2.8 Diesel ?

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

2.8 Diesel ?

Post by pietpetoors »

I am in the market for a Hilux Double Cab. I see that from 1995 - 1998 there was a 2.8 Diesel. Can anybody tell me how reliable they are and what their fuel consumption is. I see their trade value is much lower than the Petrol version, is there a reason for that?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Some advise

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

These 2.8 diesel Hilux engines are very strong, but very slow, you have to make sure that the radiator cooling system is in tip top working condition and if there is a visco fan fitted, you have to make sure that it is working properly, we have a 2.8 diesel in the one 1996 Hilux, it has not given us any problems, the fuel consumption is excellent, but we do not go tearing around the country side at high speeds, when we do use the vehicle on longer trips we keep the speed at between 100 and 110km per hour, but another reason why we do not try and go faster is due to the 33" x 1250 x 15" Bridgestone All Terrain tyres that are fitted to the 10 J rims, thus yes the 2.8 diesel engine is a very fine engine, but do not buy one that has had an after market turbo system fitted, these engines with these turbo's give lots of problems and some of them you cannot even buy a new exhaust manifold, the reason been they tend to crack.

Thus depending on what application you want to use the vehicle for, this will also determine which engine will best suit your requirements, some people fit the 3L engine which just bolts straight in, you have to just fit another radiator and change the radiator hoses, I can give you the number of a friend down in East London who had done this mod to his Hilux a few month back and he says that he is very happy with it, his name is Gary Miles.

I have got a few photo's of the various engine will post them here when I find them for you to compare.

You must also remember that if you buy a Hilux that has the 2.8 Diesel engine fitted, these type of vehicle's normally have the local Gearmax rear axle fitted which are much more prone to giving problems, to be able to see this, climb underneath and if you see a rear cover on the diff pumpkin that can be removed by loosening the bolts then you have a gearmax diff, the imported diffs are much stronger and hardly give problems, the only time that they do is when people drive their vehicle through or under water and they get water contamination this is when the water mixes with the oil and bearing failure will happen, this is why extended breather pipes must be fitted, I will do a brief thread on this else where or maybe somebody else can as well.

Thus tell us what application you want to use your "new" Hilux for and then we can give you more advise :)
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: 2.8 Diesel ?

Post by Family_Dog »

pietpetoors wrote:I am in the market for a Hilux Double Cab. I see that from 1995 - 1998 there was a 2.8 Diesel. Can anybody tell me how reliable they are and what their fuel consumption is. I see their trade value is much lower than the Petrol version, is there a reason for that?
Piet,

Have a look at the '89 Hilux that Insane is selling, picture in another thread "My Rides".

Don't think it's a diesel though, probably a 4Y.

-F_D
Last edited by Family_Dog on Wed May 23, 2007 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

2.8 diesel

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Have you considered to have a look in The Autotrader.

http://www.autotrader.co.za My other friend told me that there were a few in last weeks issue, but he is not sure if they were Diesels, there is a 2000 model for sale in East London, with stacks of modifications done to it, it is the 3 liter, colour ugly green, contact Gary at 043 736 6149, this model does not have the solid front axle, it has independent front suspension, but they are verrrry slow.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Team Dakar
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota 22r 4x4

Post by Team Dakar »

What a great explanation Simoan my seun. I also was considering fitting a diesel on my 22r. But now I won't.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

This is a very old thread that you've resurrected, Wandile, and the motors being referred to are old diesel technology. A lot has happened with diesels since then. The 3lit KZTE motor that followed was a great improvement IRO performance but they did not take kindly to overheating and tended to crack heads - the fitment of an after-market AMC head sorted the cracking problem.

Although not Toyota, the Ford 2.5 WL diesel motor is a good option but if you wanted to keep it all Toyota and have the extra bucks, then consider a 2.5 or 3.0 D4D, both excellent motors but pricey (even 2nd hand).
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”