Leopard driven over by Tour Guide Vehicle and Hyundai Van

Tell us about your interesting nature stories, animal sightings, questions and pictures on nature and your experiences.
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Leopard driven over by Tour Guide Vehicle and Hyundai Van

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

This is actually very sad (VIDEO VERY SENSITIVE)

I still say that both drivers could have avoided this:

1. The tour guide could have reversed further, nothing in his way
2. Hyundai could have stayed in position as the leopard would have walked in the same direction as the Tour Guide.

or

2. Why did the Hyundai drove straight over him instead of around him as the vehicle is totally enclosed!!!

http://traveller24.news24.com/Explore/B ... d-20150707
Last edited by Rebel 4x4 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sent from my iPhone
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Re: Leopard driven over by Tour Guide Vehicle and Hyundai Van

Post by zepplin »

This subject has been flogged to death on the Tour/Safari Guide & Rangers forums.............I'm very interested to see what response it gets here.

Subscribed.......................
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
wazungu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux 2.7i DC Raider

Post by wazungu »

Thomas its a leopard not a cheetah.
It's easy to speculate without knowing the facts, yes I'm sure it could have been handled differently by those present however we must remember that Over a million people visit KNP yearly and encounters with dangerous animals are bound to happen to normal people visiting the park.The average visiter has no experience on how to react in situations like this.even well trained Rangers have been caught out by Leopard( it is part of the big 5 after all )

All I have heard is that the animal was in a very poor state which could have been the reason for its actions. There was a similar incident a few years ago when a guide was killed by a Leopard, it turned out that the Leopard was in a very bad physical state and was just desperate for a meal.
Remember they belong in that environment not us, enter at your own risk!
Hilux 2001 IFS 2.7 DC Raider
Land cruiser 105 4.5 EFI
Nissan X Trail 2.0
Datsun 280 ZX T Top
Rebel 4x4

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Wazungu: Sorry, I meant to say Leopard, i typed it everywhere instead in that one sentence.

I agree, it's their enviroment - and that's why I said it's very sad.
Sent from my iPhone
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

If I was in the front there were it attacked die driver I would have driven twice over it to get it away from the driver and especially the tourist. I know to what damage these animals can do.

But I was not there, so not sure what happened and what I would have done.
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
Oupa Stig
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Post by Oupa Stig »

Ek het die ding op facebok gesit en redelik warm onder die kraag geword.
In die discussion daar moes ek een ding erken - die ou met die minivan het gedink hy help, was moontlik panicy. Dis maklik vir my om te sê dat as ek in sy posisie was sou ek anders opgetree het, miskien net die dier probeer afskrik, (want die van se vensters kon toemaak, anders as die gids se voertuig), maar ek was nie daar nie, so ek kan nie te hard kritiseer nie. Maar ek vind nogsteeds die feit dat hy doelbewus bo-oor die dier gery het walglik.

My grootste kritiek is van die gids. Ek het jare gelede 'n demonstrasie gesien by Maholoholo van hoe slu en twee-gesig 'n luiperd is. As daardie gids sy sout werd was sou hy in die eerste plek nie so naby aan die dier stilgehou het met sy oop voertuig nie.

Soos ek verstaan was die dier oorspronklik aan die passasiers kant, en die gids het sowat 2m van hom af stilgehou. IN 'N OOP VOERTUIG.

Die gids het glo toe vir een van sy toeriste passasiers gesê sy moet nie so ver uit die voertuig leun om fotos te neem van die die nie, want dit is gevaarlik. Asof daai halwe meter 'n verskil gaan maak vir 'n luiperd.

Die dier was duidelik oud, in swak toestand, in onlangse bakleiery. Alles faktore wat bydra om 'n reeds-gevaarlike dier nog gevaarliker te maak, want die dier was desperaat.

Maar ons moet laat die mense kiekies neem, dis wat ons paycheque betaal...

