Please take note - Moz travel!

Read this before embarking on a Trip or Trail
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Please take note - Moz travel!

Post by OOOOMS »

For those planning a trip to Moz (from T4A forum)

If you travel to Mozambique by car you must know this new law:

Se viaja para Moçambique fique a saber das novas leis do
tráfego:

Dear ALL,

Below find the essential rules of the new traffic laws in both Portuguese and English.

It is essential that all staff are aware of these and that this information is
passed to the drivers. I expect the traffic police to be particularly vigilant
in stopping vehicle drivers found contravening these laws.

=======================

As from the 1st April 2009, a new traffic code will enter in force.
Please take note of the 6 main rules of the new code:

article 81-- Seat belt mandatory use for all passengers -
article 83-- Use of a mobile phone forbidden while driving -
article 27-- Speed control: Maximum speed authorized within the city 60 Km/h -
article 80-- Blood alcohol level limited to 0.6 g/l of blood (corresponding approximatively to 2 glasses of beer or wine - but depending on age, sex and weight can vary) -
article 84-- Insurance Certificate of the Vehicle mandatory -
article 87-- All motor vehicles should be equipped, in addition of the a warning triangle, with a reflective jacket -
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Re: Please take note - Moz travel!

Post by Scooter »

Thanks Mark :thumbup:

The only difference really from previous is as you have pointed out, Reflective jacket.
I would make sure that you have a jacket for every person in the vahicle, not just one. They are not expensive and could save your life when stopped on the side of the road at night for an emergency. :wink:
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Good point, will try and find out.
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Ek wil nou nie negatief klink of wat wat nie maar die vet weet as ons boere erens wil gaan moet ons darem maar agteroor buig om ander te accommodate wat skaars die kuns bemeester het om regop te kan loop. :thumbdown: Is dit dan nog die moeitewerd om te gaan in die eersteplek :?:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I dont think I follow Jaco?
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

ons moet altyd alles doen om by ander se wette aan te pas en alles he om erens heen te gaan anders is jy in die moeilikheid of hulle wil jou toesluit of iets, maar wat van die locals, geld die reels nie vir hulle ook nie? Maar ek sien dit orals as die ouens n witman sien sien hulle geld om temaak en die reels is net van toepassing op ons. Hulle weet ons sal maar buig om te doen wat ons wil doen. Selfs hier in Saudi, as jy n kamera of iets koop is daar 3 pryse, n local prys vir hulle mense n prys vir die oosterlinge en n witman prys, en ek het seker nie nodig om tese watter een is die duurste prys nie.
As jy op gaan in Afrika moet jy alles en almal omkoop om iets regtekry wat einlik iets eenvoudigs is, in die Congo, Nigeria, Algeria oral ek weet want ek was daar, alles is n mission. So Mozambique is nie anders nie. Ek mag verkeerd wees. Ek dink ek het net al teveel met die lot gesukkel, en alles gaan oor geld niks anders nie, hulle glo mos as jy nie soos hulle lyk nie het jy baie.
Maar hulle se "when in Rome, do like the Romans"
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

I tend to agree with Jaco.I am also planing a trip some where in the future to Moz.But all the stuff I read lately I am getting second thoughts.Even if you comply with everything they will still find fault :evil: .
I think it must still be a great experience if you can get over all the problems.
But for now I will enjoy less hassle free places :thumbup: :thumbup:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

george wrote:I think it must still be a great experience if you can get over all the problems.
Stem saam
george wrote:But for now I will enjoy less hassle free places
:thumbup: :thumbup: :wink:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I go to Moz every second year in December and while crossing the border can be a bad experience if you get there late or don't have all you paper work in order, the rest of the experience is great.

In fact, I enjoy it so much that I will be tying the knot on the beach at Vilankulos this December. :silent:

Do yourselfs a favour and dont let one or two guys bad experiences (and that out of how many who cross the borders) scare you into believing that every white man who crosses the border will be accosted and harrassed.

We have never had a problem and don't expect a problem any time soon. We abide by the rules that we would here in SA.
The problem is, and it is evident when you go to Ponto especially, that the guys who visit think because they are on holiday they don't need to abide by those rules.

Let's face it, the rules stipulated above are nothing different to SA, so why should we forget them just because we are on holiday?

