Anti theft idea

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Kaspaas
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 1998 Land Cruiser 105series GX

Anti theft idea

Post by Kaspaas »

If you were able to lock a single pedal on your Lux, which one would it be? (Clutch/Brake/Accelerator)
I'm thinking in terms of a pad/bolt lock to lock a pedal in a stationary position.

I guess the clutch would be the best option?
-Wont be able to get it in gear.
-If its in gear, would not be able to push it to a location were they can start it.

Any thoughts?
1998 Toyota land Cruiser 105 series. 4.2 D

"I am human, I make mistakes, and that is okay, I have my own permission."
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Anti theft idea

Post by ChrisF »

I have seen a mechanic drive a car with a failed clutch back to a workshop .... scary thought. Start in gear, play with the throttle between shifts ....
bduk
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cullinan
Vehicle: Ford :Toyota
Club VHF Licence: HC237

Post by bduk »

Also had to drive home with broken clutch cable one day, Mabe lock both clutch and break pedals.
Wat ek is is net genade
Wat ek het is net geleen
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

Post by WayneSchalk »

In terms of safety I would say the accelerator...
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I've had to drive without a clutch and often just do it as a matter of course to stay 'tuned' in the event I have to do it again for real. Locking pedals and even a gear lock won't prevent it from being towed (the short stick also has a neutral position).

I still think the best option is to fit a GPS / Cellphone tracker and leave a ½ bottle of brandy laced with arsenic under the seat.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Kaspaas

Post by Kaspaas »

Hilux forum brainstorming - Got to love it!

Thanks for the valid inputs guys - Keep 'um coming!

Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Lock all three pedals together and make a gearlock to lock both gear levers in L-Range 4X4 Verese...
If you can get it started it will not stop easily, only against a wall...
If you make a stearing lock that prevents this from turning (or getting ot off) it gets even more difficult...
It now gets easier to look for another vehicle to steal...
I then also have a cut out switch and cut out starter motor switch...
Difficult to steal with the keys left in the ignition...
Good luck with your latest project...
For the older SFA I may still have a magoodie that also diables the battery...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by WayneSchalk »

How about airbags fitted under the seats connected to a cellphone, and if you dial and enter a certain code..... :focus:
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: capetown
Vehicle: 97 Hilux Raider 2.4

Post by Rusti »

Release airbags... let's be realistic... Snakes and pitbulls need to come out when you make that call.. :blackeye: :drool:
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

I drove or almost 2 years without using a clutch pedal much.
Even went to Atlantis a few times like that. So, yes, driving without a clutch is very possible.

Hidden kill switch is also a good option.
Obelix and Dogmatix
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

I have started using a steering wheel lock those that only allow you about a quarter turn of the steering wheel. Which I hope will be a visual deterrent. If you make something that locks the pedals but that is not easily visible they still might do the damage of breaking in only to realise their mistake and knowing our affirmative shoppers they would most probably do extra damage just to piepie you off even further out of spite.

My Suggestion, incorporate something in the mechanism that is easily visible and paint it RED.

Good luck and PM some photos once you are done so we all can learn.
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Rusti »

Unfortunately I've seen steering wheels that have been cut around where the steering lock was. Because the steering lock is tempered but the steering wheel is mild steel.. The best are the round ones that cover the whole wheel..
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

Yup, with a hacksaw it only takes a few minutes
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

"Unfortunately I've seen steering wheels that have been cut around where the steering lock was. Because the steering lock is tempered but the steering wheel is mild steel.. The best are the round ones that cover the whole wheel.."

Agree wholeheartedly, but the more hassels you have put in place to slow them down, the more likely they will look elsewhere for easier prey...
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Rusti »

That's true..

A few years ago I caught a guy trying to steel my old car and he was an auto electrician by trade.. So even anti hi jacking and immobilisers don't work 100%. Cops found his business cards along with a bank slip for R115 000.. Total syndicate operator and the prosecutor still couldn't convict him.. Pathetic..
crazyG
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: SFA Hilux

Post by crazyG »

Hi fellow Luxers, normally on a Hilux dash there are a few places for switches not in use, go to your dealer and get a switch for that would normally go there, now you can cut the fuel pump line and run it via the switch, so by flipping that switch your Hilux stays were you left it, the switch looks like it belongs there so no one will think to fiddle with it.
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by WayneSchalk »

Being realistic, if they want it.....

and all theses anti theft devices is just more hassle to you, and no one else. So what is the solution? I like the idea of leaving a half jack brandy with a bit of poison in it, but you will end up being prosecuted if this guy ends up dead.

