Onveilige Hilux

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
grips
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: kathu
Vehicle: 347 Ranger v8 Ranger 302 v8 Nissan Patrol 302 v8

Onveilige Hilux

Post by grips »

Wat se TOYOTA SA Hiervan ?
n Klein beriggie in die CAR tydskrif van Feb 2008 het my laat rond krap.
Alle Europese Hilux word vanaf ons uitgevoer . Hierdie toets word nie in SA gedoen nie.
Is ons nuwe HILUX dalk onveilig.

Last month. we broke the news (to the English-speaking world) that Toyota's Hilux pickup truck failed Sweden's now infamous Älgtest (Elk test). News flash from the frozen north: Toyota has admitted the problem and is taking drastic if limited action to correct it. According to Teknikens Värld, Michel Koch of Toyota Europe confirmed that the Japanese automaker is halting sales of the Hilux with 16" wheels. Although the Swedes found that a Hilux shod with 15" wheels Elk-tested just as poorly as one with 16" wheels, ToMoCo "does not consider the 15" version to perform dangerously." When faced with the same issue re: their new A-Class, Mercedes fit ESP to the car, and retrofitted a few thousand customer cars at the company's expense. While Toyota has the technology to add stability control to the new Hilux, given the vast number of Hilux that have already hit the highway (hopefully not literally), the money needed to retrofit existing Hilux would make the A-Class expenditure look like pocket change. The extra (some say needless) expense would put the product at a competitive disadvantage/dramatically lower Toyota's profits. But this could be the start if a general move towards stability control on pickups– as U.S. federal law is already mandating the systems for SUVs.
Teknikens Värld »

wonder net grips.
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Re: Onveilige Hilux

Post by Scorpion »

Lucky for us we don't have Elk in SA then... :twisted: :twisted: :wink:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Scorpion wrote:Lucky for us we don't have Elk in SA then... :twisted: :twisted: :wink:
Maybe no Elk, but Elk(e) nou en dan there is a different kind of wild life crossing the road... :shock: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

Thys, weet nie van jou nie, maar ek is geleer jy swaai NOOIT uit vir "wildlife" nie... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Also true Scorpion... :shock: :shock:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Just after the "new" shape Hiluxes came out, I came across the remains of one being towed on a flat bed trailer, in Krugersdorp. Had I not seen the vehicle close up, I would never have guessed it was a Hilux. It was completely totalled, the bonnet over the engine was the highest part of what was left of the body, the rest was totally crumpled. This guy rolled, and rolled, and rolled...

To this day, I wonder whether there were any survivors from that gruesome mess. I would hesitate to think that there could have been.

No, my 4y SFA is NOT for sale, and never will be! At least it sticks to the road :mrgreen:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

wombat
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: kaapstad
Vehicle: Legend40 D/C 4x4

Post by wombat »

the video of this is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZF8N9NItHI. the hilux doesn't quite go over, but that's only because of some quick reflexes and fancy driving. interesting that the triton they show for comparison does so much better, although it looks like it might be going a little slower.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

This is bullsh1t the Hilux was going faster and the line taken in the turn initially much tighter. Nothing to do with the vehicle's capabilities and everything with the way it was driven. The test results were fixed. If 3 unbiased drivers gets the same results 3 times in a row each it would be more believable
grips
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: kathu
Vehicle: 347 Ranger v8 Ranger 302 v8 Nissan Patrol 302 v8

Post by grips »

Hallo BenHurBul
We cannot just make this video of as crap . The Europeans are very safety cautious and cars like the A- Class Mercedes and the 5 series BMW also failed the test a couple of years ago. Both companies rectified the problems on their products. This is not a once off test as one might think when viewing the video. Three different drivers do different runs with the same vehicle. They even changed the tyers from 16” to 15” with no luck . If Toyota was sure noting is wrong why did they temporarily stop European sales of the HILUX ?.

for safety’s shake
grips
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Ons Suid Afrikaanse bakkie kom uit met 15" wiele en ander bande as die europese modelle. Die een wat getoets was het 16" wiele opgehad.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

pietpetoors wrote:Ons Suid Afrikaanse bakkie kom uit met 15" wiele en ander bande as die europese modelle. Die een wat getoets was het 16" wiele opgehad.
By ons kom die 4x4 SRX wel met 16" wiele uit. Die Raiders met 15"
ImageImage
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

According to my limited knowledge and sence of logic, a smaller rim is definately not going to make it better. I will make it worse as you would have more tyre roll which makes the vehicle unstable. Maybe if the put 17" on there it would be beter (not for off-road though).

And another thought. It could purely be the brand of tyre which caused that difference in the clip. I sweared that I would never fit Dunlop on any of vehicles again as I at one stage saw a car all over the place due to tyre roll and he had Dunlops (this is quite a few years back). It could be that some brands tyres have stronger sidewalls and will not roll as easaly.

Well that's my theory. Ask Columbo, he'll back me up
To God be the glory
Engel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: Datsun & Nissan 4x4

Post by Engel »

The new bakkies are both fast and nice to drive, resulting in these becoming family vehicles. Now a bakkie cannot have the onroad ability that a platkar has. One of the benzes also didnt make it a few years ago and was rectified. One of my customers has to buy all written off insured vehicles [contract] and there is a lot off rolled hiluxes in his yard. If it was false advertising Toyota would have had stopped this "campaign" immediately thru the courts. Why havent they?. I just think its a good warning not to do that drastic manouvre......you might loose your no claim bonus quicker than you think!! :shock: For that matter my datsun will do the same with the rtt etc!
For anything offroad: herman@angeloffroad.co.za
Pofadder recovery kits @ wholesale prices

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”