May an insurer dictate what tracking company I subscribe to?

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D-4D Xtracab 4x4

May an insurer dictate what tracking company I subscribe to?

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

I am insured with TuffStuff. In their policy it states that I am required to be subscribed to CarTrack. I suspect this is because CarTrack offers a non-recovery warrany (which TuffStuff will take). I am not happy with CarTrack, specifically their lack of early-warning capabilities.

My question is:
Is it legal for an insurer to compel clients to subscribe to a particular tracking company?
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Re: May an insurer dictate what tracking company I subscribe to?

Post by Mars »

It depends on what the contract stipulates and it being a contract is dependent on what the parties agree to. Insist that you want to use another tracking company. They may want to change the premium etc. as it may influence their perceived risk. In terms of the Consumer Protection act they cannot force you to use a specific service provider but they can refuse to insure you i.e contract with you if certain conditions aren't met. If you cannot agree on which tracking company to use there won't be a meeting of the minds and thus no contract.

If you have already signed a contract which specifies a specific tracking company and you install another then they will not cover you in the event of a claim, which may be any claim not only for theft as you will be in breach of contract. Even if the one you choose is better.

Installing a second tracker in addition to the first will not affect the cover provided that it does not interfere with the specified one.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”