OBD II protocol

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
iwantjoomla
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux

OBD II protocol

Post by iwantjoomla »

Hi gents,

I hope you can help me. So far I have figured out that my 2011 hilux uses the ISO 9141-2 protocol. Is this correct?

However when I try to connect with various software it fails. I get an "BUS INIT ERROR" i.e. the vehcile does not respond to the request to connect.

Any ideas or experience on what the problem might be?

Thanks
FJCruiser-ZN
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X224

Re: OBD II protocol

Post by FJCruiser-ZN »

Hi John

I've tried to interrogate my Hilux using an OBDII to reset error codes and see why the ABS warning light comes on every now and again. I managed to establish a connection but I couldn't read the ECU. After chatting to Toyota, they informed me that there are specifice bridge pieces that need to be inserted into a connection plug in the engine bay. Regrettably they wouldn't tell me which pins need to be bridged.

T
If you don't own an FJ Cruiser you probably won't understand...
Until we meet on a dusty road someday, somewhere, keep on Cruisering....
2013 FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4 AT
2012 Jurgen's Xcape
iwantjoomla
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by iwantjoomla »

Thanks for the info Tony.

After alot of surfing I figured out that Toyota (well my Hilux) is in fact not OBD II compliant. It uses a "protocol" named MOBD (Multiplex OBD). The devices that can read MOBD vehicles costs thousands.

I will continue investigating and will report back if theres an affordable alternative.
FJCruiser-ZN
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X224

Post by FJCruiser-ZN »

iwantjoomla wrote:Thanks for the info Tony.

After alot of surfing I figured out that Toyota (well my Hilux) is in fact not OBD II compliant. It uses a "protocol" named MOBD (Multiplex OBD). The devices that can read MOBD vehicles costs thousands.

I will continue investigating and will report back if theres an affordable alternative.
John

Thanks for the info, the technician's at Toyota seem to think you are doing them out of a job if you ask too many questions.
T
If you don't own an FJ Cruiser you probably won't understand...
Until we meet on a dusty road someday, somewhere, keep on Cruisering....
2013 FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4 AT
2012 Jurgen's Xcape
saskia
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: Prado VX D4D

Post by saskia »

Old thread, but maybe of interest to some, I have this unit http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-MINI-VCI-F ... 3a73fc8d6c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and it works 100% on my D4D Prado
Hangover
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Deneysville
Vehicle: '76 FJ45 , '13 3.0 D4D Hilux

Post by Hangover »

Does anybody have any light on this topic ito OBD2 yet??
Hangover(A.K.A die speelding)
1976 FJ45 4x4
1UZ-FE 4.0vvti
2" OME Suspension lift
1.5" Shackle lift
35" Geo MT's
Custom Bullbar
Lockright Locked rear
York OBA
20" LED bar
Nighthawk 100W spots

Dakar
2013 3.0D-4D 4x4 Hilux Dakar
Grootseun
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 1988 SFA DC Lexus

Post by Grootseun »

Ok guys now your in my playing field so lets talk
Most of our Japanese vehicles in SA are not OBD II compliant due to the fact that its not law here as in Europe and USA so we get calls daily from guys asking why the OBD code reader he imported of ebay or wherever doesnt work

OBD II is a set of parameters they look and test and is standardised in all vehicles that side of the water but not here , unfortuneatly most guys see a OBD socket in his car and seems to think he is sorted - not so im sorry to say if the ECU is not an OBD compliant ecu you need diagnostic tools with more proprietary software for your vehicle

Also take note OBD is very limited as to coverage and functionality and will for expample not cover any P1 or P2 codes as these are all manufaturer specific it will only offer up P0 codes

But units that handle these systems and more are available and can be sourced in 2ndhand form also at decent money , even new units are not so expensive that you have to sell your house or such - its all about the the need and a salesperson that wants to offer you what you need not what his pocket needs ( yes i know im pitching here - :surrender: )

Alternately you can always look at getting your service shop to invest in a proper unit

As for the bridging of the plug - if its the 16Pin OBD - dont even try as those ECUs dont use flash codes anymore if it is the older 17 pin socket you bridge T1 and TE1 and count the flashcodes on your dash light ,ill have a flash code list if you need one

I hope this helps , if more qeusitons about this please bring it on ive been in this game for years and this discussion is one of the most popular ones we see in our training courses so it can go on for days
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

I've bought a few OBD readers for my shop, but nothing works properly and gives limited or no functions.

