Out in Langebaan Lagoon

Tell us about your interesting nature stories, animal sightings, questions and pictures on nature and your experiences.
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Out in Langebaan Lagoon

Post by Niel »

I took the kids to Langebaan for a swim this morning.......and after 30 min we waded deeper and saw this piece of "sea weed" :wth: well surprise, surprise it turns of to be a very tired Cape Cobra (yellowish color) :shock: - Pity I did not have my camera- but this approx 1.2m fellow :shock: was headed straight for me and the laaitie :shock: :shock: :shock: and only about 2 meters from us diverted :shock: :shock: :shock: from his seaman’s course. This was next to the main beach in Langebaan. (heading from the harbor side to the National Park)

Needless to say a few new marks appeared where I will rather not mention :oops: but the sea water is a good friend and remove all evidence .... :thumbup:

Now, I have seen snakes in rivers ....but never in salt water – I must add the Langebaan water is not that salty.

Fortunately one of the local fisherman and his :shifty: girlfriend :shifty: also saw it as well :lol: ......we went looking for it for about 45 min but nada. :think: There is a lot of water

Has anyone els seen this in Langebaan :?:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Out in Langebaan Lagoon

Post by OOOOMS »

Wow Niel, I would have sj@t myself :!: :!: :!: Like you.....
Cape-Cobra-(Naja-nivea) (Custom).jpg
Cape-Cobra-(Naja-nivea) (Custom).jpg (15.13 KiB) Viewed 3232 times
Niel

Post by Niel »

Mark, daar was n onwillekeurige keuse van woorde ook. Nee nie soos in die foto nie die een het geswem hehehe
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Iets soos, wat het die boesman gesè to hy in die leew vasloop?

Nkka, ..k!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Almost all snakes are good swimmers, but only a few take to the water readily. Could it be that this guy was washed out at one of the nearby rivers? :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Niel

Post by Niel »

Andy, nope there is no rivers in the area. This was definately a land snake :thumbup: There is plenty of place for this fella to have came from the "bush" in and around Langebaan.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

No Niel, you misunderstand. I don't mean to contradict you and believe you that it was a cape cobra ..... they are mustard yellow in colour more often than not. What I meant was that they will only take to the water with a purpose ... there has to be some form of attraction which is unlikely (not impossible) in a salt water lagoon. Since you say there are no rivers nearby that could have washed it out into the sea or the lagoon, I would wonder what that attraction could have been. Or in the absence of an attraction, how it got to be out there. ..... Any boats on the lagoon at the time? :think:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Niel

Post by Niel »

The Westcoast national parl is situated at the bottom end of the "lagoon". That is why I posted it to find out why a land snake will take to the salt water. There was a few ski boats in the area but nothing in 400m from where I spotted the snake. More in the deeper water and the snake was inthe shallow water approx 20m from the dry land.......this was very weird to me as well
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Niel, where about were you? Here is a better map
langebaan-map (Small).jpg
langebaan-map (Small).jpg (33.62 KiB) Viewed 3202 times
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I wonder if it had not made itself at home in one of the boats and then left the boat (or was tossed off after being discovered) some time after launching. :think: They can see ... apparently not that well, but maybe well enough to see (or smell) which way back to land. :think:

Niel

Post by Niel »

Spoke to the rangers at WNP and they say that it does not happen every day but snakes swim to the Island in the Langebaan lagoon and back - they did not say why, only said it happens regularly.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Hmmm, that's interesting! ..... must be some attraction there. :think:

Perhaps there's a sexy resident female on the island! :D: :wink:

pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

I would have loved to see your face Niel.
I think there are plenty of food on the island because people may not go there. Apparently it happens quite frequently and mostly in the main beach area which is the shortest distance from the main land to the island.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Niel

Post by Niel »

Ek moes die laaitie uit die water kry as die man dalk sou besluit hy wil kom kennis maak so niemand sou my gesig kon sien nie. Ek sou nie vinnig genoeg kon wegkom van die knapie af nie, hy is baie vinniger as ek in die water :oops:

Jy sou onder normale omstandighede in elk geval nie my gesig kon sien nie want daar sou n bruin streep wees hoger as Tafelberg :lol:
dalkill
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

:shock:

ANd i walk thru them bushes alot to get to 'Piet Se Gat'
Now i'm gonna paranoid as anything.

