lesser baboon spider

Tell us about your interesting nature stories, animal sightings, questions and pictures on nature and your experiences.
dustbuster
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: Rebuilding 91 D/C Hilux Mboza Body, OME 4Y EFI, & 91 S/C 4Y Hilux

lesser baboon spider

Post by dustbuster »

Found two of these little guys in my bathroom this morning,

think it is a lesser baboon spider
IMG00116-20110201-0538 (Medium).jpg
johangr
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: '87 Hilux

Re: lesser baboon spider

Post by johangr »

Beautiful....!!!
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up and totally worn out, screaming: WOO HOO! What a ride!"
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Sies... waars die Doom?
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

He should definitely be seen lesser
To God be the glory
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

The 'lesser' I see of these the better..... :wink2:
Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

agree Mark
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Shame! I hope you put them somewhere that they can get food .... the one in the pic is starving (abdomen very small / narrow .... it should be bulbous). Poor little guy! :D: ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

They make excellent pets. Really nice spider
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Toyfan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7i 4x4 DC

Post by Toyfan »

Don't attempt to doom them. If you want to see one go B(!*# then go ahead. I seriously hope you did not kill it. Do we have
a section on this forum for these kind of stuff. Did not really look but it can be helpful to educate campers who meet these
Interesting and beautiful crawlies face to face. That goes for snakes and other animals as well
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Toyfan wrote:Don't attempt to doom them. If you want to see one go B(!*# then go ahead. I seriously hope you did not kill it. Do we have
a section on this forum for these kind of stuff. Did not really look but it can be helpful to educate campers who meet these
Interesting and beautiful crawlies face to face. That goes for snakes and other animals as well
Swambo doesn't seem to share your feels... :twisted:
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Johannes van die See »

lesser, ek ken manne wat hulle sou nat maak met daai outjie in die omtrek.
dis eintlik n mooi gogga!
http://www.goblacksam.com
Image Link Broken
Langebaan Lagoon & Deep Sea Fishing Charters
Toyfan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Toyfan »

My wife doom'ed a big spider once against my wishes while on holiday in Knysna. Needless to say, the doom did nothing to it
but displayed some serious evil moves that will make my wife think twice in future. Gently pushing them with a broom in a
box or out side far from your location should do the trick. I think some of them can jump quite far.... Mmmm, Got some guys
worried with that statement. Any experts on this forum.
dustbuster
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dustbuster »

there is a friend here at work who knows allot about spiders he came to my house and got those two baboon spiders and took some photos and then let them go

there are only four types of toxic spiders in south Africa :cry: :cry: :cry:

Black & Brown Button Spiders
Violin Spiders
Sac Spiders
Six-Eyed Sand Spiders

you can read more about them here if you wish

http://www.spiderclub.co.za/medical.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stubs
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Onrusrivier Hermanus
Vehicle: 89, Hilux D/cab 3.0L V6 Ford !!

Post by Stubs »

I have been bitten by Sac spiders, not enjoyable at all....the bites actually eat away at your skin, Anti biotics for 10 days, hectic bite marks, and they leave lovely scars !!!!
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

There is a add on the TV where a little girl sprays a spider with shaving cream.The spider is stuck and then it can safely be remove and placed outside.Do you guys think it is just a TV foefie or for real?
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

George... please find a beeeg spider, try it and report back... :twisted:

And then while you at it... check the effectiveness on snakes... :mrgreen:

Can't one of the insect poison manufacturers come up with 'Insect Paralysing Spray'... that would save many a spider and bug in my house! :cooldude:
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

george wrote:There is a add on the TV where a little girl sprays a spider with shaving cream.The spider is stuck and then it can safely be remove and placed outside.Do you guys think it is just a TV foefie or for real?
It's real but you have to be extremely careful when you shave them ;-) ;-)
To God be the glory
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Johannes van die See »

george wrote:There is a add on the TV where a little girl sprays a spider with shaving cream.The spider is stuck and then it can safely be remove and placed outside.Do you guys think it is just a TV foefie or for real?
Baboon spiders are quite hairy so I assume shaving cream would work, :mocking:
http://www.goblacksam.com
Image Link Broken
Langebaan Lagoon & Deep Sea Fishing Charters
Karoo
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Murraysburg
Vehicle: 96 2,4d sc ;99 2,7 4x4 sc