BUT a half jack brandy with strong sleeping pills might just work .........I wanted to say with laxatives added to the mix but that can turn out to be a problem if they dont make it out of the car :lmao:
Kaspaas

Post by Kaspaas »

crazyG wrote:Hi fellow Luxers, normally on a Hilux dash there are a few places for switches not in use, go to your dealer and get a switch for that would normally go there, now you can cut the fuel pump line and run it via the switch, so by flipping that switch your Hilux stays were you left it, the switch looks like it belongs there so no one will think to fiddle with it.
Had a similar idea, thinking of using my A/C switch for this purpose.

niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

I installed a battery cut-off switch which has a "key" that you can remove when it's in the off position. Stops the battery running down when Rooies stands for awhile and I usually remove it when I park somewhere a bit on the dodgy side.

Also have a second hidden switch for a fuel solenoid that means they won't get more than a few meters if they get it started. And a gearlock. And an immobilizer.
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Kaspaas wrote:
crazyG wrote:Hi fellow Luxers, normally on a Hilux dash there are a few places for switches not in use, go to your dealer and get a switch for that would normally go there, now you can cut the fuel pump line and run it via the switch, so by flipping that switch your Hilux stays were you left it, the switch looks like it belongs there so no one will think to fiddle with it.
Had a similar idea, thinking of using my A/C switch for this purpose.
These thugs are not as stupid as we might like to believe. They know of all the tricks, and an unmarked / after-market switch will be fiddled with if the vehicle doesn't start or cuts out. Get one of those from 4x4Direct that is marked "Fridge" / "Light Bar" / whatever (just not "Igtn" or "Fuel") and that is similar to the OEM ones in your vehicle so that it doesn't draw attention. ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

Someone sent me a PM IRO a cut out switch on a Hilux 3.0 D-4D? (I saw the PM when I cleared stuff from Tony's House, but now I cannot remember who this was from & I don't want to ignore your thread and appear to be unhelpful.

Unfortunately I cannot get into PM's (Andy - Mud Dog was here to see why, but he also could not solve the problem - Please PM him to confirm this).
The fellow that fitted this for me is nowhere around, as this was done 5 years ago and he has moved on to parts unknown. I see that there are a few people who have mentioned that they have these, so if you just note this and ask for assistance I am sure that someone will be able to help you.
If you have a 2.5 D-4D the wiring harness is altogether different so will not be the same as mine.
Tony (First Geer) knows his way around electrics and put some of the other Security goodies into my vehicle, but he could not trace the wire, "my cut out switch is connected to" (without going right into the wiring harness).
My cut out switch is also hidden away and not easy to find, and the wires then go into the harness in a place that we cannot get to. We are unable to trace the wire that it is connected to in the harness (Hope this makes sense).
Hope you come right...
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Having survived a recent attempt to steal my 3lt D4D DC 4x4. I have some comments to make. It seems as if they have changed there modus operandi due to the fact that they now know most people have moved or covered their alarm siren/horn. They did not bend open my bonnet. They broke the wires off the hooter horns, broke the driver door lock with one of those tools modified to force the lock - e.g. sharpened allen key - broke the steering column covers off, removed the ignition switch and key reader from the lock, removed the air vent on the left hand side to get to the remote control - alarm module which is fitted immediately to the right of the air duct there, and had basically completely succeeded in bypassing all the factory security features but could not get past the additional security I had installed.
I was also informed that a new strategy is to remove the left front wheel of the Hilux to be able to reach the positive pole of the battery which they then wiggle until the lead on the pole has sufficiently worn to remove the battery clamp. On the Fortuner there is some plastic splash guard or cover of some sorts that they break off to reach the battery.

There are a few basic things one can do to further deter/delay them.

