Hilux Vigo - Digital Music Player

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Hilux Vigo - Digital Music Player

Post by Mr_B »

Hi guys,

Thought my fellow Vigo owner might be interested in this little gadget. One of the limitation of the 1st gen Vigo's was that the radio has no audio input, so it wasn't possible to use digital audio files easily. Yes you can write mp3 to a cd and play those, but I've had endless problems getting it to work properly, and the cd tends to jump/skip on bumpy gravel roads. I did try one of those cigarette lighter FM frequency players, but the sound quality was awful. My workaround was to copy my CD's to blank CDs and ride around with a bag full of the copies... because I don't like driving around with the originals... they get scratched and could be stolen! Not lekker.

This morning on my tour of 4x4Direct at Hilux City(with tour leader Hopster)... I was introduced to this device... it plugs into the back of your radio unit, into the CD changer port. The unit can accept a USB drive or SD card, and has a stereo audio input mini jack so you can connect your ipod or smart phone. The unit interfaces with the radio as if it's a CD changer, so the radio can control the unit, which allows selecting folders and music files with the radio controls. Via the USB/SD card the unit can play MP3 or (unprotected) WMA files. Via the audio input connection, the radio only acts as a amplifier, cannot control the source device(phone/ipod/etc).
yatour-media-player.jpg
yatour-media-player.jpg (81.96 KiB) Viewed 6148 times
It's nice and small and can be installed in a concealed location like the cubby hole. I'm installing mine tonight and will give you guys feedback in the morning.
Pote
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartbeespoort
Vehicle: Fortuner D4d 4x4 & VW Passat
Club VHF Licence: X228

Re: Hilux Vigo - Digital Music Player

Post by Pote »

I Installed mine two weeks back and it works very good.

Install takes all of about 10 Min to complete...
Warrior
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell Cape Town
Vehicle: 08 Vigo 4x4 d/c 4.0L auto
Club VHF Licence: X138

Post by Warrior »

Many thanks Bretton !! :thumbup:
Will get mine tomorrow.
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

Where can I buy a unit like this and what price ?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

jacques kotze wrote:Where can I buy a unit like this and what price ?
Get it here ...... http://www.4x4direct.co.za/shop/ad-hoc- ... -p-780.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
JamesC
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Potchefstroom
Vehicle: SRX 2.5 4x4 D/C

Post by JamesC »

Don't wanna be funny but you can buy a cheapie fm trasnmitter type with a memory stick. No installation required. Same thing?
James Cameron
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

JamesC wrote:Don't wanna be funny but you can buy a cheapie fm trasnmitter type with a memory stick. No installation required. Same thing?
Bretton said he tried one of those gadgets .....
Bretton wrote:I did try one of those cigarette lighter FM frequency players, but the sound quality was awful.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
4x4Grant
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Scottburgh
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE

Post by 4x4Grant »

The FM transmitter is a great device and a super idea but your sound quality will be lost due to the fact it needs to compress the sound to stream it out. Same as streaming music from your phone to radio via blue tooth. The file is compressed and transmitted so sound quality is lost.

The device above will have great sound quality provided your songs format and quality is good.

There is simply no replacement for a directly attached device.

I personally prefer CD's. What I plan on doing is installing a front loading dvd player without a screen then copying all my orginal to hard disk burning it to DVD as a MP3 disk. 4.7 gig of mp3 will last me a while.

The radio will also have option for USB so its a win win.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk
Schools don't need all them number calculatin' classes.
The only math folks need to know is
4 x 4 = Off-Road
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I use a 32 gig flash-drive ..... tons of music - a few thousand titles and the drive is not even ½ full. Have never been able to listen to it right through yet. It's amazingly small and doesn't protrude that it gets in the way of anything. ;-)

Sdsk.jpg
Sdsk.jpg (12.93 KiB) Viewed 6060 times

Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

All three of my Hiluxes has USB radios, a must for off-roading.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Well bad news... fitted the device... and zilch... nada... nothing... maybe I got a dud, will check in the morning. :frustrated:
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Did you select the CD Changer?
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

Mud Dog wrote:
jacques kotze wrote:Where can I buy a unit like this and what price ?
Get it here ...... http://www.4x4direct.co.za/shop/ad-hoc- ... -p-780.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Andy.
Pote
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Pote »

Mr_B wrote:Well bad news... fitted the device... and zilch... nada... nothing... maybe I got a dud, will check in the morning. :frustrated:
The main thing when using this devise is that you must take out the CD in your player. It picks up the USB as a CD.

Another thing I found out is that if you put the music in different folders on the USB, it picks it up as different cd's in a changer.
Easy way to split your music in Artist or genres.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Thanks Pote... I'm going to swap the unit with another this afternoon... I think I just got a dud. I tried all the "tricks" mentioned, but the radio unit doesn't seem to sense the digital player. Yes, I plugged it into the correct socket at the back of the radio.

