The good old days...

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
swifty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Sutherland
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 SC

The good old days...

Post by swifty »

I remember in 1969 VW advertised the 1500cc Beetle @ R1,499.00. The slogan read something like this: "the only car you can buy for R1 per cc" :thumbup:

On Saturday I filled up the Hilux and had to pay R1,121.45. :crazy:
2003 HILUX 2.7i SRX S/C; Solid front axle conversion with Cruiser coil springs, 4.88:1 diff ratios, Iron Man rear suspension with extended greasable shackles, Gearmax diff lock, 150 liter feul tank, NudgeM bumper with recovery shackles, BF Goodridge Baja 33x10.5x15 tyres
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Re: The good old days...

Post by Scorpion »

Eish, so true....

In 1969 I remember ....... nothing - wasn't born yet!

:twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Youngster! :mrgreen:

The Mini was also around R1 per cc, can't remember the exact prices.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

swifty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by swifty »

In 1969 I remember ....... nothing - wasn't born yet!
Seems to work this way: I can't remember anything from 1949 - wasn't born yet! :twisted:
2003 HILUX 2.7i SRX S/C; Solid front axle conversion with Cruiser coil springs, 4.88:1 diff ratios, Iron Man rear suspension with extended greasable shackles, Gearmax diff lock, 150 liter feul tank, NudgeM bumper with recovery shackles, BF Goodridge Baja 33x10.5x15 tyres
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

When I were lad you could take a girl t' cinema, buy her fish and chips afterwards, ride the N0.14 tram all night and come home still having change out of tupence h'apenny. :roll:
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

The Mini was also around R1 per cc, can't remember the exact prices.
What did you old toppies earn back then
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
swifty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by swifty »

25c per month pocket money. :lol: I was in st9 in 1969. :mrgreen:
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

Well 20 years from now you can brag that it cost R8 and odd cents to travel a Kilometer in your Hilux!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

swifty wrote:
25c per month pocket money. :lol: I was in st9 in 1969. :mrgreen:
Geez, you must've come from a rich family! We were lucky to get at all, and even 5c went a long way .... we'd plan on how we were going to spend it over the week. :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Could anyone tell me :

What did my vehicle Retail for in 1989???

(YN67 DC) 2.2

A question I've been meaning to ask since I joined the Forum :!:
Hannes.S
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: 11
Vehicle: 111

Post by Hannes.S »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote:Could anyone tell me :

(YN67 DC) 2.2

Think I might have a Car Magazine from the late 80's early 90's some where
Will go and have a look for you...
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Here in Cape town the petrol still costs the same,
i ask them for R100.00 petrol, they put R100.00 petrol, they don't charge me R120.00!
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
toyota
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux

Post by toyota »

Hi Guys

In 1969 my salary was R60 from that R30 was for board and lodging and the other R30 was for bus and any intertainment. For R1 you could get 2 beers 2 movie tickets a packet of smokes. :clap: In 1982 i bought my first hilux 4x4 and paid R9000 cash through a friend who had contacts. Be happy and enjoy your sfa`s
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

When I was 10, my mom put us (me and my sister then 6y) on a train to visit my aunt in Rustenburg for the holidays, from Jhb station to Pta and then to Rustenburg.

Remember it clearly :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote:Could anyone tell me :

(YN67 DC) 2.2

Lets test my memory: In the late 80's a 2.2 d/c was in the region of R55 000?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Yep, those days you could do it, no harm would come to the kids. We would have to do our homework before we could go and play (Mon to Fri) and a parent had to sign our homework. Evenings we had to clean up in the kitchen and weekends we had chores, but we made games out of it to make it more fun. There was still enough time for play and the days seemed long even though we had to be bathed and in bed by 8pm. We had to be home for lunch unless otherwise arranged, and dinner would be at 7pm sharp ... we would not dare sit at the table without cleaning up for lunch or being bathed for dinner. Holidays would often be spent away with the family or playing with our mates (neighbouring kids) either at their homes, ours, the streets (which were safe) or in the bushes of undeveloped surrounding land. Adults would disciple us if we got out of hand, whether we knew them or not ... respect for grown-ups was firmly entrenched. We stood up and opened / closed doors for ladies and everyone we encountered would be greeted whether we knew them or not .... people were generally more kind to each other. Mischief was not malicious or damaging of property, but good clean fun with the occasional tok-tokkie or roof rocking. Slingshots around our necks and tucked into our shirts were a part of our daily dress code, and we could hit a jam tin at 20 paces with ease ... competitions were impromptu and regular. As boy scouts we learned more about the outdoors and survival techniques, going on unsupervised long distance hikes that would take anything up to 5 days. Neither we nor our parents were concerned, we knew we were safe ... the only thing required of us was to phone one of the parents when we reached a payphone in the next town or village and we camped under the stars. We would safely cycle to school and back each day, abut 18km round trip, unless it was raining ... then we used the bus service. Scout meetings were evening affairs, and again we were safe to cycle to and fro. We were fit, tanned and healthy ... hardly ever went to a doctor besides an annual dentist check up, unlike the anaemic computer generation of today. We entertained ourselves by playing games outdoors with our friends but would have to be home before dark. In the evenings we would chat or play board games as a family.

My first official paycheck was R96.80 with board and lodging included .... I lived like a king!

Yep, those were the days!
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”