Subscribing to multiple tracking companies

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D-4D Xtracab 4x4

Subscribing to multiple tracking companies

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

Would it be possible, and what would the caveats be of subscribing to 2 different tracking companies simultaneously?

Related to May an insurer dictate what tracking company I subscribe to?. I am considering subscribing to another tracking company that i am happier with in the meantime.
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Re: Subscribing to multiple tracking companies

Post by Mars »

No issues other than double payments and an extra load/draw on the battery which could become an issue as the battery gets older.
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D-4D Xtracab 4x4

Post by StuckInTheMudd »

Thanks Mars.

The premium for CarTrack is included in my insurance premium. I am still the one paying for it obviously, but to be honest, TuffStuff's premiums are not that bad.

Regarding the draw, how bad is it? I am going to install a 2nd battery so I might as well connect the 2nd tracker to that?
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

It is very difficult to say as I do not have the specs of the systems. What I can tell you is that I have a Netstar installed and then insured through Discovery where they required the installation of a second system which serves as a tracker but also monitors driving behavior. Between the two systems my new Varta battery was almost killed in two years. I took the discovery unit out and the battery will now last a weekend without driving. I will still need to replace the battery.

Using the second battery is an idea. Perhaps some of the more knowledgeable guys on dual systems can add some insight here.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”