Installing rollbar

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D-4D Xtracab 4x4

Installing rollbar

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

How easy/expensive is it to install a rollbar if I buy a vehicle without one? Is that even done? Is it recommended?
Oupa Stig
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Re: Installing rollbar

Post by Oupa Stig »

As far as I know all the holes are there, just a bolt-on... Like that on my bakkies anyway.
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
coetzer94
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoorsdorp
Vehicle: Silver Hilux DC 2.8 GD-6 2016

Post by coetzer94 »

Are you refering to a steel cage as the ones racing vehicles use, or a chrome styling bar as on most new bakkies?

For the chrome styling bar, you can do it yourself, just drill the necassary holes (my xtracab did not have the holes so i drilled them myself) and paint some rust proofing to the exposed metal before fitting the bolts.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Working on my bucket list only makes it longer
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

No not a rollcage. Nor a stylebar. I'm referring to the normal rollbars that plaasbakkies have. The ones that offer protection.

When I bought my vehicle I saw it had a rollbar, but when I looked under the tonneau cover I saw it is actually just a stylebar. I didn't know that useless crap existed. So naive :slap:
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

Ed, you can fit it very easily. Just make sure the roll bar is made from decent material and not the chromed paper you saw on the style bar.

Below is a pic of one on my bakkie, Its an old SFA yes but those roll bars work, I have tested them :siffler: (long ago)
4 Nice 15mm bolts with nice thick body washers or a matching plate at the bottom will secure it is case of roll over.

Image Link Broken
Image Link Broken
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

Thanks Marius. To what is the rollbar attached? The chassis I presume?
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

No. It is attached to the load body. There is no need for attaching it to the chassis. If you are in a rollover situation the bar protects the cab from getting crushed. It will not prevent damage! The load body is strong enough to attach the roll bar on as long as you attach it properly so that it does not get ripped off.
Image Link Broken
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

Oh, I see. I would have thought that the "soft-skinned" vehicles' panels would tear like paper.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The inner metal of the load body is of a heavier gauge than the body panels, so it won't just tear loose. I've seen lots of roll-overs / multiple rolls as well (pics and actual) and the bars hold. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

Oh splendid! I pictured having to drill through everything to reach the chassis. Good thing I was just being ignorant. :mocking:

Thanks guys

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”