22r 3rd gear not engaging smoothly

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

22r 3rd gear not engaging smoothly

Post by pampoen »

Hi guys, I did do a little research on this prob and apparently it is a bushing or two that need to be replaced. Has anyone had any experience with this issue?

Thanks in advance! :thumbup:
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

Re: 22r 3rd gear not engaging smoothly

Post by pampoen »

Bump
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Not really the same issue but I had the entire cluster replaced because 2nd & 3rd were worn on the edges, causing a bit of a whine. Gearbox places will charge up to R4k to open & check.

First you could check the pins in the turret where the gear lever goes into, I posted a pic or two in a similar thread viewtopic.php?f=137&t=42766

I found that if those are bent in the slightest you'll have issues when trying to shift.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

What Stef says is true, but then I think you would be getting it in 4th and particularly 5th and reverse as well. Is your gear lever very 'floppy'?

If you pull upwards on the lever, there is some play which is normal but if it's more than 5 or 6 mm then the nylon bushing under the "ball" is worn and this can also lead to similar issues. To me however, your problem sounds more like it's in the box itself, like syncro rings maybe - I could of course be wrong.

When last was the box oil replaced? What a lot of guys do is to replace the box oil with ATF (like they use in auto boxes) and that would be my suggestion once you've looked at the lever. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”