I take my vehicles to a shop close to me that has proper Launch and Bosch machines, and even those expensive machines can't do everything, but between the two, we can manage.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Hangover
Town: Deneysville
Vehicle: '76 FJ45 , '13 3.0 D4D Hilux

Post by Hangover »

Hi Driko

Thanx for the information(not so good news for me). I see that my ELM327 unit does infact work on a few vehicles but as you said it is more an overseas thing.
Hangover(A.K.A die speelding)
1976 FJ45 4x4
1UZ-FE 4.0vvti
2" OME Suspension lift
1.5" Shackle lift
35" Geo MT's
Custom Bullbar
Lockright Locked rear
York OBA
20" LED bar
Nighthawk 100W spots

Dakar
2013 3.0D-4D 4x4 Hilux Dakar
Grootseun
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 1988 SFA DC Lexus

Post by Grootseun »

Yes the ELM327 does cover some systems but mostly OBD protocol or Euro spec vehicles again
As HOPPY so rightly says OBD readers in SA not so good - Launch , Bosch or other makes - let me put it this way if been in my own workshop for 19 years and have been supplying equipment and training to other workshops for 8 - no one single machine is the begin all and end all of your problems - fi4rst of all im yet to come across a unit that is equally as strong on euro as asian or vice versa - we mostly recommend 2 units for that purpose or we sit with our clients and analyze his needs ad then see where we can meet him to offer a solution

Heck in my own shop ive got 6 brands of diagnostics and 3 different oscilloscopes let alone the other toys
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

I did check out those MOBD sets but they are like R3k each
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Reef Inmate
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Kasane
Vehicle: None

Post by Reef Inmate »

I have a Toyota Hilux Surf Japanese Import with the 5VZ-FE motor. I have been searching for the OBD II port which is supposed to be under the steering column but it aint there. From what I can figure only the USA 4 Runners have OBD II. I have found a diagnostics plug on the engine.

Can anyone tell me what type it is and what scanner I should use to check the codes? There is nothing wrong with the vehicle, I would just like to have the correct information and if affordable I would buy the correct scanner.

Image Image
Leigh van Zyl
Kasane
Botswana
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

I have the same port on my 1HZ Cruiser. Plugged in a Launch machine and it told me with in 0.002 seconds "Full check completed - windows already closed".
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
Reef Inmate
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Reef Inmate »

I am trying to determine what type of scanner is used. It is definitly not OBD II. The others I have come across are MOBD, OBD I and EFI.
Leigh van Zyl
Kasane
Botswana
Reef Inmate
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Reef Inmate »

I found some more information. The 22 pin plug on the car runs what is called mODB protocol. You get an adapter that converts it to OBD II and with software called Mini VCI you can check the codes and make changes or reset the electronics.
The 22 pin to 16 pin adapter
The Mini VCI connecter to connet to PC
Techstream
I found it all locally for R600.00
Leigh van Zyl
Kasane
Botswana
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Maputo
Vehicle: 1999 Surf 2.7L 4x4

Post by Firstoneman »

FJCruiser-ZN wrote:
iwantjoomla wrote:T
Thanks for the info, the technician's at Toyota seem to think you are doing them out of a job if you ask too many questions.
T
The guy who asks the questions is not going to show in the shop (maybe they just want you to buy them a coke before divulging classified info). When I lived in/go back to the US I sometimes go to the dealer parts guy, who can be very helpful, because he has to make his side of the counter profitable. But, there is a fine line with the nature of the info delivered. However, I am fortunate to have the OBD II system there. This was a bit of a shock to discover how undefined this is outside US & Europe (I'm not exactly sure why it wouldn't be standardized to OBD II in a place like Japan.) There must be some guys in Japan who have hacked this or come up with a solution…it's just that it reports in Kanji characters. I'm going to see how some of these MOBD links pan out. Also, it sounds like a chat with Grootseun is in order - since he invited.
Thanks all.
Cheers!
David
May You Thrive!!

David
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Maputo
Vehicle: 1999 Surf 2.7L 4x4

Post by Firstoneman »

Grootseun wrote: Most of our Japanese vehicles in SA are not OBD II compliant due to the fact that its not law here as in Europe and USA

Also take note OBD is very limited as to coverage and functionality and will for expample not cover any P1 or P2 codes as these are all manufaturer specific it will only offer up P0 codes

But units that handle these systems and more are available and can be sourced in 2ndhand form also at decent money….its all about the the need and a salesperson that wants to offer you what you need not what his pocket needs ( yes i know im pitching ).

