Saw these in KTP

Tell us about your interesting nature stories, animal sightings, questions and pictures on nature and your experiences.
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Saw these in KTP

Post by Niel »

One question re: the springbok horns in pic one is the norm but the one in pic 2 is growing to the front. The one in the second pic seems to be a younger. Will it grow towards the back or continue to grow forward?
Attachments
Pic 1- Ave spring bok horn patern
Pic 1- Ave spring bok horn patern
Pic 2 -horns growing to the front
Pic 2 -horns growing to the front
249 [1600x1200].JPG
335 [1600x1200].JPG
501 [1600x1200].JPG
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Saw these in KTP

Post by OOOOMS »

Interesting pics Niel, sorry I have no concrete answer, will wait for the animal gurru's to comment :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Interesting pics Niel! IRO the Springbok, it's a common 'abnormality' ..... The horns grow from the base, not the tip, so those horns will continue to face forward. The Gemsbok on the other hand is the first time that I see that. It could well be that there may have been some form of injury to the base of the horn one side at a young age, causing it not to grow out uniformly, thus creating the curve.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Niel

Post by Niel »

Andy, I read somewhere that that horn like that was a reset cancerous cell’s. I just can’t remember where I have read it. This one is not the first one I have seen in KTP
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

More than possible .... and we would likely be to blame with our pollution and chemical warfare against nature. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Niel

Post by Niel »

another one
http://www.flickr.com/photos/laquatic/5310005138/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.dijitalimaj.com/alamyDetail. ... 3700DEA%7D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.treknature.com/gallery/Afric ... o39953.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe I have my facts wrong re: the cancerous cells - I cant find it more common answer is damaged when younger that caused the deformed horn

and we would likely be to blame with our pollution and chemical warfare against nature.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
warthog
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Barberton
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 V6 Auto, LRFT, Dual Batt, OME's, BFG AT's, ARM comp, 800w inv, Roofrack

Post by warthog »

Saw quite a few gemsbokke with crooked horns in the Central Kalahari Game Reserve last year. Was told that it usually is because of injury to growthpoint when young that they grow crooked like that. FWIW
Hennie
ImageImage

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Jos 24:15: "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"
yotaman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartenbos Western Cape
Vehicle: '99 2.7i Hilux 4x4 S/C

Post by yotaman »

Its the A*^*:" C's fault.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein

Return to “Out in Nature”