HELP IDENTIFY THE CAUSE

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Alex2539
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Walvis Bay
Vehicle: HILUX LEGEND 45 V6 4.0 4X4

HELP IDENTIFY THE CAUSE

Post by Alex2539 »

Image Link Broken

Hi there!

I am mechanically challenged... i have noticed that the pipes that goes to the heater is turning "whitish " ..does anybody knows what sign this is or the cause?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
Bonded to Yotas :cooldude:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: HELP IDENTIFY THE CAUSE

Post by Mud Dog »

It is a little strange and I cannot give you a definitive answer, but I can hazard a guess.

Both the heater and radiator hoses appear to be of similar construction and if one looks you can see that the radiator hose is starting to do the same thing on a lesser scale. The radiator hose is typically subjected to heating up & cooling down a lot more than the heater hose and my guess is that they are starting to perish. Much in the same way that if you leave a tyre without use, the rubber will perish quicker than one of the same age that is being used daily, I suspect that something similar is taking place between the two hoses. :think:

Either way, I would look upon it as a warning that they are coming up for replacement. If either springs a leak you gonna have problems - diesels don't like overheating. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Alex2539
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Alex2539 »

Mud Dog wrote:It is a little strange and I cannot give you a definitive answer, but I can hazard a guess.

Both the heater and radiator hoses appear to be of similar construction and if one looks you can see that the radiator hose is starting to do the same thing on a lesser scale. The radiator hose is typically subjected to heating up & cooling down a lot more than the heater hose and my guess is that they are starting to perish. Much in the same way that if you leave a tyre without use, the rubber will perish quicker than one of the same age that is being used daily, I suspect that something similar is taking place between the two hoses. :think:

Either way, I would look upon it as a warning that they are coming up for replacement. If either springs a leak you gonna have problems - diesels don't like overheating. :winkx:
Thanks Mud Dog. I will definitely have them replaced as soon as possible
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Doornpoort Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 Auto DC

Post by Dirka »

Seen that a couple of times.
Does it rub off? Like powdery stuff?
Could be many reasons for that.
Maybe normal oxidation of the hose, or release agent from the mold when they make the hose, or just the rubber properties going through all those hot/cold cycles. Maybe just normal dirt and grime drying up on your hoses or salt water deposits. Who knows.. :?:

Just as long it is not cracked, brittle or leaking..
I would not worry too much about that.

Hosing is cheap anyways.
If you'd like to put something on - I like to use silicon oil
on my rubber. Especially on the door rubbers.
It is inexpensive and does a good job.
I got arrested for driving naked. I guess I shouldn’t have put four wheels, an engine, and a steering wheel on my bathtub.
I’m a do-it-yourself kind of lover.
” ― J. Kintz
Alex2539
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Re: RE: Re: HELP IDENTIFY THE CAUSE

Post by Alex2539 »

Dirka wrote:Seen that a couple of times.
Does it rub off? Like powdery stuff?
Could be many reasons for that.
Maybe normal oxidation of the hose, or release agent from the mold when they make the hose, or just the rubber properties going through all those hot/cold cycles. Maybe just normal dirt and grime drying up on your hoses or salt water deposits. Who knows.. :?:

Just as long it is not cracked, brittle or leaking..
I would not worry too much about that.

Hosing is cheap anyways.
If you'd like to put something on - I like to use silicon oil
on my rubber. Especially on the door rubbers.
It is inexpensive and does a good job.
Thanks Dirka. It rubs off yes , there is no leak or anything....my car doesn't overheat or anything.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Have done serious mud trails ?

I once struggled to get the mud off ... the "mud" came off quick enough but I struggled with a residue ...
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Thats normal, sometimes even with new hoses you buy, some have that white powder on and others not. Must have something to do with either the manufacturing process or the composition of the rubber. If it wipes off I would not replace the pipe unless it gets hard or starts to crack. As I said I bought brand new pipes before with the white powdery stuff on it.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Post by Die$eL »

could it be that some chemical was used on it during a previous valet and that is now causing the residue?

I dont think its anything serious. As long as the hose isnt disintegrating
Real drivers use three pedals
Alex2539
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Alex2539 »

ChrisF wrote:Have done serious mud trails ?
No, i haven't
I once struggled to get the mud off ... the "mud" came off quick enough but I struggled with a residue ...
Alex2539
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Alex2539 »

pietpetoors wrote:Thats normal, sometimes even with new hoses you buy, some have that white powder on and others not. Must have something to do with either the manufacturing process or the composition of the rubber. If it wipes off I would not replace the pipe unless it gets hard or starts to crack. As I said I bought brand new pipes before with the white powdery stuff on it.
The pipe feels normal. Thanks Piet.
Alex2539
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Alex2539 »

Thanks all for the responses. I will leave it on and keep a close eye
brianc
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Reebok Kleinbrakrivier
Vehicle: 2002 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 s/c + Canopy Caravan; Suzuki Brezza

Post by brianc »

Check that it's not deposit from your battery. There is normally a breather pipe on the battery which allows the battery to vent low down. Maybe this vent pipe is missing.
Alex2539
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Re: RE: Re: HELP IDENTIFY THE CAUSE

Post by Alex2539 »

brianc wrote:Check that it's not deposit from your battery. There is normally a breather pipe on the battery which allows the battery to vent low down. Maybe this vent pipe is missing.
Thanks, will check

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”