tdi engines?

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
hern
Town: whitby
Vehicle: hilux crew cab

tdi engines?

Post by hern »

I am looking to buy a fresh Hilux - not a new one - cant afford it - and had my eye on a 2004 2.4 TD with a hard top. However, I read they are much less efficient than TDI engines.

Research into when the 2.4 Hilux however fails to clarify when the 2.4 or 2.5 TDI engines came in, and indeed what they were labelled as in later years. How do I tell its not a TD when they seem to have changed the title and dont use TD or TDI any more?

Thanks for any advice
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Re: tdi engines?

Post by Mars »

I must say that I am not familiar with the distinction between td and tdi engines in Toyotas. Are you referring to the engines being turbo charged or having mechanical or electronic injection. All diesel engines have diesel injection. Toyota moved over from mechanical injection to electronic injection with the KZ-TE (I stand to be corrected on this one). In any event I can only comment on what the position is in South Africa. The "old" 2.2 and 2.4 diesels were had mechanical diesel injection and did not have turbo charging. I am not aware of a 2.5 diesel Hilux. There certainly wasn't such a model in South Africa. The first one introduced was with the Vigo 2.5 (2KD-FTV) which has electronic injection. I notice that this engine was already introduced in 2001 which makes it even more difficult to tell as this engine was introduced in the Hilux in SA in 2005. It is easy to identify a mechanical injection vs electronic injection engine. The mechanical injection has a high pressure pipe running to each injector from the high pressure diesel pump whereas the electronic has a single line running to a common rail with pipes connecting to the injectors from the rail. It may also have a high pressure return pipe to the pump. The electronic injectors each have a electrical connection (ie wires running to the injectors) whereas the mechanical does not. It is also quite easy to check if the exhaust manifold runs to a turbo or not. With the normally aspirated engine the exhaust manifold connects directly to the exhaust pipe.

Hope this is of some assistance.
Last edited by Mars on Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
hern
Town: whitby
Vehicle: hilux crew cab

Post by hern »

Thank you. I think you have answered my question, in that the I in TDI relates to the direct rather then indirect fuel passgae through a prechamber - the TD using a pre-chamber.
The problem for me is I am not sure what is "old" in uk terms as the term TD ends, as does TDI and different descriptions are used from I think 2004. So still confused, though I am now in the market for a much newer model than I was three days ago, so it may not matter.
Thank you again for your response
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Post by Rigger »

The i in tdi stands for intercooler and has nothing to do with common rail or mechanical injection.

Toyota uses the letter E to indicate electronically controlled injection ie: 1KZ-TE shows it is the 1KZ series engine with a turbo and electronically controlled injector pump
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

One is never too old to learn.
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George