Hilux kzte headaches

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
sasafaris
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durban
Vehicle: hilux 4x4 KZTE

Hilux kzte headaches

Post by sasafaris »

I am starting to wonder whether I must continue to fix or drive off a cliff. :frustrated:
My old girl has 550k on the clock, and although she has worked hard, she has never been driven hard.
I started to develop oil leaks, and had to have the clutch replaced (full of oil) as well as the rear main and found that the shaft into the gearbox was slightly bent I had to replace that and some splines. except for the clutch, all OE parts.
Then the front seal started to leak and was replaced - OE parts, followed by a sump leak which was fixed by removal, clean up and replaced. Now both the rear and front main seals are leaking again, this all in the space of perhaps 2000km.
Where to from here? my mechanic suggests that there is a bit of blowby creating pressure in the crank and to fix is going to be expensive.
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Re: Hilux kzte headaches

Post by Mars »

I am also thinking pressure in the engine Have you made sure that the breather pipe on the tappet cover is open?
sasafaris
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by sasafaris »

I checked for blockages, it is clear
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Then you shouldn't have crankcase pressure. Were those seals fitted properly I wonder? .... and was the seal surface of the crank checked out? Was it really OEM parts? (The pirate ones leak after a while). :scratch: :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
sasafaris
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by sasafaris »

going to take it for a 2nd opinion now.
Getting estimates from R30-40k to do the engine depending on whether it needs a rebore and new pistons and rings.
Anybody had experience with the used imported motors?
Hennie Nel
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0KZTE DC 4x4

Post by Hennie Nel »

Hi John, any news on your KZTE.?
I had a similar problem on a Prado with KZTE motor with 320 000 km. The sump pressure was so that if you open the filler cap it blows out your hand.
I took her to Toyota, according to them a cracked cylinder head. But I had no overheating, oil in water or water in oil. She was still starting first swing, power and consumption was ok, only lots of black smoke on acceleration.
I took her to a guy doing turbos and injectors, he recommended to overall the engine because the sump pressure was blow by on piston rings.
I did find out about imported Jap engines, R 32 000.00 and not even a startup was just to much me, so I decide to overall myself. On opening my engine, nearly all compression rings were broken. All and all, re bore with new pistons bearings, water pump, oil pump, clutch pressure plate, radiator, head redone and injectors redone it cost ways less than R 20 000.00. (around R 18 000.00 - will add all slips.)
She runs like a Swiss watch with no smoke at all, ready for her second life.
Hennie Nel 2
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE; Prado 95

Post by Hennie Nel 2 »

Ok, did add all the cost and came to R 22 000.00 couple of rand up or down. But still......

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”