En toe voer daai luiperd hulle almal 'n groot poep en "verdwyn", en terwyl almal loer en soek, gids inkluis, toe sirkel sy om die voertuig en kry vir haar meals-on-wheels vir bejaarde honger luiperds.

My opinie - die gids was uiters nalatig. Maar nouja, money talks, tourists want pics, etc etc etc.
Daardie selfde geld help ook maar om die dier se habitat te behou. Dis 'n moeilike een...
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
Rebel 4x4

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Dit maak nogal sin wat jy sê.
Sent from my iPhone
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Die oorspronklike fout het by die gids gelê maar ek dink verder het hy reg op getree. Daai luiperd was gedetermineerd om iemand in daai wa te kry en hy moes die toeriste beskerm.

Ek blameer ook nie die ou in die minivan nie... hy het mos gesien hoe die luiperd die mense wil uitvat en hy wou verhoed dat ander mense ook in die slag wou bly.
To God be the glory
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

After reading this: https://msomisite.wordpress.com/2015/07 ... rd-attack/
i have some more insight into this.
If you scroll down there is a comment of someone that actually witness it.
Douglas Austin says:
July 7, 2015 at 10:07 am

Hi Everyone – I witnessed this unfortunate incident and there are some factual matters that need to cleared up for everyone to make a balanced decision. The guide’s actions have been, in my view, totally mis-reported and he should in fact be given all the praise he deserves for saving the lives of his guests.

Here’s how it happened.

1. Before the video started rolling, the leopard walked across the road (from the passenger side) in front of the landrover that was parked viewing it. Without any provocation at all, it suddenly jumped right into the front of the vehicle without even touching the bonnet. Can you imagine the shock of this happening? There was, as one can imagine, complete chaos in the vehicle.
2. The guide wrestled the animal out of the vehicle saving both himself and his guests from a certain mauling in the very least in what I believe to be a very courageous manner.
3. However, when the guide tried to get the leopard out of the vehicle, it bit onto his arm and would not let go – at which time the video started to roll……hence the mis-interpretation of the events.
4. At no stage at all was the guide “hanging his arm out of the vehicle” to “attract the leopard” as it would not have been able to see his arm because it approached the vehicle from the passenger side across the front at which point it jumped into the vehicle.
5. Once he had been assisted by the visitor in the Hyundai to get the leopard to release his arm he immediately reversed his vehicle away from the dangerous situation as we all can see in the video to take both himself and his guests away. All of this with a badly injured arm and a leopard chasing him.
6. Unfortunately, once he got to the top of the hill, his path backwards was blocked by an approaching vehicle.
7. Knowing his path both forwards (as we were all parked on the narrow road ahead of him blocking that exit) and backwards was blocked, with the leopard attacking them he had no choice but to try and stop the leopard by any means possible, which he duly did. Had he been on a walking safari with a rifle I would assume the guide would have had no choice to shoot the animal to save his guests and himself.
8. The Hyuandai driver who drove also over the leopard obviously applied his mind to the situation correctly if one considers that the leopard could well have gone back down the road and attacked the vehicle and its occupants again.

Sadly, the cause of this incident should probably be attributed to all of us who visit Game Parks such as this. Through our actions and eagerness to see the animals, we put them under undue stress.

Perhaps we need to be more thoughtful and respectful of the animals’ space when we visit these places to prevent such incidents occurring?
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Yip, a story always have more than one side.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Rebel 4x4

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Hectic!
Sent from my iPhone
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Hectic!
hectic.jpg
hectic.jpg (32.24 KiB) Viewed 5902 times
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Oupa Stig
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Post by Oupa Stig »

Op jou stukke vandag, nê....
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

Post by WayneSchalk »

My opinion is that the guide should have driven off as soon as he saw the leopard in close proximity to the OPEN game viewing car!!! All over it is reported that the leopard was spotted before it attacked.

It is a predator.... and that is what they do.... especially (as they state in the report) if it is not in good shape, or a bit hungry.....

I saw the video and think it is just terrible :thumbdown: It could have been avoided.

Return to “Out in Nature”