As for the bridging of the plug….if it is the older 17 pin socket you bridge T1 and TE1 and count the flashcodes on your dash light ,ill have a flash code list if you need one.
Thanks Driko for the info and willingness to answer questions…your thoughts bring up a couple questions for me.

This is esoteric and likely nothing that I would do. Any chance that if I could get a 4Runner ECU for my 3RZ in US that it would plug into my Japanese production Surf and provide OBD II info through the diagnostic port (mine has no OBD II port).? Also thinking what kind of parts would I bring back to Moz from US sources if pricing was right?

Since you were pitching, maybe you could PM me with details about what you offer. Being down in Moz I am interested in being able to know what's going on with my Surf and decide who does the work. What are the second hand units I might consider?

Regarding the pin jumper…what codes will flash? Do only P0 codes flash or will P1 & P2 also flash? Would like to get the list of those. Is the 17 pin port/socket you mention the one that Reef Inmate posted pic of above your post?

Your response was over a year ago, so I hope you are still around the forum.

Cheers!
David
May You Thrive!!

David
Willem van Schalkwyk
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Willem van Schalkwyk »

Hi All,

Does any one know if there is a proper DIY OBD that I can buy at this stage?
I see this post is almost 3 years old.
I need to check something on my V6.

Thanks!
Willem
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Doornpoort Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 Auto DC

Post by Dirka »

Willem, I use the Mini VCI with TIS that is discussed here on this thread.
It is good enough to check most things.
And is quite affordable.
You only need the VCI, TIS software you can download now almost anywhere.
The 64bit driver for the VCI is also available on the net.
I got arrested for driving naked. I guess I shouldn’t have put four wheels, an engine, and a steering wheel on my bathtub.
I’m a do-it-yourself kind of lover.
” ― J. Kintz
Willem van Schalkwyk
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Thanks Dirk!
Will have a look at it.
Willem van Schalkwyk
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Hi Dirk,

What software ver. do you run and what windows?
I bought a unit but it keeps telling me I must update before I can use it. (XP) the website is no longer available for XP.
On windows 7 I have the option to update but it takes me to the Toyota website with login information required.
Also what setting in the setup do you use? country?
This is for the 4l v6

Thanks,
Willem
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Dirka »

Hi Willem!
U have a PM. :thumbup:
I got arrested for driving naked. I guess I shouldn’t have put four wheels, an engine, and a steering wheel on my bathtub.
” ― J. Kintz
Willem van Schalkwyk
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Post by Rigger »

Why all the secrecy and PM's back and forth? The rest of us also want to know :P
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Dirka »

Hi Guys!
No secrecy here.
Just don't want to hijack this thread and would rather start a new one that discusses
the VCI/ TIS under the correct heading in detail.

I will need time. I have got it working on W7/8/10 on 64 bit platform no problem.
But I just cannot remember so I need to tack it from start.

For now I'm using Techstream ver 10.10.018 on Win 7 64 bit platform.

Language option is English, Country Europe.

DO NOT change the “User Type” when you run your TIS Techstream for 1st time!
Leave it with the Default option. “Official” Dealer/Repairer.

Don't bother with registering and updating.
You can use the program lots of times or just set the counters back to "0" in the registry.

Make sure you see the USB icon when plugging in the VCI cable.
(Like when u plug in a memory stick)
If u see the icon (Bottom Right) u know the driver is happy.
Selection is 4.0 V6 (or your) model.

Just a Note on the new ver 12.xxx.
I see no reason for it not working on the older models, as the latest version just updates on the db's
and addresses all models with OBDII.

For the new Revo I believe it is "Euro 2 without OBD" and is directly to the onboard
usb datalink connector?? (Not sure)

Dirk.
” ― J. Kintz
Willem van Schalkwyk
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Hi Dirk,

Thanks for the pointers! Mine is working fine now.

Just to add:
On ver. 10.30.029 I chose the option other and the South Africa. When you switch the ignition on then it selects the vehicle automatically.

I could not get the 64bit driver but I didn't spend a lot of time searching for it. I worked off 32bit XP as I had a VM machine available.

:thumbup: :thumbup:
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D-4D Xtracab 4x4

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

Is this what you guys are referring to? Does it work?
Mars
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

StuckInTheMudd wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:07 am Is this what you guys are referring to? Does it work?
Yes that is the one. It works but I am sure you can get it a little cheaper. Especially off ebay but then you need to be patient.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”