Post by Karoo »

had one in our bathroom too the 3rd time I found it back gave it stern warning not too be back or mrs was gonna squish him, seemed to work as relocated to wood pile.
To remove place a bottle over spider and slide a magazine underneath easy as pie.
Gunta
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

I had a pet brown babbon spider named Gunta when I was a kid which is where the name came from for my bakkie. I used to feed her parktown prawns for dinner. She has toes on her feet and you can feel them grip when she walks up your face. She was one of my best pets. Not moody at all unless she was hungry and also not poisonous like the aggressive black baboon spider. The brown one is also larger than the black one.
Please dont kill spiders as they eat all kinds of other insects, rather learn about them and accomodate them.
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

I've got no problem with a slow mellow mannered spider... it's the ones that runs fast and are good at hiding that give me the heebeejeebees... the bottle and magazine technique don't work there...

As I was leave home for work one morning, the next door neighbours daughter came screaming out their front door, frantically trying to stop me... all I heard was 'help help spider...' ... went into the house to investigate only to find mom drowning the very large chap(rain spider) with Doom... as it was too late to save him... I decided to Doom him again, he fell off the ceiling, onto the bed, was most agitated and aggressive, this isn't normally the case with rain spiders... the Doom appeared to be having zero effect as he charged us with front legs raised... the 2 ladies of course scattered screaming of 'kill it, kill it' in chorus... from far behind me... as I raise the tin of Doom to pop him one last time I read... 'Mosquito Spray'... needless to say the getting the chap out the house was a very interesting experience! The daughter was most upset that I let the chap live for another day!
Gunta
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

Some years ago I was lying on my couch watching TV when I saw a large shadow on the floor, I looked up to see a rain spider a bit larger than a saucer. My cat was lying next to me and also looked up and decided he was not sticking around to see what was going to happen next and bolted out the room. My wife and kids left the house when he decided to drop from the ceiling. I ran into the kitchen and got a large tupperware bowl and an egg lifter. Armed with my tools I confronted the beast. It charged me legs up and waiving menacingly at me. I slpipped the egg lifter under him and flicked him into the bowl and only then realised I had nothing to hold him in the bowl. He flung himself out the bowl at me, I dropped it and fled back into the kitchen to look for a lid. I eventually took a plate. I went back in and found the spider in the middle of the room looking very P%^$ssed and with a don't mess with me attitude. He was a little more clever this time and not so willing to get into my bowl. He started jumping up and down and after a while I gave up on trying to get him in. I managed to get the bowl ontop of him and now all I had to do was turn it over keeping him inside. I fetched a A2 white board my daughter was using for a project and slid that underneath. I managed to turn that over without letting him out. He was now upside down stuck to my board. Now all I needed to do was get rid of him. As I went outside my wife told me in no uncertain terms that he was not to be freed on this property alive. So I walked down the road to a very unfriendly neighbor who always moaned at my kids for playing on their bicycles in the road and slipped it into her garden and hightailed it outta there. That was one very angry spider.
Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Gunta wrote: Now all I needed to do was get rid of him. As I went outside my wife told me in no uncertain terms that he was not to be freed on this property alive. So I walked down the road to a very unfriendly neighbor who always moaned at my kids for playing on their bicycles in the road and slipped it into her garden and hightailed it outta there. That was one very angry spider
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Gunta wrote:That was one very angry spider
and one even more
Gunta wrote:very unfriendly neighbor
Toyfan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Toyfan »

:lmao: :lmao: bloody funny, excellent idea. Problem is the lady might be better armed and really kill it when she see it.
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

She would have needed a club, I dont think doom would have done anything except turn it into a ninja spider.
dustbuster
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dustbuster »

Here is a rain spider I found in my lounge the other day :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: tried to catch him but he was to quick they can move, so just left it there can eat some mossies for me :laugh2: :laugh2:
IMG00124-20110201-2149 (Medium).jpg
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

That's a very small one and he is missing some legs too, poor chap.

Return to “Out in Nature”