BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Mpumalanga

Post by BenHur »

Guys

I want to go and visit Mpumalanga sometime in March and I am looking for off the beaten track type places where it is peaceful and quite to go pitch a tent and stay a day or two. We want to stay at Panorama Rust Camp in Graskop for a night or two but I am also looking for other places that we can visit in the Sabie, Pelgrimsrest, Waterval Boven/Onder or Belfast or surrounding areas maybe even down at the Lowveld.

Preferably not a mainstream caravan resort with noisy caravanners that bring their DSTV/Lazyboy and all other home comforts with camping. Would like places where we can enjoy resting away for everyday hustle while listening to the sounds of nature etc.

Also are there any nice affordable 4x4 day routes that you guys can recommend that does not want R500 per vehicle per day?
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Mpumalanga

Post by CasKru »

There is a resort near Burksluck (I think that is the name - naby die kolkgate) about 40km on the other side of Graskop (past God's Window)
To God be the glory
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi Bennie,

Cassie is talking about Blydepoort, stunning views over the canyon (which is the third biggest in the world after Grand and Fish River cayons). You can also go to the bottom resort (Swadini), then you sit in the middle of the mountains, one of my favourite places. Quite a lot of wildlife in the camp (kudu, duiker, bush pig next to the fence, maybe even hippo, monkeys baboons etc). Nice walks next to the river. It is a biggish camp but should be quiet, you can still pitch a tent away from everybody else.

At Waterval Boven there is Elandskrans resort, should be very quiet (is maybe a bit run down).

Pilgrim's Rest have a "municipal rest camp" next to the river, also looks quiet. Maybe better to do a day trip from Graskop (and visit the "Diggings" (guided tour)).

Sabie has got Merry Pebbles and Castle Rock, both next to the river.

How long you plan to visit?

Cheers,

Chris
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

The idea was actually to stay over a day or two at Aventura Blydepoort in the Chalets for a day or two as well I thought of doing that in the middel of the trip so we can take a proper bathe enol :twisted: :twisted:

Chris

The idea was for about 10 days or so depending on how quick the money is klaar. I want to go out of season and not book a place beforehand. If i come to aplace i like I may stay a day or two longer if I dont like it i will leave the next day.

My folks have in their journeys around the northern /western and eastern cape and freestate platteland came across quite a few places (typically a farm or guesthouse with 2-4 camp sites etc) which is some of the nicest places to stay. I was hoping someone could point me in a similar direction in Mpumalanga.
Castos
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: Ry die vyand
Club VHF Licence: B01

Post by Castos »

Bennie, ek kan regtig Riverwild aanbeveel. Dis presies waarna jy soek. Stunning kamp area, lang rivier. Mense dra jou op hulle hande en 'n baie gemaklike mooi trial. Dis naby Sudwala grotte, so die familie sal die uitstappie soontoe geniet en is so 30min se ry van Sabie af. Ongelukkig is al die Aventura oorde so bietjie besig oor die naweke veral vakansie tyd.
As jy deurkom maak kontak, dan vat ek jou uit na enige van ons klompie roetes hier.

Groete

PS: Dan kan jy die Hilux vir 'n spin vat. :silent:
97 Hilux Raider D/C With some exstra's
Elands4x4
Ons gaan dieper en bly langer!!!
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

BenHur wrote:Guys

......not a mainstream caravan resort with noisy caravanners that bring their DSTV/Lazy-boy and all other home comforts with camping. ......... :twisted:
F_D and his ontourage are a gruesome lot hey :roll:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Bennie that's such a beautiful part of the world I'm sure you'll enjoy wherever you stay. The land of cascades, I call it .... so many waterfalls (the Potholes are amazing). And of course the canyon itself .... too beautiful.
Enjoy it. :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “South Africa”