Itsy Bitsy Spider

Tell us about your interesting nature stories, animal sightings, questions and pictures on nature and your experiences.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Itsy Bitsy Spider

Post by pietpetoors »

Does anyone know what spider this is
What makes me curious is that when we moved into this house 5 years ago there were none of these spiders.
I only noted them about a year ago and now they are becoming more and more.

I always wonder what the chances are of importing some weird crawling insects with our products.
Attachments
spider.jpg
Spider
(130.92 KiB) Downloaded 622 times
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
KOBUSL
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: WOLSELEY
Vehicle: '96 HILUX 2.8 HILUX DC 3i BMW 540 RANCHERO UTE 4 Li

Re: Itsy Bitsy Spider

Post by KOBUSL »

Lyk of hy LED's op sy rug het............................. :lol:
Word te vinnig oud en te stadig wys.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Ek kry gereeld sulke snaakse byt plekke :slap:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Looks a bit like a rain spider .... don't think I've seen one like that before .... unusual that the 2nd pair of legs are the longest, but then I'm not a spider boffin and they may be found only in the W/Cape. Nonetheless it would also bother me and be in the back of my mind that it's possibly an 'imported' species, especially since you say you've only started seeing them recently and the numbers are now growing. :eh:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Harvestman spider
Harvestman spider.jpg
Harvestman spider.jpg (9.08 KiB) Viewed 5755 times
Plenty different looking ones in same family group.
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Samurai
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2008 Hilux Raider 3.0 D-4D D/C 4X4
Club VHF Licence: X209

Post by Samurai »

pietpetoors wrote:Does anyone know what spider this is
What makes me curious is that when we moved into this house 5 years ago there were none of these spiders.

I always wonder what the chances are of importing some weird crawling insects with our products.
I sent an email with your picture to The Spider Club of South Africa, as I was also interested to know what it is!

This is their reply:

"It isn’t a spider but an arachnid in another order.

Your photo shows a harvestman in the order Opilione. There are a number of differences between spiders and harvestmen, the latter have a fused body, do not possess either venom or silk producing organs, vestigial or in many cases no eyes and a very different reproductive system. Have a look at them on the SA Museum website http://www.biodiversityexplorer.org

There are 9 orders of arachnids of which the best known in this country are spiders, scorpions, sun spiders (or red Romans) and whip spiders also known as whip scorpions. The less noticed arachnids are in the orders of pseudo-scorpions, hooded tick spiders (not found in south Africa), harvestmen, the tiny short-tailed whip scorpions, micro whip scorpions also minute, and lastly thousands of ticks and mites.

Very interesting indeed!

"from this day to the ending of the world... we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers.
For he who today shed his blood with me shall be my brother."
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

So the old age has not destroyed all my memory :yahoo:

www.4x4direct.co.za
Ultred
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: '00 Hilux 2.7i D/Cab IFS.
Club VHF Licence: HC108

Post by Ultred »

Seems you still got it.

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers.
I MAY GET LOST, BUT NO WAY IN HELL WILL I GET STUCK
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Samurai wrote:
pietpetoors wrote:Does anyone know what spider this is

I sent an email with your picture to The Spider Club of South Africa, as I was also interested to know what it is!

This is their reply:

"It isn’t a spider but an arachnid in another order.

Your photo shows a harvestman in the order Opilione. There are a number of differences between spiders and harvestmen, the latter have a fused body, do not possess either venom or silk producing organs, vestigial or in many cases no eyes and a very different reproductive system. Have a look at them on the SA Museum website http://www.biodiversityexplorer.org

There are 9 orders of arachnids of which the best known in this country are spiders, scorpions, sun spiders (or red Romans) and whip spiders also known as whip scorpions. The less noticed arachnids are in the orders of pseudo-scorpions, hooded tick spiders (not found in south Africa), harvestmen, the tiny short-tailed whip scorpions, micro whip scorpions also minute, and lastly thousands of ticks and mites.

Very interesting indeed!
ek sien n klomp groot britse woorde .... :shock2:

my vrou sien 6 of meer pote en ek beter dood maak, en VINNIG ook .... :surrender: :surrender:
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Neil, but the liquour will... I should know... :blackeye: :surrender: :laugh2: :yahoo: :lmao:
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

Haboob wrote:Neil, but the liquour will... I should know... :blackeye: :surrender: :laugh2: :yahoo: :lmao:
:laugh2:
Lucky I don't drink :blink:

Just su................ :cooldude:

www.4x4direct.co.za
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

Think this is the same insect. In the article I read they are related to the Daddy long legs...

Although seen during the day, Harvestmen are primarily night prowlers and solitary in habit. Sometimes several will form a tangled mass of bodies and legs and remain immobile unless prodded into activity. If you are lucky, you may even see two males joust upon meeting.

Mostly, a harvestman is found sitting motionless on the upper sides of leaves, waiting to ambush a soft-bodied insect. During warm months, Harvestmen are extremely common on the shady sides of buildings, underneath eaves, in crawl spaces and on trees, both in rural and urban environments. They are especially common in wooded areas, under rocks or logs and even caves. They like moist, shady environments and can will live in basements.

Harvestmen are considered to be predators and scavengers and eat a wide variety of food, preferring insects and other arthropods (dead or alive), as well as vegetable matter and juices. Adults usually begin foraging at twilight. They're generally carnivorous, feeding on live invertebrate prey. A harvestman will eat little ants on a crumb of bread and then eat part of the crumb. Food is never a problem, ranging from aphids, beetles, caterpillars, earthworms, flies, mites, small slugs, snails and spiders, to fecal matter and fungi. Watch one eat and notice how after each meal it cleans each leg, drawing them, one at a time through its jaws.

These unusual arachnids make an interesting subject for study and Harvestmen can be easily collected by hand. Carefully capture several. Don't worry about their curling up and becoming immobile. They will become active again once they are in a larger space. Place them in a glass-covered terrarium or 18"x12"x6" box. Cover the floor with a half-inch of earth or coarse sand and be sure to provide water or the Harvestmen will soon die. Do this with dampened blotters, thus avoiding that problem with water surface tension. Change the blotters regularly to minimize mold. Finally, add some leaves for hiding places. Harvestmen will survive on tidbits of bread, butter and fatty meat as well a few tasty insects thrown in for good measure.

Whether you know them as Harvestmen or Daddylonglegs, they are not pests, but very beneficial and medically harmless members of the class Arachnida. Granted, they can sometimes be a nuisance if there are dozens congregated, but remember they are not harmful to humans, animals, buildings, or crops. Large spiders eat Harvestmen along with other predatory insects like assassin bugs. Birds are among its enemies and some species are threatened by the invasion of non-native fire ants.

Return to “Out in Nature”