Testing KZTE

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
SPF
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Hartbeesfontein
Vehicle: 2001 Toyota Hilux KZTE 4x4 D/C

Testing KZTE

Post by SPF »

Hi All. I'm new to the forum. I'm about to buy a 2003 KZTE D/C 4x4 with 166500 km on the clock. "Rumour" has it (confirmed by this and other forums) that the KZTE gives problems such as cracked head, diff, etc. I don't want to spend thousands a week or 2 after buying the vehicle, so I contacted Dekra-AA and want to take the vehicle for some test to them before buying - (for wat its worth). Can you advice me on what kind of tests must be done. And any other advice on the subject will be much appreciated. Thanx a lot.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Testing KZTE

Post by OOOOMS »

Hi SP, welcome to the Forum :thumbup:

From what I understand the important issue is with the prev. care on the motor regular oil change will result in a healthier motor.

2003 with 166 000km seems very low........?
SPF
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by SPF »

Thanks Mark. That's a problem, I'm buying this vehicle from a dealer and theres no way that the "previous care" can be confirmed, the 166500 km is low alas the Deakra-AA tests.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

The AA test in my opinion is worthless. I bought a car once that passed the AA test and there was so many things wrong with it that I even think they bought the road worthy certificate because there is no way it could have passed road worthy, but it passed the AA test

I agree with Mark the kilos is low which means that it was either used for a lot of town driving which would place extra stress on the gearbox and clutch of it was cared for by a proud owner who only used it once in a while to go on holiday

What is the general condition like, does it look spot less?

Does it have a service history by the Toyota agents?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
SPF
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by SPF »

Pieter. It's in a good, original condition with service history till 90 000. So much so then for the AA tests.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

SP, where are you buying the vehicle from - locally? In many cases the dealer should give you the particulars of the original owner, or it might even be in the Service Book. Oranje Toyota here in Klerkies gave me all the info as well when I bought Pradog, although I still haven't ever contacted the orignal owner. I meant to - he actually requested them to ask me to do so but I was a bit slack there and there quite honestly was no need for it.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Most people criticizing the KZ have never owned one. Yes, there are some that crack heads(like Isuzu, Ford, COlt, etc.) BUT not all.

Mine have just over 300km on the clock now and I have not had a moments trouble with it.

The best route to check out the vehicle is to send it to Dastek or SAC for an evaluation. IFAIR it is R450. If the car turns out to be a dud R450 is way cheaper than R12000+ for mechanical work.

Since the milage seems very low I would definitely go the Toyota service route, ie. contact Toyota with the cars VIN number to check the service history; the dealers turn back the clocks on these truck without batting an eyelid!

Good luck!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Marty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: 2002 face lift KZ-TE DC. Mod’s / dual batter - kinda ;) / Active suspension / Intercooler / free flow / ECU Chip / sports flow air filter

Post by Marty »

I have to agree with Thabo, most ppl comment about the KZTE, not owning or ever driven one.
I have owned mine since 94 000. I fitted the intercooler 3 day's later... I am standing on 250 000 km's.
Only issues I ever had was replace the battery, and the aircon pipe that I had to replace.
Once my wheel lock did not want to disengage, but that I fixed myself with only paying for marine grease, and a few hours of personal labour.
It’s a very reliable.
Just make sure the service history is up to date. Rust free, and you should be good to go…
One Africa, One Hilux needed :)
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Martin, took mine to SAC and had the 54 point check done including a compression test and from 50 000 to 155 000km's no problems. AA test is a wast of your money and time (imho). My KZ does not understand 120km/h or lower
Marty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: 2002 face lift KZ-TE DC. Mod’s / dual batter - kinda ;) / Active suspension / Intercooler / free flow / ECU Chip / sports flow air filter

Post by Marty »

It still believe, if it’s looked after, it will look after you.
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Marty wrote:It still believe, if it’s looked after, it will look after you.
ditto
4x4Maniac
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (JKU) 3.8 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X120

Post by 4x4Maniac »

My KZTE had a cracked head on 232k km bought it on 160k km. After it only overheated at certain times eg. when going uphill. I still drove it for another 6 months, then when the cash was available I had it fixed. And I still won't sell it, because I just love the fact that you've got so much low end torque especialy on a 4x4 trail.
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
AKA Epsilon on 4x4Community
(2011 JKUR)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 Auto Unlimited

Rugged Ridge Front & Rear Bumpers
Rugged Ridge Light Guards
KC Spotlights
Previous:
2003 Toyota Hilux DC KZTE 3.0 4x4
2001 Toyota Hilux DC 2700i 4x4
SPF
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by SPF »

F_D. From a dealer in Randburg. I'm going again on Tuesday and will find out the details of the previous owner - apparently the service booklet got lost. Who will you recommend locally to service a KZTE?
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

The only guy I use is Mike Gallagher, Jemtech Motors. I have tried many of the other garages and they all start out well, but then...

I am still waiting for Allan (Hoppy) to move from that dreadful place that gets so cold, windy & wet during the winter and stinking hot in the summer and come up here, but typical of residents of that place down in the deep south, he is slow in taking my advice! ;)

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Lost service books is ALWAYS suspect for me...

It sound very similar to: "We gave the speedo a nip and tuck..."
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Marty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Marty »

Talking about service books, does anyone know what the process would be to get a new one?
Mine is all stamp up now.
SWARTLUX
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: '05 LEGEND 35 2.7 DC 4x4, Monroe Gas allround, Long range tank, UniQ Chip. Platkar '06 Polo 1.6 Comfortline hatchback

Post by SWARTLUX »

SPF wrote:F_D. From a dealer in Randburg. I'm going again on Tuesday and will find out the details of the previous owner - apparently the service booklet got lost. Who will you recommend locally to service a KZTE?
Get the VIN number and phone a toyota dealership and ask them on the service history aswell as last service km's will give you an indication on true mileage.
SPF
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by SPF »

I inspected the KZTE and was not satisfied. Knocking sound in the engine, after about 2km testdrive, engine leaked oil, etc.

Well, if somebody can help me - I'm in the market for a 4x4 d/c KZTE.

Thanks to all of you who gave me advice - it helped.
Marty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Marty »

Mine was in the market for a short time – temporary insanity.
A friend of mine had his in the market for 4 days – crazy!!!
I hope you find a good one. - Just make sure re service history.
Check rust, pannels still line up and it drives well. Before you make a deposit.
SPF
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by SPF »

Martin, dankie man, ek het 'n KZTE gekry en gaan dit Maandag haal. Bakwerk in goeie toestand, geen roesmerke. Binne ook mooi opgepas. Het 'n diensgeskiedenis, alhoewel hoe km op. Ek lees nou net Nico se post oor sy KZTE waar die head "gegaan" het en wonder of ek nie eerder petrol moet vat nie, maar op die plaas is diesl maar die beter opsie. Het ook self met die vorige eienaar gesels en ek glo dat hulle eerlik teenoor my was. Interessante vraag - Het die intercooler en chip werklik so 'n groot invloed dat dit die "head-probleem" oplos?

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”