Let's see what happens with a new unit.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Pote wrote:
Mr_B wrote:Well bad news... fitted the device... and zilch... nada... nothing... maybe I got a dud, will check in the morning. :frustrated:
The main thing when using this devise is that you must take out the CD in your player. It picks up the USB as a CD.

Another thing I found out is that if you put the music in different folders on the USB, it picks it up as different cd's in a changer.
Easy way to split your music in Artist or genres.
Pote, does the radio detect the player, even if there's no USB/SD card in? Just curious. Oh and what year is your hilux... I'm wondering if there are different radio models...
Pote
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Pote »

No it does not. I have a 2007 Fortuner. I don't know about the radios though...
I hope it helps.

Sent from my RM-821_im_south_africa_219 using Tapatalk
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Hi Bretton, this is really strange that it does not work on your radio, we haven't had any problems on those before.
Are you sure your radio was on?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Mr. B, you do realise that you have to load some music into it first... :twisted:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Hey guys... Allan and I fiddled with it again the morning, even swapped the unit out for another... no go!
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

OK, we believe you
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Samurai
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2008 Hilux Raider 3.0 D-4D D/C 4X4
Club VHF Licence: X209

Post by Samurai »

Hi!

Is there a topic on the forum that guides you step by step on how to remove the Vigo's radio?

Thanks!

"from this day to the ending of the world... we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers.
For he who today shed his blood with me shall be my brother."
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Hey Stuart... it's very simple... 5 minute job... here's link to a video showing how:

Just be careful when removing the top radio bolts, use a bit of prestick... else the bolt may fall in behind the dash... :oops: yes it happened to me!
Samurai
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2008 Hilux Raider 3.0 D-4D D/C 4X4
Club VHF Licence: X209

Post by Samurai »

Mr_B wrote:Hey Stuart... it's very simple... 5 minute job... here's link to a video showing how:

Just be careful when removing the top radio bolts, use a bit of prestick... else the bolt may fall in behind the dash... :oops: yes it happened to me!

Many thanks, much appreciated!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

"from this day to the ending of the world... we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers.
For he who today shed his blood with me shall be my brother."
Lapland
Town: Uitenhage
Vehicle: Fortuner d4d 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Lapland »

Morning guys! Hoping that someone could give me some advice.
I also recently ordered my Yatour from 4x4 Direct. Was very excited to say the least because it is not nice to listen to CD's when driving on a bad gravel road. Installation of the Yatour was a breeze. But when I switched the radio on....Nothing! I have a 2011 Fortuner. It does not seem to pick-up the flash drive at all. I tried my wifes tiny little flash drive and it seems to work ok, but only plays one song every time. (this could be due to the folder names being incorrect). I tried to format my flash drive to both FAT32 and NTFS formats but nothing changed. My folders were name correctly starting with CD01 and ending with CD0X as per instructions. Nothing. Anybody have any other ideas? :beg:
Lapland

Post by Lapland »

Sorry forgot to add that I use an 8Gig flash drive. Should be ok according to the instruction booklet. Will it make a difference if the flash drive is USB 2 and USB3 capable? Thanks guys!
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I still could not figure out the flash drive thing.

It tend to work better with older and smaller flash drive, thus I think the USB2 and USB3 might be part of the problem.

The naming of the folders is very important, if it is not correct it will just say "loading CD" all the time without playing anything.

My flash drive (which is a 16Gb drive) works perfectly.
Then I have a SD Card which, when you switch the car on, will start to play the track, after one second stop for about 5 seconds and then continue without any problems until you switch the car off again.

I suggest you try different flash drives and SD Cards.

I had a client who bought 3 of those units the other day and had the same complaint. He then used a different flash drive and is now happy with his units.
Buff
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: D-4D Hilux Raider 4x4

Post by Buff »

Damn, I got both happy & sad in one thread here, happy Brenton discovered the unit and sad he couldn't get it to work properly.

Has anyone tried it with an iPhone in the Aux port, all my music is stored on my phone?
Hilux 2.7 Raider D/Cab 4x4
Lapland

Post by Lapland »

I also think it has something to do with the flash drive itself. I will definitely try some different flash drives and if that doesn't work then I will try the SD card. Lets hold thumbs!!! Thanks guys!
Lapland

Post by Lapland »

After trying out 4 x different flash drives (including 2 x brand new 8Gb and 16Gb USB2 drives I bought) I managed to find a very old 4Gb flash drive in the back of my drawer that works just fine!!! Halleluja!!!

Needless to say these things are VERY sensative to the type of flash drive being used!

But if you can find one that works, the reward is beautiful! Thanks guys, the Yatour is now working great!!
Cinco
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Marloth Park
Vehicle: Hilux Vigo
Club VHF Licence: HC243

Post by Cinco »

Also remember the music must be in MP3 format. I use flash drives but the. Sad card is more practice in the yatour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wishing my life away till the next trip!

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”