Enough I got to watch out for stingrays in the water, now this as well.
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

'Piet Se Gat'
Ja joune ook
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
GrysMol
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Morgenster Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2.5 D4D D/Cab 4X4 SRX 2012

Post by GrysMol »

Niel, ek het al baie slange sien swem. Capies nogal geneig om dit baie te doen. Het onlangs gaan visvang by Fisherhaven, toe kom ta so rustig aangeswem na ons toe. Needless to say, die twee ouens wat saam met my gestaan het was gone in a second. Gelukkig het my Toy naby gestaan, toe gryp ek my my slangstok en skep die ou uit die water uit. Hy was te moeg om nog bakkop te maak. Ek meet toe die outjie, sowaar 1.89 meter lank. Sommer gou toe DNA samples gevat en die ou daar in die bos gaan los laat. Die ander ouens het toe natuurlik sommer onmiddelik opgepak en wou net ry.

Soms in die somer loop haal ek baie Capies & puffies uit swembaddens - veral Campsbay en Seepunt.
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Dit is te veel slange vir my op 1 dag dankie. Ek het 1 maal 'n slang uit 'n swembad uitgehelp, dink nie ek doen dit weer nie. Dit was 'n luislang, en ek kon nie glo hoe goed kan hy swem en duik nie, elke keer as ek nader kom duik hy en gaan le in 'n bondel op die bodem.

Know what you don't know.
Niel

Post by Niel »

Kobus, daai is n meneer, enige pis? Dis mos ampoer weer somer. Die Tannie by Tankwa se my hulle het al die eerste puffie in die houtstoor gekry vir die somer. Ek sal nou 2 keer dink om daar voete in die water te sit. Praat met iemand wat n WP visserman is en hy se my hy swem gladnie in Langebaan nie (ok dryf ook nie) want as jy weet wat alles in daai lekker "warm water" rond swem sal jy gat skoon maak en hy se dis in die vlak water nie in die dieper kanaal nie. Veral aan die onderkant van die Lagoon.

Kobus, sms my jou cell nommer asb

Pieter weet jy of die ouens al n paar lagoon harders gekry het die afgelope tyd?
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Johannes van die See »

Lol, die is nogal n storie, ek kan nie eers se hoeveel tyd ek al bestee het in daai lagoon om vis te vang nie, ek is gedurig opsoek na daai monster haaie ook, maar niks, en het nog nooit n slang daar raak geloop nie, so die gebeurtenis is iets besonders en ek dink nie dit moet enige persoon afskruk om die lagoon te geniet nie.
Moet asb net nie in die water skyt as julle weer n slang sien nie, ek eet daai vis wat daar uitkom. lol
http://www.goblacksam.com
Image Link Broken
Langebaan Lagoon & Deep Sea Fishing Charters
GrysMol
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Morgenster Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2.5 D4D D/Cab 4X4 SRX 2012

Post by GrysMol »

Niel, hier is a paar close-up foties.
Attachments
Up close & personal
Up close & personal
73787_489032972618_697092618_7083455_3049103_n.jpg (39.35 KiB) Viewed 2969 times
Net so....
Net so....
71654_489029537618_697092618_7083313_8273187_n.jpg (29.68 KiB) Viewed 2969 times
Niel

Post by Niel »

Kobus, ek wil net amptelik vir jou se jy het n paar moeviese skroewe los :wth: :lol:

Jy sal my nie naby gekry het nie so n 100 m ver weg ja. Lekker om weer the chat vandag :thumbup: Sien Saterdag.

Return to “Out in Nature”