4y engines

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
shanganipatrol
Town: bulawayo
Vehicle: hilux

4y engines

Post by shanganipatrol »

Has anybody got one those 4y cheap engines. I'm thinking of changing my 3y for one but wonder if they are trouble.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: 4y engines

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Martin,

If you're referring to the Chinese/Korean replacement engines for the taxis, yep, some are good, some not so good. I fitted one to Bulldog and have had no problems with it, others have also fitted this and omitted to tighten the head bolts which caused the engines to overheat. I did re-torque my head bolts when I heard about this but I don't think it was even necessary with mine. So, yes, there are different brands, some good, some not so good. Go for it, but try select one that has good castings, the cheaper ones look, well, cheap.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

Got mine from Gemini and it has done 55 000 trouble free kms up to now.
4 runner oldie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Brisbane Australia
Vehicle: 1985 4 runner sr5 3y engine

Post by 4 runner oldie »

Mine only 1500klms . Has a minor leak near fuel pump . Good advice from family dog just to be on safe side . Id check all the other bolts too . My fuel pump was slightly loose . I got mine locally of ebay . put some bids in got about 20% off . So far im ok with engine . Just need decent honest mechanic to check over . :crazy:
No one has ever made it out alive yet .
shanganipatrol

Post by shanganipatrol »

Thnaks for the response. Next question where can I get a good 4y engine and is there a specific make that is better than others. I have found one at engine den for R10 000 and at midas for R14 000, big price differance. Living in zim I am not able to go have a look, so am relying on the forum for information.
mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by mcw »

R13900 from Gemini brand new motors,they have stock
Tel 011 334 1417
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Gemini should be good. I bought mine from Midas, looked better than the Autozone one.

Find out which has the longer warranty. AFAI can remember, they come without Alternators and I used m old starter as well, the Chinese one caught on the bell-housing or flywheel, can't remember where exactly. You will most likely need your old sump cover as well, 'cos the new one catches on the cross-member or diff.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Gerrit S
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Potchefstroom
Vehicle: 2000 Hilux DC 4x4 3000D

Post by Gerrit S »

I bought mine at Midas and it has done over a 100000 km's before I sold it.
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

I will keep the 3y, they were better and more fuel efficient engines, if you really want 10% more power, take your 3y parts and build everything over into a Toyota 4y block, only the bore size is different.
I don't like the Korean/Taiwan engines.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Tarquin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Plettenberg Bay
Vehicle: Toyota 2.8D D/C 4x4 & Toyota 2.4D single 4x2

Post by Tarquin »

Hoppy wrote:I will keep the 3y, they were better and more fuel efficient engines, if you really want 10% more power, take your 3y parts and build everything over into a Toyota 4y block, only the bore size is different.
I don't like the Korean/Taiwan engines.
Agreed
Martin whats wrong with the 3y? better to overhaul a jap motor than buy a new Chinese/Taiwanese motor.
shanganipatrol

Post by shanganipatrol »

Nothing wrong with the 3y mine is just getting tired.it has given great service, never let me down. Just wondered if the Chinese one is an option.
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

It is time for me to replace mine too as mine is now slowing down drastically on hills and smoking on start up.

Gemini in JHB import their motorsfrom Japan. Where the Jap supplier gets them who knows but Gemini assure me that they are a good import and have had no problems.
They of course sell plenty to the taxi fraternity.

For me though I will only be purchasing a new sub assembly a I can reuse the manifolds, carburettor, starter etc. The sub assembly cost is R8500 incl vat. I will also replace the clutch at the same time and that cost is R1134 for a LUK Repco kit.

I spoke to engine den and they didnt have stock and did not know when they would get any in. But I feel confident that Gemini will have decent quality goods.
I have used them over the years for all sorts and they have always been my fist stop for genuine parts and a third of the price of the stealers.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

There is some you buy and some not. I don't like the Autozone ones.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”