My Best vehicle ever

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
doggone
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 4X4 3.0 D4D

My Best vehicle ever

Post by doggone »

My 2006 hilux 3.4 D4D 4x4 has just clicked over 254 000 km. I have kept her well maintained as I do annua holiday l trips towing bikes etc and doing somev4x4 routes all over Southern Africa.

I recently had to decide to upgrade or keep her going for another 2 years. Chose to keep going. ( Mainly because I cannot get over the new Hilux "overbite" on the front end. Hoping to get over that or see some decent front bumper that changes the look sufficiently for me to get excited. )

I have never had a breakdown , but have proactively replaced the clutch @200k km , drive shaft bearings @210k km, alternator @251k km,and various other consumables.

My daily use vehicle in tandem with a BMW 1200 GS , which I am in process of replacing after 10 years.

From my perspective this car is absolutely bullet proof and I will probably have to do injectors and a turbo some time in future but these seem to have a level of predictability about them that gives me supreme confidence in the vehicle.

I love all things with wheels but this car has saved me so much money that I could have wasted on other "executive" vehicles which colleagues in the financial sector seem to do regularly.

My praise song to my Hilux

Sent from my SM-T815 using Tapatalk

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: My Best vehicle ever

Post by Mud Dog »

Good to hear Pierre! :thumbup: These are all reasons why the Toyota brand is so popular, for rugged reliability they are among the best if not the best. Enjoy! :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Post by Die$eL »

I'm also debating with myself over whether to replace my D4D Fortuner.

Have also only ever done preventative maintenance and not repairs.

To date I have:
- replaced the shocks and springs
- replaced clutch (just coz I had a spare one lying at home)
- replaced cambelt and water pump
- replaced front brake pads (i mention it coz this isn't something i do often. they last forever)
- replaced battery (it was ok but i replaced it coz the vehicle had a lazy swing to start).

The rest is normal services at 10 000kms

It still has a lazy swing at times and sometimes you need to crack a bit before it starts. I'm thinking injectors are on their way out and will probably replace those shortly.
Real drivers use three pedals
Alex2539
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Walvis Bay
Vehicle: HILUX LEGEND 45 V6 4.0 4X4

Post by Alex2539 »

The hilux is tough ....even though the old fortuner is quite similar to the old hilux, i have noticed (by experience as i drive both) that the hilux is more tough ...How many KM on the fortuner?
Bonded to Yotas :cooldude:
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

I feel exactly the same about my 2006 D4D 4x4. Simply the best vehicle I have ever owned. I am on 292 000 now and it is still going unbelievably well.
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Post by Die$eL »

I have about 177 000kms on mine
Real drivers use three pedals
TaylorK
Town: Seattle
Vehicle: Audi RS5

Post by TaylorK »

Mars wrote:Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:32 am I feel exactly the same about my 2006 D4D 4x4. Simply the best vehicle I have ever owned. I am on 292 000 now and it is still going unbelievably well.
254 000 km and still going strong. You have a good one there!
Last edited by TaylorK on Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Brent Morris
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: Toyota hilux 3 d4d 4x4 double cab

Post by Brent Morris »

260000 on my 3.0 d4d 2007 and still going strong

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Lorry
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: durban
Vehicle: D4D hilux DC $X$

Post by Lorry »

I also have 2006 D4D 4x4 DC with 170 000km, and I love it.
- Other than all the 4x4 mods that I have changed , suspension, rims , tyres "Legend 45" rims, lights ,canopy bull and tow bars ,Rocksliders etc etc
- I replaced the clutch and cam belt at 150k , but didnt want to take the chance, started slipping while towing a 10 ton
truck that was stuck in a muddy field after last years floods.
- The prop shaft knuckle at 160k alone with the water pump.
- I thought I had an issue with the injectors at 120k, turned out to be a broken wire under the inter cooler.
- Serviced every 10k .
- I have noticed how clean my air filter remains after fitting a snorkel.
- I use a heavier duty bake pad to help with brake fad
due to response call outs and towing .
- I removed the standard exhaust silencer and fitted a free flow silencer, sounds cool.
all in all, I have worked my van and she never misses a beat, just keeps going.
I am in no hurry to change her, my mates have the new 2,8 and it goes well, but my old girl still beats them.
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

TaylorK wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 7:42 am
Mars wrote:Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:32 am I feel exactly the same about my 2006 D4D 4x4. Simply the best vehicle I have ever owned. I am on 292 000 now and it is still going unbelievably well.
254 000 km and still going strong. You have a good one there!
Sold it to my wife’s nephew. We recently did the 450 000k service. Still going strong. It is now on its second clutch. That is about it.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”