Bribery is rife in all countries and believe me, the harrasment we get from our own police is far worse that anything you will get travelling through mozambique.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

We have been going to Moz (middle to North) for the past 8 years. Personally you can't beat their beaches and fishing water's. The kids love it and roam around freely till late in the evening without being scared or attacked. We allow them to play in the dunes etc.

One thing as mentioned before. ZA residents think they can do as they please however forget they are in another country and you have to abide by their laws and regulations. If you don't, you will pay the price or...

Moz is beautiful and does not have the crowds as in ZA. I ENJOY THE PEACE AND QUIET, not 60 000 people NEXT TO ME AND UNABLE TO FIND PARKING NEAR THE BEACH.

So please spread the word, Moz is terrible, there will be less people and I can enjoy my holiday more!
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

OOOOMS wrote:
So please spread the word, Moz is terrible, there will be less people and I can enjoy my holiday more!
I second that :thumbup: :thumbup:
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

it is great to hear some positive feedback :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Beach near Pemba
Attachments
IMG_4670 (Small).JPG
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

....more
Attachments
IMG_4713 (Small).JPG
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

Goed om tehoor dit is nie so bad nie, Mark ek sal saam met jou gaan een dag as ek terug is :thumbup: :thumbup:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Look, Moz is not everyone's cuppa tea, if you or your wife like to mall-crawl, don't go.
If you don't like the heat 45deg in summer don't go.
If you don't like sand between your toes, dont...
If you like fast service, don't...

But the pro's out-weigh the con's by far :!:
Attachments
IMG_4876 (Small).JPG
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Look, Moz is not everyone's cuppa tea, if you or your wife like to mall-crawl, don't go.
If you don't like the heat 45deg in summer don't go.
If you don't like sand between your toes, dont...
If you like fast service, don't...
No stop it Mark.You are now making very much lus :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Me in Zanzi.I did not had the Lux there,but at least i weared the T-shirt
Zanzi.JPG
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Looks nice, had to look twice at the pic, looks just like one of my pice's from Pemba,

Personally I have not been up to Zanzibar, but would like to, I think the further N you go, da better.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

I spent the Millenium evening till sunrise on Benguerra Island, Moz touched me, :P

despite me hating sand and mosquito's; both of which Moz has plenty of nê :x

I'm planning to visit again for 4 weeks; entering from Malawi with a slow trip down the coast back to RSA. :wink:

I'm relying on the Forum to keep me up to speed on the Intel', so it's this kind of post I'm keen to read. :wink:

In 2000 we got pulled up for being shirtless in the vehicle; seems like the Police were just desperate to take Petty Cash off us any way they could think off, that thing is all part of Africa's nuances though hey :roll:

Thanks again :wink:

Rich
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

When are you planning this trip for?

Yea, forgot about the Mozzies, got Malaria in Jan '09, not nice (mozzies don't usually bite me) in Quelimane, known as the Mozzie capital of Moz. What Malaria dote are will you be using?
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

July 2012

I know things change quickly Mark, but history has a habit of repeating itself so I like to keep my ear to the ground. :wink:

I used to live in a Celebral Malaria Zone so I'm accustomed to using a daily combo; I've seen too many Trippy Kidz due to Larium. :shock:

What's your choice of prophylactic Mark :?:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

2012???? That's still looooooong time from now....but July is a good time to go.

Our medicine, um, um, um will have to check with the wife...that's her department. Think it's called kwartum(drops) or something like that. Homeopathic medicine and also an antidote if detected early. Good for all kids and adults.
If u need more info I can provide.
Where are you planning on entering Moz from Malawi?
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

OOOOMS wrote:
If u need more info I can provide.
please :thumbup:

OOOOMS wrote:
Where are you planning on entering Moz from Malawi?
That is a good question, I'm going to take it under advisement :thumbup:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Will get the info for you, there is a homeopath in Pta we get the stuff from. Always good to test it before leaving (as we usually don't) but you should 'test' this month's before you go, as some medicine's have side affects, and you don't want this when you are 1/2 weeks into your trip. Then it's to late...and can spoil your trip.

