Chalene
Calum & Claire
Andre & Lisa
Arno & Jessica

After a short little how-do-you-do, we got straight into it and made our way to the "Badprop" hole. Here a few of the guys started playing while Allan and I set off to set up the track for the Blind Driving game. Unfortunately Manie had to leave us at that time, he had other engagements to attend to, but not before he showed us what he and his impressive machine can do. :thumbup:

Blind Man's Bluff:
Allan set out a nice track in a circle with a parking bay and a reasonably long reverse section to get out the gate. In this game the driver is blindfolded and the co-driver sits with hands on the dash board and gives instructions to the driver to negotiate the track in the quickest time with as few as possible tape-touches, and or roll backs. We had a lot of fun with some of the guys had long discussions in the car while trying to avoid the tape and the posts. :silent: :silent:

One of the conversations went something like this: "Kim you have to tell me where I am, I have no idea where I am". One would almost expect the next sentence to be "Beam me up Scotty" or "Luke I am your father". At one stage I had to tell them to get on with it or I would have to penalise them with a roll-back for standing still so long. Needless to say He-of-Much-Rustyness did it in the slowest possible time. (dinosaurs went extinct in less time). :shock: :P :lol: :lol:

Dino took the "Bull-in-a-China-Shop" approach and it worked for him because he did the straight parts really fast and then had 1 rollback to get round the tight bits and out the gate. Even with the rollback penalty he still came in 2nd. Morne also tried this, with limited success. Niel was playing the chicken in a Nando's add. But he did take lots of photographs. :shock: :crazy: :angel: :angel:

The other competitors all did it in reasonable times and the winners were :
1 Louis Botha (Rolbos)
2 Dino Burnett (Dino)
3 Brett (Buff)

All these competitors had male co-pilots. I am not sure how that influenced the outcome exactly.

Dune Charge:
Starting points were marked out at the base of a nice steep high dune (the one where Bees showed the 4Y clan how to do it last time). We decided to give the 4Y's and standard vehicles with 31" and smaller tyres a longer run-up than the modifieds and those with 33" tyres for more grip. As Bretton was the only one with a 4Y with 33" he was allowed some lee-way but he still got nowhere. :twisted: :twisted:

This turned out to be a real humdinger, with everybody trying to squeeze every extra mm of run-up out of the marshals and sand flying as the guys tried to get max grip out of the wet sand on take off. The big surprise of the day came in the form of Wolffie with his Black Beauty. Andries Blaauw (our honourary international Hilux representative from Namibia the land of sand dunes) advised him on the pro's of deflated tyres and before we knew it a black streak flew away and almost over the top of the dune, kicking sand in the eyes of some of the modifieds!! Well done Wolffie, that sure was impressive and a well deserved 2nd place in the standard class. Buff in his 2.7 was equally impressive and made the top spot in the standard class with a very nicely timed run after a solid take-off with minimal wheel spin. Morne in his 2.7 bull nose completed the top 3 in the Standard class. :thumbup:

In the end it was Louis Rolbos (7MGE with 33" MTR's) that took top honours in the Modified class, dashing up and almost over the top. Carlo Voetsek also had an impressive run but not enough to take the nr 1 spot and Dino on almost flat tyres clinched 3rd spot. Well done guys!! :clap: :clap:

Standards:
1 Brett (Buff) 2.7i
2) Leon Olckers (Wolffie) 4Y
3) Morne 2.7i

Modifieds
1 Louis Botha (Rolbos)
2 Carlo (Voetsek)
3 Dino Burnett (Dino)

After the competition was done, we started playing and some of the competitors managed to get further and further up the dune than in the actual competition. Then Allan took the wheel of Bretton's (Rusty) Bolt and showed him how to drive a 4Y with 33"s, going sideways up and down with Bretton hyperventilating down below. Kaspaas also made a run or 2 up the dune and surprisingly actually made it to the top. :lol: :shock:

Dino was flying up and down the dune in his 22R with tyres as low as 0.2bar, made possible by the fact that he was running really cool bead-lockers.

From the Dune charge we travelled to the Horse Shoe, where the guys did a bit of free style driving. The sand was really hard and compacted so it was not as difficult as it nomally can be. We did the prize giving and a nice post trail discussion and some of the guys got out their portable braais and lit their fires to have a lekker braai.

