Idle speed low

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
mussa_kongola
Town: Dar es Salaam
Vehicle: Double Cabin Hilux 5L engine

Idle speed low

Post by mussa_kongola »

I have a double cabin hilux 2008 5L engine. Recently i replaced the pressure plate, clutch plate and engine mountings. After that at idle speed the truck vibrates, and with ac on, the engine rpm is 400. If press the acceleration pedal to 600 rpm, vibration disappear. Can the idle speed be a problem? What caused it to drop? How can i fix?

Sent from my TECNO-C9 using Tapatalk

Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Re: Idle speed low

Post by Mars »

If the engine idle speed is too low such as 400 RPM you are likely to start feeling vibrations. Normally idle speed is between 600 and 800 rpm. There are many factors which can influence idle speed. Replacing a clutch and engine mountings are unlikely unless you damaged or bent a link on the accelerator cable when removing the gearbox/ old engine mounts.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

As Marnus said, clutch and mounting replacement should have no influence on the idle speed unless something else has been changed or damaged in the process. I don't know much about the 5L diesel motor but also have to wonder if there are any electrical components that control idle, mixture etc. in which case maybe a wire was damaged or disconnected. :think:

There must of course be a way of adjusting the idle speed in any event, so if you don't find anything that may have been affected during the replacement process, then perhaps just bring the idle up a bit that way.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
mussa_kongola

Post by mussa_kongola »

Everything is electrical, the accelerator has a solenoid that adjusts the air, also the diesel pump is electrical. My mechanic was suggesting to service the injector pump, to him he thinks it is not pumping enough fuel.

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm still thinking that something was disturbed / disconnected / damaged when the clutch and mounting work was done. Your problem started immediately after that.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mars

Post by Mars »

I agree.
mussa_kongola

Post by mussa_kongola »

Mars wrote:I agree.
The acceleration pedal had a rubber inside, where the spring seats. Had to change it and rpm at idle speed increased.

Mars

Post by Mars »

Good to know thanks

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”