Leaking Blow-Up Camping Matresses

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Stephen
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 1992 Hilux DC 4x4

Leaking Blow-Up Camping Matresses

Post by Stephen »

The old type (1995) Blow Up Mattresses one needed to pump up every 3rd day only. The new ones every day. Has anybody squirted in some tyre sealing yum-yum to seal the porosity of the new material? Any ideas pleas? Cameeldoring holes I use Contact glue with rubber patch but porosity is a challenge. Regards. Stephen 072-302-6132
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Leaking Blow-Up Camping Matresses

Post by Mud Dog »

Give it a try .... it won't cost you an arm & a leg and can't do any harm. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Stephen wrote:The old type (1995) Blow Up Mattresses one needed to pump up every 3rd day only. The new ones every day. Has anybody squirted in some tyre sealing yum-yum to seal the porosity of the new material? Any ideas pleas? Cameeldoring holes I use Contact glue with rubber patch but porosity is a challenge. Regards. Stephen 072-302-6132
Yep I bought the green "Slime" from Sportsmans Warehouse, twas about R75 and did kidz bike tyres too :wink:

Only downer is that comes back out on deflation if you don't keep your nozzle-gat up :idea:
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

I swapped 3 (dbl bed ones)of them and now I am gatvol . So I will use the 2 singles untill it start acting up and then ...... throw them away. A more expensive option might be the aero bed from Verimark (I think).
kfxnando
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

well Niel, sorry to disappoint you, however not sure if the Aero beds from Verimark are any better!!

we have one, the single layered one, and have used it on many occasions!!

some times it hold the air for a few days ans sometimes id does NOT!!!

end 2008, at sodwana bay, the 1st night it held the air, then every night there after it went flat!!
even thought we used ground sheet under the tent and inside the tent some foam mats, we thought oh well just the same rubbish as the others!!
wife was not impressed!!!

earlier this month we were away and took a chance with the same Aero bed, and this time it held the air for both nights,so obviously there is no puncture!!

suspect that the problem lies by the big valve, although not sure!!

good luck!! :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

We tried the whole air bed thing and it does not work for us... maybe because I weigh about twice as much as my sleeping partner, she spends half the night hovering against the roof of the tent. Every time I rolled over she got propelled upwards.. So after some serious deliberations we decided that a thin high density compression foam mattress is the thing for us, and I must say, it sleeps more comfortable than an air mattress,and there is more insulation from the ground "cold". Another bonus is that I dont wake up sleeping on the ground because the mattress deflated.. :twisted: :twisted:

Okay back to the topic, the tyre sealing yum-yum stuff you talk about needs to coat the entire inner surface of the mattress to ensure that all porosity is eliminated. So there's gonna be a whole lotta shakin goin on... :twisted: :twisted: Try it, and come give us feedback, you might just set a trend.. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
optirite
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartbeespoort Dam
Vehicle: 1993 80 Series Land Cruiser (3UZ-VVTi)
Club VHF Licence: J91

Post by optirite »

I too got gatvol of inflating every morning (at around 3am), turfed the mattresses and bought a self inflating mattress. I bought the biggest and thickest. Problems solved! It also sleeps ALOT more comfortable. Got mine from Outdoor Wharehouse.
Image kiss kiss
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: worcester
Vehicle: 2700i 4x4

Post by hentey »

Well gentlemen,why not buy yourself the latest OZ-bed and forget about sleeping on the ground where all the creepy crawly's can bite you?Bought one for my Dec holiday and even swambo was impressed.Prepare for round about 2+ grand and all the sleeping problems solved.Must admit it loses a little pressure after 4-5 days.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Get a hammock! :lol:

I also use the high density foam .... takes up a bit more space, so what. :wink:
Thys wrote:So there's gonna be a whole lotta shakin goin on... :twisted: :twisted:
Hope you're not referring to some other kind of blow-up equipment here! :twisted: .... (someone had to say it! :D: )

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Mud Dog wrote:Hope you're not referring to some other kind of blow-up equipment here! :twisted: .... (someone had to say it! :D: )
Stadig nou, moenie dit stukkend steek nie.... then you going to blow all night long.... (someone had to say it! :D: ) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Mens kan julle mooi antrek maar ook nerens heen vat nie
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

BenHur wrote:Mens kan julle mooi antrek maar ook nerens heen vat nie
Not a wolf in sheep's clothing ..... wysiwyg! :D: :wink:

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”