The trophies AEW sponsored came in the form of coffee mugs with the Hilux Club logo on it, 1st, 2nd or 3rd place and the words "Octoberfest Atlantis Dunes". This was a really practical and novel idea. Not only is it a good looking trophy, but it serves as a reminder of the fun you had on the day every time you have a cup of coffee. Very usefull Allan thank you very much! As we ran out of time (Bretton took so long on the Blind Man's Bluff) we didnt get round to our 3rd competition, so we had a spare set of trophies to give away and we did it as part of the lucky draw. These coffee mugs are once-off unique items, so count yourselves lucky if you have one. Some guys even have 2 and can invite a friend over for coffee, ne Oom Louis?? :twisted: :twisted:
Picture 265.jpg
Picture 266.jpg
Picture 267.jpg

Coenie was one of the lucky winners of a set of Hilux4x4 Thermal Mugs and the other pair went to Morne. The Red Pepper Bash Plate Grand Prize went to Louis Rolbos who seemed to have all the luck on his side this time around.

I want to thank Allan for his assistance in organising and facilitating the events, playing time-keeper and for all the advice to the less experienced drivers and sponsoring the trophies. Also a kind word of thanks to our other sponsor Cobus from Red Pepper Bullbars. Your generosity is well noted. :clap: :clap: :clap:

The day was a resounding success and it would be great to get this group together again at our next event. Until next time, happy trails!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
pic 002.jpg
pic 005.jpg
pic 006.jpg
Thys de Jager

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Lekker!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
DINO
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: CAPE TOWN.SOMERSET WEST
Vehicle: 00 DISCO 2 V8i

Post by DINO »

Baie dankie aan almal vir Saterdag ,dit was groot pret.
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Post by legend35 »

Thanks for the nice picks.Im jealous :thumbup:
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
Mauritz Viljoen
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Richardsbaai KZN
Vehicle: Hilux SC 3.0D4D 4X4 Legend 40

Post by Mauritz Viljoen »

Baie dankie aan almal, veral die organiseerders en ook die sponsors. Ek het dit baie geniet en baie geleer. Ek sal definitief weer 'n draai op die duine gaan ry.
wolffie02
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux no more
Club VHF Licence: HC370

Post by wolffie02 »

jis dit was lekker

het baie geleer.
dankie aan Andries van Rosh Pinah man jy ken jou storie.

Maar wat anders kan mens verwag dit is mos Duine wereld daai.

Ja die swart varkie het lekker geklim en my skoon verbaas.

weereens thanx ouens dit was great
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Dit was n baie lekker "outing", die mense het die sand en die son na die lang winter net soveel geniet soos die bestuurders, die engelsman het vir "entertainment" gesorg en Kaspaas kon sy ou streepvlaggie vir die laaste keer die jaar swaai!, dis jammer die rugby het n stokkie voor die braai en "afterparty" gesteek. As jy kyk hoe die Colt met sy V6, 33"s, beadloc rims, coustom suspension, diff locks ens, gevaar het, dan weet ons hoekom ons Hilux ry!

Dankie Oom Thys vir die event, was lanklaas daar, my famielie het dit net so saam met my geniet.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: '89 Hilux SFA - SOLD; '95 Hilux - STOLEN; '67 Series 2A Land Rover; 3.5 V6 Pajero; 120 Prado VX 4.0

Post by the BuTch3R »

Looks like you guys had an awesome time! I missed out BIGTIME :cry: Will have to get my priorities straight for next time. Weddings, mini-cricket matches and kiddies parties come second to the Dunes :thumbup:

By the way, what was the price of the sponsor? :Geek: :wink:
price.gif
price.gif (16.25 KiB) Viewed 4699 times
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

They sponsored a voucher for a coustom made bashplate.
aev@iburst.co.za
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Lets do an Engelsman correction :twisted:

Thanks Red Pepper
For sponsoring a prize this weekend

the BuTch3R
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: '89 Hilux SFA - SOLD; '95 Hilux - STOLEN; '67 Series 2A Land Rover; 3.5 V6 Pajero; 120 Prado VX 4.0

Post by the BuTch3R »

Oh!......a PRIZE :twisted:

Easy mistake though.... Spell checker wouldn't have picked that up either. :wink:
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

I uploaded all Allan and Suzette's photographs to the following Photobucket Album:

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee26 ... toberfest/

There are some really nice ones there. I will post a few shortly... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Here are some nice piccies:

Sandboarding - The kids had a ball! Some of the bigger kids too.. :twisted: :twisted:

Coenie Rat on his Dune Charge run:

Morne on his Dune Charge Run:

Carlo on his Dune Charge Run:

Louis Rolbos on his Dune Charge Run:

Wolffie and his Black Beast (Carb Fed 4Y):

Brett on his Dune Charge Run:

Bretton on his Dune Charge:

Dino on his Dune Charge:

Because Kim wasn't there to tell Bretton where he was, he went all skeef on the dune and from then on all the vehicles followed his tracks. Including Kaspaas.

