2017 Toyota 2 Wheel Drive what options

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

2017 Toyota 2 Wheel Drive what options

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Hi everybody, I do not visit this group as often as I would like to due to all the Toyota's that I continue to service and look after (forklifts).

Anyway I am in the process of wanting to replace my one work vehicle that is a VW Caddy Maxi panel van and my thoughts are to buy a new Toyota Hilux extended cab.

My thoughts continue as follows that the vehicle must have.

1. It must be a white vehicle.
2. It must be a diesel.
3. It must be able to be loaded as a service vehicle.
4. It must not battle on the hills.
5. It must have the extended cab.
6. Bull bar.
7. Tow bar.
8. Excellent lights.
9. what options do I have with the load body, I would be looking at removing the rear load body and then have an alloy van type body manufactured and it must be able to be removed by a forklift with all my tools inside it and then another flat deck load body with flip sides must be able to be fitted with a forklift and then the lights must just be connected easily with fast connectors.

What are your thoughts on such a vehicle, what must I look for and do any of you know if there have been any engine, transmission of diff issues with any particular vehicle?

Does anybody know if Toyota will be bringing out an automatic transmission with any of their new bakkies?

Thank's
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: 2017 Toyota 2 Wheel Drive what options

Post by ChrisF »

The extended cab portion seriously shortens your list - in the Hilux stable

pre-2016 the extended cab in SA were a two door.

The current model has the suicide doors found on the Ford.

the older 2,5 certainly dont have enough go for your needs .... not unless you add an intercooler and chip it ....

that leaves the older 3.0 D-4D, or do you want to splash out on one of the current models - which you would have to if you want the suicide doors.

taking off the back and making up custom interchangable decks can certainly be done. How you incorporate the fuel filler might be the only thing keeping you thinking for longer than two seconds on this. Other than that it should be a very easy, if labour intensive, project. off course a trailer plug for the lights to make the swop over easy ... or do you build the lights into a custom tow-bar bumper unit ....

klink na LEKKER projek.
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Hi ChrisF Thanks for your comments, I certainly will be buying a 2017 model, the suicide doors that you mention I am sure that they are very handy for entry into the vehicle, with the extra space in the extended cab, I am not sure how this allows a person to move the front seats back, if this gives them more space to move.

Concerning the custom interchangable decks, I am going down to East London this Thursday to see a company that does that sort of thing, basically I am looking for a suitable vehicle to use in my business when servicing forklifts and going out on breakdowns to repair City to City busses and Mercedes Benz vehicles and going off and having to park along side the roads and then driving on gravel roads as well, my current vehicles that I use are a VW Caddy Maxi panelvan and then I also have an Isuzu KB 2.5 that has that donkey engine in it.

Yes the fuel filler may be a problem, but I am sure this can be solved.

Maybe the tail lights built into a custom tow bar unit will be the answer for that.

Have you seen the Australian outback vehicles that they use in that country?

Thank you
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
GeorgeJvR
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Louis Trichardt
Vehicle: 2008 Prado 4.0 V6, 1989 SFA S/C 2.2 1998 SFA LTD 22RE

Post by GeorgeJvR »

Simon
I would like to talk to you about the Caddy if you don't mide sharing your Phone number
To Buy and sell a vehicle is my hobby
Make a deal that no one else thought possible is my aim

Kom wat wil ek bly 'n Bul!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Simon where are you based ?

Might be worth your while to speak to Sarel of Blinkgat Products. they are between Pretoria and Johannesburg.

He removed the bak of his Amarok, and then built his camper - to fit the standard bak mounting points. He has done this on all different brands since then.

If you speak to Sarel please send him my regards
SYRON CONVERSIONS

George my number is 083 703 6430.

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Chris I live in The Eastern Cape in a small town called Queenstown that is about 180km inland from East London.

simoan

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”