Leaf spring retensioning?

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
HiluxJunkie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Middelburg MP
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux DC 4x4 2.7i Raider
Club VHF Licence: N15

Leaf spring retensioning?

Post by HiluxJunkie »

Hi;

Any ideas on this . There is a guy around here that can do this. How long will it last? Will cost around R2500.
2001 2.7i DC 4x4 Raider. REAL MEN FOLLOW JESUS AND STILL HAVE FUN!
ImageImageImageImageImage
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Re: Leaf spring retensioning?

Post by ThysdJ »

Is this the same as "resetting" the leaf springs? If it is, forget about it, it lasts 6 months. Okay maybe a little longer, but not worth the R2500 you were quoted. M2CW :shock: :wink: :)
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Re: Leaf spring retensioning?

Post by Knersus »

Hilux Junkie I have done this on my previous hi lux and this is surely the poor mans "OME" suspension lift :D As Kaspaas said the springs will eventually set back to its origional position but I would say it will last you at least a year depending on what terrain you will be driving. In my honest opinion if you do not have the money for a OME and Ironman suspension go ahead and reset your springs on the bakkie. This surely do improve the ride and it is cheaper than a new suspension. :wink:

I have taken the the whole leave spring pack and cut each spring blade rear part to have the same distance at the rear and front from the center bolt. (This is how a OME spring looks.) On the tips of the first 3 blades I have cutted a 10mm hole with a plasma cutter. These holes holded the round yellow OME teflon friction pads and these things are actually the secret in a softer ride 8). It worked well for me and the only thing stil left doing was to fit new front shocks with a longer travel as the Safari's were to short.

If the guy who is doing the job is willing to cut the springs and fit the friction pads then the R2500 is worth spending :)
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”