Hilux 4x4, Diesel or Petrol?

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Makmoer
Town: East londen
Vehicle: Hilux

Hilux 4x4, Diesel or Petrol?

Post by Makmoer »

I know its been discussed quite a bit, but what is the pro and cons of owning a diesel or petrol. Are the V6 engine as bulletproof as the D4D? I lean more towards petrol but everyone says they are super thirsty! Surely you can do something to change that a little. I am used to paying at the pump, but dont want to regret buying the V6.
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Re: Hilux 4x4, Diesel or Petrol?

Post by Mars »

Both those engines have proven to be bulletproof. The diesel is more economical than the petrol but has less power. The fuel consumption of the petrol is pretty much what it is. Guys have tried to improve it but with limited results. The most important factor influencing the consumption of the petrol is your driving style. I have seen V6s for quite good prices.
Last edited by Mars on Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ROOKIE
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: HILLCREST
Vehicle: 12 4.0 V6 4x4.

Post by ROOKIE »

Hi.

I think the 4.0 is equally as tough as the D4D. Each as its so called weak spots that you need to keep an eye on.

To my view, the pros of the 4.0 over the LONG term is that I don't need to worry about EGT temps, Turbo's going pop, injectors over fuelling etc. Service it regularly, put petrol, turn the key and go.

In terms of thirst, the 4.0 does like a drink. I am getting 13.9l/100 overall but it can be quite efficient. The best I got was 8.9l/100 between Hobas and Rosh Pinah but that was a very light foot dawdling along.

I would say the 4.0 and its thirst is directly related to the weight of your accelerator foot.
09 4.0 V6 Auto 4x4.
Alex2539
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Walvis Bay
Vehicle: HILUX LEGEND 45 V6 4.0 4X4

Post by Alex2539 »

Go for the V6, you will enjoy it. i have seen a few with high mileages.. if you don't mind the thirst of the v6 then go for it
Bonded to Yotas :cooldude:
Makmoer
Town: East londen
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Makmoer »

Thanks for the input guys, and what I understand from these forums is that it seems, the maintenance is allso less on a V6 engine with high miles, than a D4D.
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

It is a little hard to tell but you have the common rail diesel system and the turbo which can and eventually will need maintenance. As an example I replaced the injectors as one was going out of spec and leaking injectors in a diesel will eventually burn holes in the pistons. That was about R15k and was purely preventative. Worn injectors on the petrol is not that critical but it will cost you in terms of fuel consumption. They also do not work at the high pressures that the diesel works at.

Having said that I really love my D4D and at 305 000 ks is still going strong. I also pity the guys I pass on the highway in their V6s doing an easy 100 or 110 whilst I know that I am still using less fuel than they are at 120 or 130. Both are awesome vehicles.
dalkill
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

I know i'm not going to help you decision much but it depends also on you use of the vehicle. Having owned a couple of petrols and diesels ...

I don't use mine every day. I have old 1300 corolla i slog to work every day. Even though the fuel consumption on D4D is about the same as corolla... i really drive like miss daisy in it, too afraid to push it past 2500rpm.. and for robot to robot trying to beat the taxi driving trying to cut in... well the 1300 is more nippy.
So in that respect, if i were to get a V6, i think only long trips will be done with it.

If i take a weekend trip to Gansbaai / De Dam... about 400km round trip... 10km /l on d4d... compared to on average about 7km / l on a V6.
D4D = 40lt @ about R13/l = R520
V6 = 57lt @about R14/l = R800.

That a saving of about R1.40 / km on fuel...

I think services equal each other out, as i think they pretty much the same. each every 10K... with diesel not having spark plugs but i think the filters a bit more expensive on diesel.

THEN... when you do get to your destination, depends on what you plan to do. As i enjoy my fishing, this involves some sand driving (not on the beach ;-) )... and here petrol wins hands down. You don't always have space to build up momentum, and this is where the petrol tolerance for high revs is king. It will get you out of that sticky situation. Diesel however, you clench your butt cheeks holding the revs at 4000rpm to get over THAT hill... all you can think.... my turbo, my turbo...
But then you get to a rocky section, and punch it into 4L, 1st gear and simply idle over it... whereas petrol your left leg start to cramp up already :-).

On the road... 120.. petrol most probable sitting at 3500rpm... diesel chugging along at 2500rpm... to me that engine must more at peace and thus will give you longer life. I really like that.

But then the turbo packs up... R30K... or injectors go .. R25K.... and there goes you saving of R1.40 / km.

So i can't give you a definite answer, cause i really don't know myself. I think at the end of the day they are equal in terms of the pros and cons. Both great vehicles in their own right... whichever one you do choose, drive it like it was designed to be... ie. don't expect to redline D4D from robot to robot and expect fuel economy and longevity...
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”