What to buy...

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
jventer

What to buy...

Post by jventer »

Hi All

I am an amature with offroading and is slowly moving towards buying my own 4x4. I know this is a much debated topic and I hope to get lots of views and opinions in this topic.

I would like to explore Africa (Namibia, Botswana, etc.) and not be worried about letting the convoy (of mostly landies I must add) down by getting stuck. I place reliability high on my priority list (thus looking at a hilux rather than a Defender 110 :) as being recommended by a good friend of mine). I have looked at the hilux range (in the R100k region), and in my opinion, a 3000DE 4x4 hilux should work? I have no idea about the kind of terrain I would be able to conquer with that bakkie. My landyman friend suggests the 72kW is not enough for the terrain and the IFS is from the devil, but I am not convinced. I have read through the forum about the use for a SFA, but it seems that it is only advantageous in quite challenging terrain. I assume that I will, however, have to fit at least a rear diff lock.

Also, any tips on what I have to look out for when buyign a 2nd hand bakkie?

Thanks for the help!
Jacob
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: What to buy...

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Jacob,

The IFS Hilux is certainly a very capable vehicle in its standard form, although with overlanding it would be nice to have a bit of a lift to prevent that sagging feeling when the vehicle is loaded. So you might consider a suspension lift. I think that all the IFS Hiluxes (from 1999 on) came out with rear diff-lock as a standard fitting.

The IFS Hiluxes are by far the more comfortable on a long trip, while the Solid Front Axle (SFA) types are more capable in rough terrain. As you mentioned you are more interested in overlanding rather than bundu-bashing, I am sure the standard IFS Hilux 4x4 is quite suitable for your purposes.

Petrol or Diesel? The 2.7i petrol is a slogger and will give many hundreds of thousands of kilometres of trouble-free motoring. The old 3-litre diesel engine (model 5L) was slow and sluggish, and when driven hard (140KM/Hr) it was just as thirsty as the petrol engines. That particular model was also prone to cracking the cylinder head, so probably best to stay away from it. The KZTE models were a vast improvement, but I have no experience of them other than the fact that their owners love them to bits.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

I forgot to mention...

Rumour has it that you are able to buy a newer IFS Hilux for less than you pay for an older SFA model... :mrgreen: :twisted:

There are members here who can confirm this :P

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Spot on Eric. If you do overlanding you spend thousands of Kilos on the open road and that you would like to do comfortably. The SFA is better on severe offroad especially for dune driving. I would also not go for the 3.0 diesel if you want to do Nam and Botswana, in Nam you would end up wanting to do the trip between Luderitz and Walvis and the old diesel will do you no good there. The terrain must be very bad before the SFA will outperform the IFS on an overlanding trip.

You do not have to worry about the Landies waiting for you, the other day at Matroosberg we were waiting for all the Landies who had to try more than once to get up some of the hills where we went out first time.

I have one of the 2.7 IFS bakkie and picked it up for R78,000, if you shop around you can get them for about the same price as some of the SFA bakkies. But you can also pick up a SFA for R40k if you are VERY lucky, that is what the stealers pay for them when they buy them. For R100k you will be able to buy a proper 2.7 with less than 180,000km. Apparently their engines are good for 500,000 - 780,000 km. But an expensive SFA is normally better rigged out than a 2.7 in the same price range.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Have a look at
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=316
and
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=242

The last one is unfortunately diesel but a very nice vehicle.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Hope the long link will open correctly, but look here:
http://search.autotrader.co.za/www/cars ... 2184191299

O ja, and when I searched for one I found that they are cheaper up in the Transvaal. I think the Capies know what they have with these vehicles. So look at http://www.junkmail.co.za . Other advantage of buying in the Vaal is that it might have less possibility of rust.
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

jventer wrote:The old 3-litre diesel engine (model 5L) was slow and sluggish, and when driven hard (140KM/Hr) it was just as thirsty as the petrol engines. That particular model was also prone to cracking the cylinder head, so probably best to stay away from it. The KZTE models were a vast improvement, but I have no experience of them other than the fact that their owners love them to bits.
Fully agreed. There was the 3000 TD model that was released before the KZTE. This was also seen as "problematic". I am not sure why but maybe someone can comment on the problems on the 3000 TD.
Family_Dog wrote:Apparently their engines are good for 500,000 - 780,000 km.
The 2.7 is an awesome engines but also a thirsty one. Pieter and FM might disagree but I have spoken to a number of guys (including chaps from SAC’s) that own them and they all say it is a bit thirsty. On the other hand if you don't mind the fuel bill you can't go wrong. In Cape Town you can't easily find a KZTE 4X4 and if you can it, it comes with a bit of a prise tag. I found the KZ to be economical on fuel and it does not lack the power if used for everyday city driving. My fuel bill has almost halved from the 2.7 (4x2) to the kz (4x4). I also know you should not compare consumption figures between petrol and diesel......
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Just also remember that the pre facelift 2.7i seems to be much more economical than the facelift ones.
Niel

Post by Niel »

Do you know why? I know the face lifts KW was jacked a bit.... cant remeber from what to what.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Niel wrote:Do you know why? I know the face lifts KW was jacked a bit.... cant remeber from what to what.
I am not a boffin, my knowledge on these bakkies is all just hearsay, but I remember from discussions I have seen that the EFI system is different on the two models, but I can't remember the full details.
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Bryan Weber had fuel consumption issues with his 2.7i as well, I think he has the face-lifted one.

We compared consumption figures and it appears that my pre-face lift did produce better consumption figures. I don't know what the differences in engine performance actually are, but it must be in the management system. But then, they state that figures at sea-level are lower than upcountry anyway, so I don't really know.

-F_D

Cedric
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Roodeport
Vehicle: 1985 Hilux D/C

Post by Cedric »

Hi All,
Here goes, a first time post. Talking about overlanding Africa, not quite but I have just returned from my Lesotho 'roof of Africa' trip
in my '85 Hilux, 4Y motor.Standard vehicle!
From Fouriesburg to Buthe Buthe to Katse, back to Oxbow thru Mohotlong to Sani & down. 4WD most of the time ( low range,second gear)
as those mountain passes are steep ( 1;2). A few observations; Fuel consumption improved dramatically at those high altitudes
( 3000m) ; I was thankful we had no breakdowns as every second vehicle in Lesotho is a Hilux & mine would made for great spares
for the local population & lastly that vehicle is tough, almost to a point of self destruction, but we arrived back in Jhb with just one nut
that had come loose from the Alternator holding bolt. Absolutely awsome, scenery and vehicle and the trout venues in the Underberg region are great.
Regards
Cedric
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Cedric wrote:lastly that vehicle is tough, almost to a point of self destruction,
Hi Cedric

Sounds like you had a ball.

Do not worry about the toughness of the Hilux being too much, they say that a Hilux is so tough and the suspension so rough that the driver normally break before he can break his Hilux :twisted:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

I agree with Bennie back brace required :mrgreen:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Niel

Post by Niel »

Will a softer suspension not help?

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”