Test drove the 2015 Toyota Hilux. Impressions...

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
nematombo
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: harare
Vehicle: toyota vigo 3,0 d4d d/c 4x4 manual

Test drove the 2015 Toyota Hilux. Impressions...

Post by nematombo »

So the new Hilux arrived in Zimbabwe this past weekend. Dealer at Chisipite (for those who know Harare) has 3 new models on the floor with 12 models on the water. Here are my initial thoughts after a test drive:

1. The car is huge. I parked it next to my D4D and man it looked small.
2. What you see on the pictures of the look of it is what you get. It's either you love it or you hate it. The rear looks really nice but accessories are going to be a challenge for bumpers.
3. The interior on the other hand is a leap from the IMV, like the D4D engine was a leap from the KZTE. Dials are in the right place, soft touches though I think the tablet for a radio idea was just pure laziness on their part. Steering wheel felt soft and light. Seats were very comfortable to say the least and even the guy at the back said sitting position was better than
4. It doesn't feel as big a car when on the road. Spacious and it was odd how I didn't feel high up as it looks outside. Sitting position is just right for the long trips and the electric seats are a charm.
5. My greatest disappointment was the engine. Absolutely gutted. It was expected that only 10kw wasn't enough. Gearbox in Eco mode is painfully slow engaging the right gear.smooth but performance was out.
6. Car suspension was bumpy on rough tar. Being a Revo I suppose the set up isn't for our kind of tarmac and I hope the African Hilux will have this important aspect sorted next year.
7. If there one thing new owners will love it's the noise cancellation. The sound mine makes at 80km/h she was even quitter at 120km/h. That really impresses me.
8. Here was the one thing that worried me...Start/Stop technology by Toyota. I have a 2013 A5 with it but she labours in this regard. Wasn't I surprised. Odd thing on first stop when I thought the bonnet wasn't closed she turned off and refused to turn on. Glitch? Second time responsiveness after the engine turned on was quick and smooth. Better than my Audi.

That said, the question would be is it worth the money? Price tag here is $68,8k which if you use Rands is pricy but what if said out of the 15 he has ordered 12 are already sold including the King Cabs? The performance is going hurt a lot of people but the overall package for this car is just right. The interior is world class and the keyless entry and all the gadgets should make this everyday work horse a charm. The looks will grow on people. I never know Toyota to make pretty cars from the go. I know I will buy one...just not the Revo. Will wait for what is made in Africa for Africa. Will upload pictures time I reduce their size to the format required for the site but if you look closely very soon you will see one driving in your country with Yellow Zim plates very soon!
D4D Turbine Technology
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Test drove the 2015 Toyota Hilux. Impressions...

Post by CasKru »

Thank you sir for the testdrive feedback
To God be the glory
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Masimba thanx for the test drive & your impressions...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Thanx for sharing Masimba
Seems like South Africa will be the last country in the world to get the new Hilux/Revo

I hope they will improve the suspension.
Sad to hear about the performance. Would be interesting to see what the real fuel consumption is.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Thanks for the info. The lack of power really is a disappointment!! Hope the manual is better.
nematombo
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: harare
Vehicle: toyota vigo 3,0 d4d d/c 4x4 manual

Post by nematombo »

pietpetoors wrote:Thanx for sharing Masimba
Seems like South Africa will be the last country in the world to get the new Hilux/Revo

I hope they will improve the suspension.
Sad to hear about the performance. Would be interesting to see what the real fuel consumption is.
Very true, not only SA but Africa in General as the Hilux made in SA Is for our markets. Zimbabwe isn't strict on imports from other regions that's why we have the Revo here. Now dealer told me he will have the New Fortuner in the next 6 weeks or so. All the same I still prefer holding on to my money and buying the African spec. I used to have the first Vigo D4D and eventually bought the Hilux after two years later and to me it was night and day!
D4D Turbine Technology

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”