Need advice urgently!!!

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
victorhunt
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Carletonville
Vehicle: 1994 SFA double cab

Need advice urgently!!!

Post by victorhunt »

I have driven Toyota all my life and once again need to buy another hunting vehicle.I am interested in a 1997 Toyota Hilux 2.4 petrol D/Cab 4x4 with 160 000 km on the clock, from a registered dealer.

The extras are:
T/Bar
B/Bar
R/Bar
Side stepping bars
Canopy
Warn Winch
4 Mags
4 New tires
Long range fuel tank
Radio f/l CD
Removable water tank

They want R80 000 cash. There is one thing that worries me!

The vehicle has no service history. Apparently the owner moved overseas and can not be contacted. A while back, the vehicle was impounded by the police. They say that the metal plate that carries the engine and chassis numbers was unclear and they thought that it has been tampered with. It stayed there for six months and was released when everything checked OK. They say it now carries a number on the registration papers that means that the vehicle was checked by the police.

Does this sound OK? I really like this vehicle. It is well looked after and the engine runs well. I have checked all that can be checked mechanically with buying a used vehicle and have driven it in 4x4 and 2x4 and everything seems good. Problem is with the service history. Somebody told me that if I go to a Toyota branch and give them the chassis number, they will be able to see if this vehicle has been serviced by Toyota. Is this true?

Any advice on the service history and the police story. This is quite urgent as I am planning to pay the dealer for the vehicle on Saturday if all is well.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Toyota

Post by pietpetoors »

Have a look inside the bonnet. If there is ugly numbers punched on the body or engine it is the police numbers. A car with these numbers have a lowe resell value. Even if it is not code 3 (written off or stolen and recovered) you will not get fair value for it when you wanna sell it, I failed that test twice before.

If it is in a good condition you must decide what you want to do with it. If you want to buy it and use it until it falls apart, there is no reason for not buying it. But if you want to sell it a year later and want to receive a fair value for it, you will not get it.

On the other hand, if it is code 3 or have police numbers on it, then the dealer is asking too much, it should be about R10,000 to R20,000 less than the real value.

Ask for the registration papers, 12th entry from top says "vehicle status" does it say used/gebruik or maybe something else like rebuilt, code 3, etc.

I know with other manufacturers you can get the service history if you give them the chassis number, I am sure Toyota should be able to do the same.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

some questions for you first?

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Are they selling the vehicle to you with a road worthy certificate?

Or will they be registering the vehicle into your name?

Are they selling the vehicle to you with a garantee or warantee, if so make sure which term they are using?

Concerning the police clearence number, I would not believe them about this, have you seen this number on the registration papers, this is why I have asked you above about the roadworthy.

Is this vehicle a South African vehicle? In other words it might be an import RE: Problem with the info plate?

The service history is only as good as who or how the services were carried out, pull the oil dip stick out and have a look at the oil, you can also ask to have the various oils checked by Oil Check, they take off a little oil from the various drive train eg, gearbox, transfer case, diffs and the engine, they then do various checks on the oil and their annalysis (sp) will determine what the condition of the various items is like, what colour is the brake fluid and the clutch fluid?

What is the milage on this vehicle now?

Basically if they register the vehicle into your name, you should not have anything to worry about.

Post us some photo's please, with you sitting behind the steering wheel :) 8)
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

I certainly wouldn't worry too much about the fact that it *might* have a SAPS clearance number. In fact, I think it would be preferable that it does, under the circumstances! My 4Y also has a SAPS number, apparently, it had been stolen in 1998 and then recovered. The VIN plate in the engine bay is missing as well. Like Piet says, try and talk them down a bit.

I would not be all that concerned about service history either, take it for a drive and see how she handles. Repairs & spares are available, albeit they are becoming scarce now.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

victorhunt
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Carletonville
Vehicle: 1994 SFA double cab

Post by victorhunt »

Thank you guys! Really appreciate your opinions! They will register the vehicle into my name. It has 162 000 kms on the clock at the moment. Would not know if they have tampered with the speedo without a service histor. Pietpetoors, your advice really helps me a lot, I am very greatful. All other advice are still welcome!

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”