Gearbox Problems Please Help

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
D4D living the dream
Town: Durban
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D4D

Gearbox Problems Please Help

Post by D4D living the dream »

Hi,

Please could someone help me with this issue as I’ve tried everything and still stuck with no answers. I had a noise in my 5th gear that came about last year October that became noisy on freeways over 100km/h. I took it to a garage and they said it was the 4th gear and repaired it R18000 later. No I received it back and the 3rd & 5th are are extremely loud when driving. I took it back and the mechanic said there is nothing he can do. He said the teeth from the 4th gear made indintatuins 3rd and 5th and I need to wait for it to wear in. I am not very clued up on gearboxes but that doesn’t seem right? I could be wrong. . The noise actually seems to be getting louder. I am going to try attached a sound clip. Please please advise. Many thanks
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Gearbox Problems Please Help

Post by Mud Dog »

Doesn't sound right at all. The gears shouldn't have to "wear in" - I think he's taking a chance.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
D4D living the dream
Town: Durban
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D4D

Post by D4D living the dream »

Hi @muddog, thank you for your reply. i seem to think the same thing as the noise is getting worse and worse.
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Post by Rigger »

Is your Hilux 4x4 or not? If yes, then you have a R151f gearbox which is famous for having weak 5th gears. Especially in the Land Cruiser pick ups with the same boxes, the guys struggle to get 150k km out of a box before the output shaft brakes the housing where the 5th gear bearing runs. That mechanic didn’t do a proper job. A gearbox should be silent if done correctly. Maybe replace the oil with Toyota gearbox oil or if you can get Caltex Easy Shift GL4 75W90 and see what it does but I don’t think oil is the problem here.
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

I am not an expert on gearboxes but I fail to see how a whine in 5th gear could be caused by a damaged fourth gear to begin with. I would take it back.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Had the entire cluster replaced on the SFA's box due to 2nd & 3rd gears that started to get a slight whine on higher rpm's. Was told by the guys at MayFair that the teeth edges were worn causing the whine. So had the entire cluster replaced. Now it whines from 1st to 3rd on lower rpm. It has become slightly better (only done 15 000km since). Noticed that they filled it with a red oil, so definitely not Castrol...was also wondering 'bout the oil.

On a side note I recall my MIL complaining to the mech that her corolla's clutch must be worn because the gearshift is not smooth. Now this guy used to work for toyota, and he said sometimes they fill the box with a lower grade and/or quality oil in the factory....he replaced the oil with the correct grade & problem solved .

So I would not completely discount the the oil theory. Haven't changed the oil on the sfa yet to see if that makes a difference though
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The "red oil" might be ATF. It's often used instead of regular gear oil to try overcome whines and notchy gear changing.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”