What kind of mouse

Tell us about your interesting nature stories, animal sightings, questions and pictures on nature and your experiences.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

What kind of mouse

Post by Mud Dog »

("What kind of mouse" ... sounds like one of Niel's many topic titles! :D: :D: ;-) )

Anyway, over the past few months I have seen these tiny mice about in the garden from time to time, even in my workshop on the odd occasion. What struck me as interesting right from the first sightings, was their diminutive size and their boldness. At first I thought I had seen only juveniles, but then I never saw any that were bigger. They appear to be quite unafraid of humans, allowing you to approach quite close before casually and unhurriedly looking for cover. I have never seen these before in SA and suspected that they may be foreign rodents that may have been sold by pet shops and have somehow escaped into the open. Being so tiny they might be able to escape from the traditional type cages that we have here, being able to fit through the bars.

Yesterday I was pottering about outside when one of these little fellows comes out onto the lawn quite close and unconcernedly sits like a squirrel eating winter-grass seeds. It was easy to catch him by hand (I checked that it was a male), and after just three attempts to escape, he was quite happy to remain in my hand. Again, strangely for a wild creature, it didn't even try to bite me.

The closest identification I can find to this little guy is a San Diego pocket mouse (origin California) which were thought to be extinct over 20 yrs ago but have since been spotted in 3 small locations over there. Alternatively a Pacific pocket mouse. (The slow and deliberate movements of these local guys, which may be a form of energy conservation, seems to fit the San Diego variety better since they live in semi arid locations.)

I took some pics before releasing him again. Anyone seen these before? (This one appears to be quite big by comparison to the others I've seen ... obviously an adult male).

(Excuse the dirty finger nails .... I was working in the garden! :D: )

IMG_7115.JPG
IMG_7116.JPG
IMG_7118.JPG
IMG_7119.JPG
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: What kind of mouse

Post by OOOOMS »

No idea Andy....however looks very young on the pic.

Interesting though :thumbup:
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

En eintlik nogal bleddie cute
To God be the glory
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

CasKru wrote:En eintlik nogal bleddie cute
I thought so too!!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

They are very cute ... and so small. Mark, that one isn't a young one, it's fully grown ... the body is not much longer than a match box. I have a average size hand and it's no thicker than my thumb and only as long as the width of my three lower fingers. Tiny! Some references .....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_pocket_mouse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://ucsantacruz.ucnrs.org/?page_id=908" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the one I thought it looks closest to ....
http://www.sandiegozooglobal.org/what_w ... t_edition/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Cute,seems you got a nice wildlife reserve going there in your garden :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Dis n veldmuis want hy was nie in die kerk nie
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Tsumeb
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux2.2 ---1987 Hilux D/C Hella 1000, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Good Year M/TR, Warn Winch, STK bullbar, Extended shacles, Kenwood VHF-SOLD

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Lyk soos daai baas muis van Pinky and the brain.
Is gebed jou spaarwiel of jou stuurwiel?
'Life is a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it ONCE'
Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vryheid Natal
Vehicle: 2003 HILEX, 35" maxxis. 2009 Prado 120 VX

Post by Bushwacker »

If it was blind, & there was 3 of them I would have known... :twisted:
Ou vale1
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 D4D

Post by Ou vale1 »

I think you discovered something unique Andy. I tried google but most pocket mice have nails and a fluff at the end of their tails (although your pics do not show the tail). It does however appear on the pics to have soft toes. A good quizz for a program like 50/50 I would suggest :naah:
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Post by Hilux 1 »

i can tell you it is not a microsoft mouse nor a digitech :lmao:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Bushwacker wrote:If it was blind, & there was 3 of them I would have known... :twisted:
3 blind Bryce? :laugh2:

Ou vale1 wrote:I think you discovered something unique Andy. I tried google but most pocket mice have nails and a fluff at the end of their tails (although your pics do not show the tail). It does however appear on the pics to have soft toes. A good quizz for a program like 50/50 I would suggest :naah:
I've already sent to 50/50 .... will let you know how they respond. ;-)

TheoF
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Mosselbaai
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D-4D SC 4x4

Post by TheoF »

was toevallig vanmiddag by 'n veearts en het hom daaroor uitgevra,volgens hom is dit niks snaak nie , jy kry blykbaar sulke klein muisies en dit is heeltemal normaal aldus Dr. de Graaff van hartenbos dierehospitaal.
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

Weet nie watse muis daai is nie maar hy lyk heel gelukkig in jou hand!!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

jacques kotze wrote:Weet nie watse muis daai is nie maar hy lyk heel gelukkig in jou hand!!
Ja eienaardig, hulle is glad nie bang vir mense nie. Ek het hom maklik gevang en na twee lafhartige pogings te ontsnap was hy heel rustig en mak. Toe ek hom weer vry laat het hy nie eers gehol nie, net so casual skuiling gaan soek. :crazy:

ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

definitely cordless.... yes.. cordless... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Andy I also think it's some kind of pocket mouse and the Pacific one looks the same. I do how ever believe that the one you caught is still a youngster. His fur is still very fluffy and uneven. Adults usually have more smooth and even length fur
To God be the glory
RooiLux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria-Mayville
Vehicle: 1992 2.2-EFI Hilux 4x4 with Maus conversion,freeflow,Rear Electric Locker'2005 BMW 320i, 2015 Hilux 3d4d dc 4x4

Post by RooiLux »

ThysdJ wrote:definitely cordless.... yes.. cordless... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:lmao: :lmao:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

ThysdJ wrote:definitely cordless.... yes.. cordless... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: Ja, Swaer!! ;-)

Return to “Out in Nature”