New tyres and rims for my Hilux SRX 4x4

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Cabmaster
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2015 Toyota Hilux D4-D 4x4 SRX, Metalian Canopy, Full OME Suspension Kit, Good Year Wrangler AT/SA, 15" Rims, R&D Rock Sliders, Dastek Unichip, Airlift air bag suspension.

New tyres and rims for my Hilux SRX 4x4

Post by Cabmaster »

Good day,

I currently have the stock standard 205/80/R16 tyres with the original steel rims.

I am looking at putting on a wider tyre. So after much research it seems as if a 245/70/R16 would be a suitable tyre.

I approached one of the sales guys at a local tyre dealer and he advised that I change both the rims and tyres, as he said placing a 245/70/R16 tyre on the original rims would cause the new tyres to "mushroom" and affect the road handling of the vehicle.

I was quoted around R11,500 for a set of new 16" steel rims (A - Line Wheels) and 4 new tyres 245/70/R16 (Good Year Wrangler AT/SA).

My question is two fold:

Will this size tyre have a big impact on gearing and fuel consumption? I have heard of guys going to 245/75/R16, but I think that will be too big and affect gearing and fuel consumption too much, as well as put too much strain on the drive train.

Secondly, does this sound like a good deal. Would anyone suggest anything else to get quotes on?
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Re: New tyres and rims for my Hilux SRX 4x4

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Howzit Brett.I am also driving a srx single cab 4x4 which I purchased last year with 16 inch standard rims and tyres.I needed to replace two tyres and I decided on the onset to change to 15 inch wheels as I believe the more rubber between the rim and road,the better( I live in the Eastern Cape and our tar roads are in worse condition that the gravel roads in the Western Cape and some other provinces).

I managed to obtain a set of standard hilux 15 inch mag rims ,including a spare rim, and then fitted four new General Grabbers 255/70 R15 to my hilux and I am very happy with their performance.

The overall diameter of my new 15 inch tyres is similar to the standard 16 inch wheels the srx comes fitted with. I hope this assists you in your search for wheels for your srx.
Cabmaster
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 2015 Toyota Hilux D4-D 4x4 SRX, Metalian Canopy, Full OME Suspension Kit, Good Year Wrangler AT/SA, 15" Rims, R&D Rock Sliders, Dastek Unichip, Airlift air bag suspension.

Post by Cabmaster »

Cool, thanks for the advise. I will definitely look into it.
Do you find the 255's wide enough?
Any pics?
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

I think the 255 are wide enough. I don't do any beach driving anymore with the new coastal management laws which prevent ujs fisherman driving on the beach.

I find also that the 2,5 performs better by not going too big on the tyres and also the fuel consumption is also better.

Years ago,I loved the look of my big takkies on my 4x4's.They were great on the beach and fuel was cheap.Also the tyres were a lot more affordable to fit or replace.To day I try get as much use out of the tyre without adversely affecting safety and performance and thus the big tyres on my 4x4 are a thing of the past.
Tjomma
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Plettenberg Bay
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Tjomma »

Thanks x2 FG. Also looking at new rims for my wagon. Think I might just follow your advice. CB post some pics if you get there before me.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

I think that I have the 265 x 75 x 15 fitted but 245 x 75 x 15 would also be more than adequate which is probably what I will be going for next time around...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Cabmaster
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Cabmaster »

What about 255/75/15, would that also be ok?

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”