3.0 D-4D

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

3.0 D-4D

Post by pietpetoors »

Will it be possible to install one of these new 3 Litre turbo Diesel engine to the old solid axle double cab bakkies? Are these new engine as reliable as the old Toyota engines?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

The problem might be that you will pay more for this engine than the SFA Hilux itself.

The other problem is the wiring. The amount of electronics envolved will make it a complicated transplant.
pietpetoors

Benhur

Post by pietpetoors »

Thanks Benhur
Electronics is not what we will need in the bundus, so I guess it is not a good option. Pity though, I think the power and fuel consumption would have been great.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

The problem with the electronics is not really their relibility so much. It is more the schlep of getting the whole harness with all the other bits and pieces and integrating it with the current wiring.

Like with my 7M-GE conversion. I am using the MR Turbo EFI to manage the engine. Once I was running it is not unreliable and it will not sommer leave you stranded but it might be a contributer to my head failure ( engine pinging). I am buying another 7MGE motor to replace the current one. At R 5K it is a better option then trying to fix the current one. But this time around I am trying to source an original Cressida/Supra management system.
Berty

Post by Berty »

apart from the electronics it is a more sophisticated motor, i think its multivalve? and its got the whole common rail injection thing. where the fuel is pressurised in a central vessel and then injected. it helps power and efficency but its just more to go wrong. and cant be fixed bush mechanic style. ie with a hammer, big screwdriver and a pair of plyers. :wink:
Arthur Bertram
pietpetoors

Re: 3.0 D-4D

Post by pietpetoors »

I spent some time underneath a new D4D this afternoon. Up to now I did not like the new Hiluxes. But my view changed a bit this afternoon. Do yourself a favor and creep in under one and have a look. That things chassis is like almost double the size of the older Hiluxes. The prop shaft is much thicker and then very important, the cross member underneath the transfer case. Eventually they lifted it. It does not stick out that much under the vehicle anymore. The front suspension looks a little bit stronger than my Hilux's.

So, with bigger tyres, a little body lift, rock sliders and a proper bumper they might be able to go places without breaking.
iHilux
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 SW

Post by iHilux »

pietpetoors wrote:So, with bigger tyres, a little body lift, rock sliders and a proper bumper they might be able to go places without breaking.
Another light at the end of the tunnel........... :wink:
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 SW
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

I think the new hiluxes are really great :D :D however I think they do take a bit of work to be good off road however it will always have the disadvantage of IFS and of course if you are in the deapest darkest africa I would rather be in a SFA 2.2 then anything els.
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Jacques KZ
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: '12 Jeep Wrangler 3.6 Unlimited

Post by Jacques KZ »

pietpetoors wrote:Will it be possible to install one of these new 3 Litre turbo Diesel engine to the old solid axle double cab bakkies?
Piet,

I've read on another forum an excellent report on a guy who've fitted the KZ engine to a SFA d/c. :D Can't remember the detail, but it's quite do-able and should be MUCH cheaper than the d4d motor.

Cheers,
Jacques
2012 Jeep Wrangler 3.6 Unlimited (Rooies)
2011 Kia Sportage 2.0 (die platkar)
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Jacques KZ wrote:
pietpetoors wrote:Will it be possible to install one of these new 3 Litre turbo Diesel engine to the old solid axle double cab bakkies?
Piet,

I've read on another forum an excellent report on a guy who've fitted the KZ engine to a SFA d/c. :D Can't remember the detail, but it's quite do-able and should be MUCH cheaper than the d4d motor.

Cheers,
Jacques
TopHilux Hilton who is a member here has a KZTE motor in his SFA.

viewtopic.php?p=625#p625
Jacques KZ
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: '12 Jeep Wrangler 3.6 Unlimited

Post by Jacques KZ »

Ah! :lol:
Thanks Bennie!

Cheers,
Jacques
2012 Jeep Wrangler 3.6 Unlimited (Rooies)
2011 Kia Sportage 2.0 (die platkar)

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”