Vehicle Imports

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Vehicle Imports

Post by pietpetoors »

Why can't we import vehicles to South Africa? South Africans are getting ripped-off big time by vehicle manufacturers. It is my opinion that it is mostly the greed of the vehicle manufacturers that cause the high prices we have to pay for vehicles.

To make matters worse the vehicle manufacturers obviously bribed government to get legislation in place to prevent people from importing cars to South Africa.

I cannot understand why the competition commission cannot do anything about this. If we are allowed to import vehicles to South Africa, then the local manufacturers will have real competition that will force them to bring down their prices.

To give you an example of how we get ripped of. If you go to http://www.toyota.com and look what a new Cruiser 100 will cost you. Today it is $56,215 which is about R393,505. Go to http://www.toyota.co.za and see that the same vehicle will cost you R687,700. The difference is almost R300,000. Now that cannot be what it cost to transport such a vehicle by ship, can it. I know they also have to make a profit, but bear in mind that the dealer in the US also make a profit on his R393,000 Cruiser.

Another example, not something you will get here, but you all will agree that paying R53,000 for the Land Cruiser below is nothing compared to what we pay in South Africa. Land Cruiser, Auto 145,838 Kms, Green 3000 cc Turbo Diesel 5 Door RHD, 1994 model.

This vehicle I can get now. It is standing in Durban but unfortunately I cannot buy it because it is against the Vehicle manufacturer protecting law to buy it in South Africa. I can buy it and import it to Namibia, Swaziland or any other neighboring country, but just not my own country.

My questions are:
1. Why are the law protecting the vehicle manufacturers and enabling them to create a monopoly?
2. Why have the competition commission not done anything about this yet?

I know some people recon that it is to keep sub-standard vehicle from our roads. Well, I doubt that a Land Cruiser built in Japan will be inferior to the quality of one built here. Most of them are imported anyway. But just because the vehicle manufacturer imported them themselves, now all of the sudden they are supposedly more safe. They also say that the SABS first have to approve it, well I will not lift my opinion about the SABS openly here. But if you look at vehicles like the Chana and so on, I would rather drive an imported Cruiser or Surf before I just look at a Chana.

Enough for now, I would like to hear your input. One of my favorite quotes is one of Ghandi, he said "YOU must be the change you would like to see in the world"

I would like to have your input, perhaps we can change the world.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi Piet
I agree with you.In a total free market you should be able to purchase this car.One of the problems is if you buy it for that price non of the fat cats get any cream. :evil:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
d4d
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brackenfell Cape Town
Vehicle: 1996 2.4P Raider DC Hilux

Post by d4d »

Hi there, can you maybe tell me where to Check (web-saait) etc where one can buy this vehicles, my parents is still in NAM and my father is looking at getting a 2nd vehicle (bakkie) to use in NAM. The guy in Walvis Bay is selling Cars only, I'd rather hunt down the supplier my self, with your help hopefully, he he he.

Tx a mil in advance.

Jacques
pietpetoors

Import

Post by pietpetoors »

There are various web sites, but
http://www.autoterminal.com/ataf/home.asp has a warehouse in Durban and some of the vehicles can be viewed there.

I have spoken to a Piet Fourie who was very helpful

In the end even the import duties to Namibia makes it expensive and they also have some issue with importing old models to Nam.

On the NAM side you can contact the following person, he can help with import duties and clearing:
Onyeka Clearing and Forwarding CC,
30 Acacia Street, Windhoek
PIC: Quentin Calitz
Tel: 09 264 61 236905 / Fax: 09 264 61 234917
E-mail: onyeka (at) mweb.com.na
Last edited by pietpetoors on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors

Import

Post by pietpetoors »

Please keep us up to date
pietpetoors

Import

Post by pietpetoors »

Also see http://www.ramadbk.com/
I receive email from them for the past two years.
I have not phoned them yet, but they have been going for some years and are not fly by nights.

Apparently one thing one must look out for is stolen vehicles, that is why I would suggest to go with known companies.
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”