1. Move the front horns to behind the radiator support beam and reroute the wiring to the horns so that it is not easily reachable from the front through the grille and fit the cover over the alarm horn (if it is not already done) or move it.
2. A simple block wedged in between the battery clamp and the recess in the battery would make it difficult/impossible to move the clamp and would therefore not work loose when they try. - or use some other method to cover or secure the pole/battery clamp.
3 a wheel lock nut on the front left wheel on the Hilux will make it more difficult to remove the wheel to get to the battery and tell them you already know of their plans.
4 relocate the remote/alarm module to further under the firewall.
5 fit another mechanism such as an after market immobiliser.
Willem01
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: het nie 1 nie

Post by Willem01 »

And all these mods ...T SA will tell you then you have voided your warranty, even with my idea to make the OBD inaccessable by relocating it....been this route if they want it they take it...
Mars

Post by Mars »

In the first place my bakkie is not under warranty anymore and perhaps I should have stated that. I cannot see how a plastic block or some other idea to secure the battery pole or the wheel lock nut could impact the warranty. Only one of those mods already saved my bakkie. The rest are just suggestions to make it less attractive to try and take mine so that they will rather come and take yours.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

If I look at the number of complaints about Toyota's service on all the forums I don't think the warranty means much anyway.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

Marnus, Completely agree with you & you do not need to defend yourself against someone who leaves the replacement of his Vehicle to his insurance company. Do what you think is neccessary to protect your property from affirmative shoppers. The more the better. Do not make it easy for anyone...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Willem01 wrote:And all these mods ...T SA will tell you then you have voided your warranty, even with my idea to make the OBD inaccessable by relocating it....been this route if they want it they take it...
interesting post, and some very interesting replies ....

YES, Toyota (AND most other manufacturers) DO jump at these opportunities to walk away from warantee claims.

But that also means we can do ZERO 4x4 upgrades until the warantee period has passed. Well I drove Elders home and fitted the fridge wiring when Elders had less than 200km on the clock ! :mocking:

gadgets to stop theft .... many different ways to look at it

- make your more difficult to steal that the next one - sadly more often than not we employ hidden devices, thus they have already caused substantial damage before they walk away ... :thumbdown:

- if the measures are too visible, then hi-jacking becomes their logical next step

I certainly dont propose to know what the final answer is on this topic.

Personally I have moved the horn. I avoid dodgy parking areas ... and generally it just IRKS me that one has to keep looking over your shoulder .... :frustrated:
Mars

Post by Mars »

I hear what you are saying Chris! I use mine as a daily driver and have always been very aware of where I park my bakkie but having said that I have been everywhere. This is the first time since I got it new in January 2006 that they have tried to take it and it was left inside an enclosed, access controlled and guarded parking area of a conference centre. The one place I would not normally be too concerned. It is really irritating that one is always cautious.
R and R
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: johannesburg
Vehicle: hilux d4d d/c

Post by R and R »

My dad and a electrician create a swith that hides behind the dash or were ever u want to put it and is wired to the fuel pump or disel pump.to switch on the pump u slide a magnet over the dashboard and to that gives the pump power.the device that is hidden is in a little glass bar with to plates and magnet pushes those plates together to create the flow for the current.dont kno how to load a pic but i can show you guys wot it looks like if someone explains how to load the pic.

We also jus used a chain and bent a round bar to fit over the pedal and that hooks on the thick part of the steering wheel again can take pics to show you guys.when they tried to steal his kzte they couldnt because of it.they broke everything they could to try take it off and couldnt so then just stole the radio.insurance paid for everything
:bye: :tease: :aggresive: comfy ride machine
Mars

Post by Mars »

If you mail the pics to me I can post them for you Richard. I will send you a personal message with my email address.
R and R
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by R and R »

Ok cool thanks
R and R
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by R and R »

Sent them thru
Mars

Post by Mars »

Ok here are the pics of the chain lock.

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Very nice idea but; it is almost easier to break that lock with two 17 spanners than it is to use the key to open it. I would upgrade to a better lock.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

Like so!

Image Link Broken
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

:thumbup:
Mars

Post by Mars »

Laas keer toe ons in Amerika gaan skiet het, het een van ons spanlede sy geweerboks met so 'n slot toegesluit. Eintlik moet mens een van daardie TSA slotte wat hulle self kan oopmaak gebruik. Daardie manne wat die inspeksies doen is gewoond daaraan om slotte te breek maar die ou kom toe daar uit-asem, nat gesweet en bloedrooi in sy gesig vra dat die slot oopgemaak moet word want hy kry hom nie gebreek nie!!!
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Rusti »

How do you break the previous lock with 2 spanners?
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Easy as pie. Put one spanner over the lock body and the other over the shackle and twist. A bar through the shackle works just as well. You cannot do this with a discus lock. :winkx:

Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Rusti »

Nice to know.. Thanks Andy

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”