And Dino:

So I made new tracks:

And got to the top:
Thys de Jager

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Some more:

Allan putting the Rusty Bolt though his paces. Showing Bretton how it's supposed to be done.

Allan on the way down.

Bretton beginning to dig somebody's grave... I think his name is Allan... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Louis Rolbos Grand Prize winner:

Coenie winner of 2 Hilux4x4 Thermal Mugs:

Morne winner of 2 Hilux4x4 Thermal Mugs:

Carlo receiving his trophy:

Dino receiving his trophy:

Leon Wolffie receiving his well deserved trophy:

Brett receiving his trophy:

Bretton and his newest best friend:
Thys de Jager

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Kaspaas wrote: Because Kim wasn't there to tell Bretton where he was, he went all skeef on the dune and from then on all the vehicles followed his tracks. Including Kaspaas.
Some will lead(in reverse)... and others will follow! :twisted:
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

No man, kaspaas was trying to get away from the flag! :lol:
aev@iburst.co.za
Bloues
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Hilux 2.2 D/C

Post by Bloues »

nee nee nee - julle maak ons erg jaloers - lyk jul groot "lekker" gehad het... :clap: :clap: :clap: .....dis net daai WP vlag ---- waar is die harks mense in die kaap........
Sit nog foto's !!!!!
Bloues
(Nie blou bul maar SHARKS ondersteuner)
Don't fence me in.....
'91 D/Cab 2.2(4y) AKA - Bloues. Lifted Suspension, Dual Battery, 80Liter Freezer, Bridgestone Dueler A/T, 29Mhz Radio, Mud Creeper Winch(Aus), EasyAwn Rooftop Tent, Roofrack, Garmin Nuvi, Long Range Fuel Tank, Jacks+straps for landi recovery.....
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Bloues wrote:nee nee nee - julle maak ons erg jaloers - lyk jul groot "lekker" gehad het... :clap: :clap: :clap: .....dis net daai WP vlag ---- waar is die harks mense in die kaap........
Sit nog foto's !!!!!
Die Sharks mense ken hulle plek, in KZN, hulle probeer hulle nie orals in wurm soos die Blou Bulle nie... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Bloues
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Hilux 2.2 D/C

Post by Bloues »

OK,
op die stadium is ons onder die grond.......stilllllllllllllllllllllllllll :silent: :silent: :silent:
Bloues
(Nie blou bul maar SHARKS ondersteuner)
Don't fence me in.....
'91 D/Cab 2.2(4y) AKA - Bloues. Lifted Suspension, Dual Battery, 80Liter Freezer, Bridgestone Dueler A/T, 29Mhz Radio, Mud Creeper Winch(Aus), EasyAwn Rooftop Tent, Roofrack, Garmin Nuvi, Long Range Fuel Tank, Jacks+straps for landi recovery.....
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

op die stadium is ons onder die grond.......stilllllllllllllllllllllllllll :silent: :silent: :silent:

...........is dit nie onder die see nie?
aev@iburst.co.za
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Bloues wrote:OK,
moenie worri mos ne? :twisted: die Bulls kom join julle volgende naweek.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Hier is so paar fotos wat Louis (Rolbos) gestuur het:
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Rolbos
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: Toyota Hi Lux 3.0Lt Twin Cam

Post by Rolbos »

Ek kan ook net se baie dankie aan al die Hilux manne wat die dag besonder aangenaam gemaak het.
Hoppy, ek moet darem vir jou se die braai was toe al te lekker voor die "Game". Ons was net 3 voertuie oor nadat jy daar weg is, maar dit was "nice". Ons was toe nog betyds om die game te sien ook. Jammer iemand se vlag hang nou halfmas. (Shame! )
Maar toemaar, volgende jaar gaan dit dalk beter.
Nogmaals dankie aan almal wat die dag spesiaal gemaak het.
Ons sal mekaar weer sien.
Groetnis :thumbup:
"Wat jy gee, bepaal hoe gelukkig jy lewe"

Return to “Trail Reports”