Man killed by buffalo on hiking trail in MZNP

Tell us about your interesting nature stories, animal sightings, questions and pictures on nature and your experiences.
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Man killed by buffalo on hiking trail in MZNP

Post by Niel »

Saw this on SANParks web site:

"A man has been killed and another two women and a man injured by a buffalo bull on a hiking trail in Mountain Zebra National Park (MZNP).

The incident happened at approximately 11:15 yesterday, 12 July, while a party of four hikers was walking on the 1km Imbila Hiking Trail.

Shortly after they started walking on the trail, the two couples encountered a buffalo bull. The buffalo charged at the hikers a number of times, injuring all four of them.

One of the hikers called for help at the reception building and Park staff members immediately contacted paramedics and went to the accident scene to assist and administer first aid.

An ambulance arrived on the scene within 30 minutes and the injured hikers were taken to the nearest hospital in Cradock for treatment.

Rangers then proceeded to track the buffalo that attacked the hiking party from the scene of the accident. The buffalo will be euthanased.

Park Manager, Lesley-Ann Meyer, said that she was shocked by the incident and extended condolences to relatives of the deceased hiker.

All hiking trails in Mountain Zebra National Park have been closed until further notice.

The names of the deceased and injured hikers will not be released until next of kin have been informed.

Issued by:
South African National Parks"
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Man killed by buffalo on hiking trail in MZNP

Post by Mud Dog »

That's sad! We tend to overlook that these are still wild animals and that we are often encroaching on their territory. :(
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
truckin
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2006 2.7VVTI Hilux SRX Single Cab 4x4

Post by truckin »

Ja ons vergeet partykeer dat dit nie net leeu's is wat gevaarlik is nie,
“The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.”

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. - Not screaming like all the passengers in his car -
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

The man is from Cape Town - Somerset West, he was a friend of my colleague, Susan... a very tragic,sad event indeed!

What amazed me is that no tourist were killed at our National Parks, during the World Cup, they were taking chances with some seriously dangerous wild animals... just stupid!
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: P.E.
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Post by Maddoglips »

Its a real sorrow to hear of the loss of life.

Condolences to the family and loved 1's of the deceased.

But reading the article further, does it now justify taking the life of the buffalo?

They chose to enter the wild, to experience nature with out fences and leashes.

If some 1 breaks into your house and you kill them, must you then be hunted and killed?

Don't mean to take anything away from the person who lost their life, just can't understand why if we choose to take these chances, must the animal now suffer.

If it roamed into your garden and attacked you I could understand but when we go out of our way to get to them in their home territory and then wanna blame them I don't understand.

Zane
It's better to Burn Out then Fade Away.
Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

The other question is - will SANPARKS now prevent you from walking/hiking in NP i.e. Karoo, Golden Gate ...... (no big predators)

Personally, I like Manapools ..... as there are no fences
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Sad to hear indeed.....

Buffalo are very dangerous animals indeed!!!

Well Niel we are off to Mana Pools in September with the LCCSA, can't wait :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Piesang
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: '99 Hilux SRX d/c 4x4

Post by Piesang »

Ja Zane ek stem met jou saam, almal weet dat as jy so plek betree, betree jy die gebied van die diere. Net so met die mense wat hier in die vynbos area huise bou en dan word die bebjane geteiken as indeingers en as daar 'n luiperd in die omgewing is moet daar opgetree word.

'n Mens praar nie ligtelik van die dood nie en my innige simpatie aan die wat iemand moet afstaan daaraan.

"Onderwerp julle dan aan God; weerstaan die duiwel, en hy sal van julle wegvlug." Jak 4:7
arnize2
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4X4

Post by arnize2 »

:( Tragies dat n heerlike stap in die natuur so moet eindig.Dit was bleikbaar n alleenloper bul.Aangesien daar nie leeus is wat gewoonlik die ou alleenlopers vang nie,is dit nogal n probleem.Die natuur is versteur en nou? :?
0000DS
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: Tuna, 4X4, Longrange Fuel tank, BF's AT, Intergrated bumber, Roofrack, Awning, Air suspension,winch

Post by 0000DS »

Niel wrote:The other question is - will SANPARKS now prevent you from walking/hiking in NP i.e. Karoo, Golden Gate ...... (no big predators)

Personally, I like Manapools ..... as there are no fences
Neil, this was posted on News24 this evening:

Johannesburg - South African National Parks (SanParks) is considering banning hiking in the Mountain Zebra National Park after a man was trampled to death there by a buffalo, it said on Tuesday

"We are currently conducting an investigation to find out exactly what happened and whether we should allow hikes in the future, or we should keep the hiking trails closed, or have guided hikes, and how we should manage things from here," said spokesperson Megan Taplin.

No hiking was being allowed at the park on Wednesday, she said.

On Monday, Johan Schmidt, 62, died when he was charged and trampled by a buffalo.

His wife Marie Schmidt and two other people, Sam and Marianne Sieberhagen, were injured.

- SAPA

Return to “Out in Nature”