HiluX engine failure

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
DeonV
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Hartbeespoort
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 d4d
Club VHF Licence: HC229

HiluX engine failure

Post by DeonV »

Thanks all for your comments on the subject of my, expected to be, turbo failure, it indeed is as bad as I hoped it would not be. I bought the Hilux from a company in Harties, Buskes Motors, and it seems that he sold me a piece of junk. In all the complete fuel injection system had to be refurbished, pump, injectors and common-rail and a 1 year guarantee given by the repair company , the tank was removed and tar like black gum had to be removed from it. The turbo was removed and inspected and found damaged, although not the cause of this failure. It was refurbished at a decent cost by Turbo Works and a one year guarantee given. I had to buy a new inter-cooler as the old one was already patched and full of scats. Now for the bad part, the workshop opened the engine and found a lot of issues. All the pistons cracked, the top gasket blown between all cylinders, all the bolts rusted which, according to the workshop, indicates that this failure happened before I bought the Hilux as it should have heated up considerably which definitely was not the case in the 2000 odd kilometres I've driven it since I bought it end August 2017. This report with photos was also send to the warranty under writer as a claim was registered. The reason for me submitting this post is to find out if anybody had dealings with a company in Potch. This guy, Api, as advertised on google, says his companies name is "Industrial Service Centre" and that he fetches your vehicle from your residence, fits a new/recon engine and then gets the vehicle delivered to you again. All of this at a very decent price. If you had dealings with this company I would really appreciate letting me know if I can trust this individual. I need another engine as mine is deemed uneconomical to repair by the workshop quite urgent. My contact details is 0837049937 should you want to phone me with info. Your assistance is appreciated.
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Re: HiluX engine failure

Post by LouisZ »

Sounds if someone by mistake got petrol in the tank. Mix petrol with diesel and you get that tar silicone type of sludge. Starting a diesel with that type of mix you can damage the engine like you described.

I will take the Hilux back to Buskes Motors, all damages to them to fix. Or latter to give your money back. I really think that is what you must do.
DeonV
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by DeonV »

Hi all. Just some feedback on the engine failure I had on my Vigo. I had a new jap d4d engine fitted, the Vigo drives like a dream now but for a few small issues, well I hope small. Everything starts perfect, cold and hot startup, no smoke and engine turns like a dream. When I speed down to maybe go over a speed hump and this is done in second gear, quite a bit of smoke can be seen, if this is done in first gear, no smoke at all. I do suspect a bit of over fueling because my son told me the other day when driving behind me that he can see when I accelerate due to some smoke. Can this cause any issues later on. The only other thing is that the engine goes into limb mode at about 150 km/hr and then speeds down to about 100 km/hr. When driving at 120 km/hr absolutely no issues and will pick up speed very fast when accelerating but I need to keep the revs below 4000 rpm because of this. Any ideas.
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

I can't remember. Do you have a chip in the bakkie? Another question is if the injectors were coded into the ECU?
DeonV
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by DeonV »

No chip, that I know of, and the injectors was coded. My old injectors and common rail was the only two items I had to install on the new engine as it was a 140 kW Prado motor I purchased. The original common rail and injectors over fueled quite a bit and the workshop said is was due to the ECU not being able to be set for that pressure or something like that. The pumps are exactly the same so the pump was not replaced. I had to replace some fuel lines as well as the diesel ran back to the tank and hard cranking was necessary to start the engine when hot, definitely some air leaks on the vacuum side of the filter. This problem is luckily sorted now.
Mars
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

I think your issue is fuel pressure related.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”