IS THIS A GOOD MODEL ?

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Spookie
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Volkswagen

IS THIS A GOOD MODEL ?

Post by Spookie »

Hi Everyone

I've been put into a situation where I need to replace the family vehicle.
Being an outdoor family my wife and myself have decided that a Toyota 4x4 vehicle is the way to go. We have spotted what looks like quite a good deal on a Toyota Hilux double cab. This particular vehicle is a 1996 2.4 Hilux.
I just wanted to know from others out there if this particular model "engine wise"
Is a good buy or should i be looking at a 2.2 rather. Any comments and experiences from past and existing owners would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Re: IS THIS A GOOD MODEL ?

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Hello Andrew

First of all, what milage has this vehicle done and how much of it was done off-road?

The 22R 2.4 engine is basically the upgrade of the 2.2 4Y You do not mention that the 2.4 that you are refering to is a 2.4 diesel thus I take it is the petrol model.

These engines are slightly heavier on fuel, however all Hilux's of this model have a high fuel consumption, no matter which one you have, if you want to drive a Hilux, make sure you can afford the fuel.

I do not like the small jockey wheel for the V- belt, thus if you are going to use the vehicle a lot off-road make sure that you fit a new bearing and carry a spare in the vehicle.

Both engines that you mention are fine, there is nothing wrong with them, you must remember that there are always pros and cons concerning the purchase of a vehicle, no matter which one you buy.

Take some pic's, post them here for us to see, take some pic's under the vehicle, the engine compartment and various other parts of the vehicle.

Take the vehicle and have a roadworthy test done on it, this will determine what the condition of the vehicle actually is in.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Andrew,

Simon has given you some excellent points to look for. Seeing that you're in Cape Town, you might want to pay careful attention to rust, specifically around the load bin & tail gate areas. These can be repaired, but it is good to know about them so that you can do so. As you will now be saving a lot of money from speed fines (Toyotas very seldom are capable of speeds high enough to warrant these :mrgreen: ) you will have money to spend on other essentials, such as fuel, accessories, fuel, more accessories, etc...

Oh, and also Niel's Capie 'get-togethers' :)

Good luck with your purchase, you will never regret it!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

He might regret it...

:cry:

Niel and Kaspaas really are not good influences.

:roll:
Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Ewald Ewald :!: :roll:
SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Niel I see that you have a Nissan 1400 without any mods, well I also have one but my wife drives it and you should see the mods she has done to it :roll:

Parking damage shopping malls
Curve damage
Milk spilt on the seats
etc etc etc
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Simon, this is a short answer BENNIE :lol:
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Hi Andrew. I drive a 2.7 Hilux. Like all Hiluxes the 2.4 is also very reliable. I think it all depends on the driver. Some guys say that they only get about 350,000 from the engine. It is the same engine used in the 2.4 Cressidas years ago (just before the Camry) and my dad sold his Cressida on 500,000km with no problems yet except for being thirsty.

It is reliable but it is a bit heavy on fuel. It has more torque and power than the 2.2 models but it seems like the difference is not so huge as to justify the increased fuel consumption.
Off-road you cannot go wrong but on-road the newer IFS models (1999-2005) offers a more comfortable ride.

Like always it depends on what you want to use it for. Will you use it each day to go to work and back?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”