My cousin and his wife came through Malawi last year and when they got to the border post(via GPS), wanting to enter Moz, the border was closed...they had to make a 2000km detour and cost them dearly, in time and fuel.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

OOOOMS wrote:Will get the info for you, there is a homeopath in Pta we get the stuff from. Always good to test it before leaving (as we usually don't) but you should 'test' this month's before you go, as some medicine's have side affects, and you don't want this when you are 1/2 weeks into your trip. Then it's to late...and can spoil your trip.
thanks that's much appreciated :thumbup:
OOOOMS wrote: My cousin and his wife came through Malawi last year and when they got to the border post(via GPS), wanting to enter Moz, the border was closed...they had to make a 2000km detour and cost them dearly, in time and fuel.
Eeeish, that's just what I won't need :cry:

Hoping that this Forum will come through for me. I hate to re-invent the wheel enol :roll: :wink:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Sorry the stuff is called 'Polisan' the daily prevension medicine, the antidote is called 'fancidar', 'coartem' can also be used.
'Polisan' 10 drops on your arm externally and you then rub it into your skin. 1.5 bottles per person per month. They cost approx. R85.00 per bottle.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

OOOOMS wrote:Sorry the stuff is called 'Polisan' the daily prevention medicine, the antidote is called 'fancidar', 'coartem' can also be used.
'Polisan' 10 drops on your arm externally and you then rub it into your skin. 1.5 bottles per person per month. They cost approx. R85.00 per bottle.
Jeepers Mark, that's a darn site cheaper than Pharmaceutical Combo prophylaxis and no doubt no where near as the toxicity to the immune system :o:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Yip, but remember it's only a preventative treatment. You still need to do the 'tabbard / peaceful' sleep thing.

What's nice, you can 'test' for Malaria with the drops....I can explain how later if you go this route.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

OOOOMS wrote:Yip, but remember it's only a preventative treatment. You still need to do the 'tabbard / peaceful' sleep thing.

What's nice, you can 'test' for Malaria with the drops....I can explain how later if you go this route.

sounds most intriguing :P

I couldn't agree more, prevention is better than cure mos.

When I lived in a high risk area for 18 months, I almost became paranoid about Mosquitoes, I guess that you had to as the consequences of being bitten were life-threatening and although that I was 15 yrs ago now I'm still affected by the sound of a mozzy in the night. :oops:

Every bed in our home has a mosquito net above it and plug-ins.... and hey I live in Cape Town :roll:

I 'm the first one to break out the tabbard sticks and longs on a camping trip in the Cape :shifty:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Yep, prevention is certainly better... I thought I was going to die, didn't think it could get so bad!!! Don't wish it for anyone.

That border post was at the most Southern point of Malawi / on the Moz side 'Vila Nova de Fronteira'
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

OOOOMS wrote:Yep, prevention is certainly better... I thought I was going to die, didn't think it could get so bad!!! Don't wish it for anyone.

That border post was at the most Southern point of Malawi / on the Moz side 'Vila Nova de Fronteira'
Is it a fact or Myth that you can never destroy the Malaria Parasite thus you'll have it for life and can look forward to recurring bouts :?:

Sorry - my only experience of Malaria affected associates didn't survive to tell their tale :( :shock:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Fact, come's back every year. :eh:
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

OOOOMS wrote:Fact, come's back every year. :eh:
aaaarggghh, that must be a livin' hell :evil:

note to myself......

Check all the plug-ins, spray the nets, close the windows....... :shock: :roll:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

The only difference really from previous is as you have pointed out, Reflective jacket.
I would make sure that you have a jacket for every person in the vahicle, not just one. They are not expensive and could save your life when stopped on the side of the road at night for an emergency
Scooter, just to get back to your question: My cousin was in Moz 2 weeks ago and found out from the officials: they advise that every person in the vehicle is required to have proof of a 'safety jacket'.

So for those planning to go to Moz in the near future: Please make a note of this. :thumbup:

I just went and bought 10 on Saturday 5 for OOOOMS and 5 for OOOODS ! :evil:
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Thanks Mark, I will be there in December :wave:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Also ensure all wear safery-belts including passengers in the back, and x2 'drie hoeke' :thumbup:
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Yeah, that is the one thing that I always have to remind the guys when we go and we are usually pretty good with it.
In all the years we have been going we have only had one fine and that was for speeding, the first fine we have had that cost Mt 1 000 000. :oops:

Return to “Pre-Trail Driver's briefing”