How do I minimize the risk when buying private

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Hannes
Town: Hail_Saudi Arabia
Vehicle: Isuzy Trooper 3.5L V6

How do I minimize the risk when buying private

Post by Hannes »

Good evening. I have just recently joined the forum and have been converted to Hilux. Eric has put me on the trial of my first Hilux 2.7i but I have never bought a second hand car from a private owner. The dealership gives you some peace of mind but on a private sale you do not have much to go back on if the vehicle starts giving you problems.

Can you guys give me some advice as to how to manage this risk? From my research I have come to know that the first point would be buying a Toyota Hilux - that's settled. I can see for myself when a car has been looked after (clearly visible) BUT how do I make sure the less visible parts like the engine is o.k? The standard AA road worthy certificate I don't rec'kon is worth to much. I am willing to pay for some peace of mind.

Your thought would be appreciated.

Kind regards
Hannes
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: How do I minimize the risk when buying private

Post by CasKru »

Welcome to the forum

I was going to suggest the AA test. I took two of my vehciles to sell them through AA autobay and was impressed with the amount of test and detail they go into when testing the vehicle before advertising it on AA Autobay. They picked up stuff I wasn't aware of and I was the first ownder of the vehicles. :shock: :shock:

m2cw
To God be the glory
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Post by legend35 »

hi hannes,took my bakkie there and was pleased .thy found a few problems and i got it fixed.exept for a vibration that im still working on.
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

The AA test sounds a good idea, and I would think a Police Clearance check would be in order. Another thing to lookout for, is the vehicle fully paid up?

Guys, Hannes is currently in Saudi, it would be great if one of the CT guys could be of assistance to him here. Externally, the Hilux looks great but it would be nice if one of you chaps could give it a test run on his behalf.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Great idea Eric cause there is alot of sharks out there
To God be the glory
Hannes
Town: Hail_Saudi Arabia
Vehicle: Isuzy Trooper 3.5L V6

Post by Hannes »

Cassie, was that a more detailed AA test than the standard road worthy certificate test?
Hannes
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Hannes,

Unfortunately have never taken a car for a AA test before. So can't realy say. I just remember it being about 3 pages of small print with boxes to tick and test. Other than that I cannot realy comment. sorry
To God be the glory
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Just make sure that you or someone you trust take the car and not the owner / seller as I have heard rumours of irregularities before.
astam
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: '95 2.4l P D/C Raider

Post by astam »

AA testing centres offer a roadworthy test (which you will need if the vehicle does not have a RWC) and a technical test. The latter is significantly more comprehensive (and expensive) but will also highlight anything significant that needs attention for the RWC (although you will still have to pay for this test, either at the AA or another brand of testing station).

When I purchased my bakkie late last year I had the owner sit in on the feedback from the AA technical test. In this way I was able to guesstimate the cost of important work that needed to be done (wheel alignment, timing chain, aircon regas, new bushes, new seatbelt stalks etc) and negotiate a lower price. Its difficult for a prospective seller to argue with the black-and-white results of the technical test when the tester is with you to back up and (in my case actually point out on the vehicle) his/her findings.

Another useful suggestion is to get hold of a generic 'agreement of purchase and sale' document (available from AA legal services, or you can PM me) which covers both you and the seller until (and indeed after) any money has changed hands. Just make sure you both have copies that are properly signed and witnessed.

Good luck and happy Hiluxing.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”