Western Kgalagadi Conservation Corridor Craft Project

Here you can post information of charities and charities in need or any good ideas you have on helping charities.
felixh
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 4x4 LN106

Western Kgalagadi Conservation Corridor Craft Project

Post by felixh »

Hi all, I am new to the forum and to 4x4 in general, but I think the bug bit me!
I drive an old Hilux LN106 [import?] with a KZTE 3l TD conversion, so its a bit of a Frankenstein.

I work part time as a Project manager for an NGO that does development work all over SA and some of the neighbouring countries. We work in the hand craft sector, teaching crafters better skills, developing better products, and most importantly teaching them basic business and life skills, so they can run their small enterprises more efficiently, and provide better for themselves and their families. A bit of a “teach them to fish” thing.

Here is the gist of my post:

We are in the process of receiving a grant from Conservation International, who is working in this part of Botswana on tourism and craft projects. (we are operating from Cape Town)

My brief requires me to work with about 30-40 crafters in +/- 12 villages from Ghanzi in the north Ukwi in the West and Kang in the east.
We are planning 4-5 two week trips to the area, where we divided the villages into 4 clusters. (We need to make several trips to do work there and then also back in SA to link them to markets etc.)

Now the problem: The funding doesn't cover everything (only the training and some equipment, fuel etc) for a start.
We need some sponsorship or if any of you have advice/opinions/input all is welcome. As I said I am a greenhorn :D so the more the better so we can pull it off.

The Trapsuutjies needs attention, and gear to make the trip (she’s pretty much a D-cab with a canopy).
I have the basic camping gear but we are short a few things.
Some tools for the workshops (would be mainly things like pliers, knives, scissors, handsaws etc. (still working on the list.)
Workshop/classroom materials, school writing books, pens, paper, rulers etc.
Any old gear you want to donate (we are camping to save cost)
If anyone wants to ride shotgun that’s also welcome (I see there are other initiatives to take Bibles and Blankets up there, maybe one could join forces somewhere?)

Most of all I would appreciate advice,

Here is the website (still partially under construction) http://prod.yolasite.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Felix
Trapsuutjies Basterbrak Hilux 1991 LN106 om gebou met KZTE 3l TD

Return to “Community Responsibility”