Anti Rust Treatment

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Kortbroek
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 2.5 d4d 4x4 Hilux

Anti Rust Treatment

Post by Kortbroek »

I'm sure this has been discussed but can't find good feedback.

For the guys near the coast that drive in sand often, what do you do to prevent undercarriage rust?
I'm looking into having the underside of the bakkie treated with Waxoyl. There is a guy in Bellville that does it. Has anyone done this and what has been the experience?

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Anti Rust Treatment

Post by Mud Dog »

I think the product is fairly good (from hearsay, not personal experience). My only criticisms would be that it's outlandishly expensive (I actually phoned then some time back) and that they don't supply the product as a DIY option.

The other option, just as good if not better is Tectyl - never hardens either and you can DIY. I believe that I can do a far superior and more meticulous job than some workshop crew who unlike myself, don't have a vested interest in my own vehicle. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Kortbroek
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 2.5 d4d 4x4 Hilux

Post by Kortbroek »

Thanks Mud Dog. If I had only a few spots of surface rust I would have DIY'd it. I have rust spots all over the chassis/underside of the bakkie and although it is not serious rust and probably won't be for a few years it is enough that it will continue to grow.
Also, not having a large compressor handy to properly clean beforehand, especially in hard to reach cavities I'm rather going to get a proper job done.

I've since had some good feedback about the guy doing the treatment. Apparently he does a great job so going to give it a bash.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”