Advice on selling Hilux and pricing of extras

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Jan 007
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 2.4GD6

Advice on selling Hilux and pricing of extras

Post by Jan 007 »

Hallo Hilux friends,

The bad news is I am going to sell my Hilux, the good news is to buy a new SRX model! My work situation has changed a bit and I need a new vehicle to comply with the requirements.

My challenge is how do I place a value on the old Hilux. It is a 2000 model 2.7i 4x4 double cab model with about 280 000km on the clock, engine very good and bodywork is ok. I can still handle that portion through research, my challenge is how do I now value all the extras? The Hilux is kitted out very well with the following:

1. Tabor 9000lb whinch
2. Long range fuel tank
3. Proper cattle railings with canvas canopy
4. Roof rack (over the double cab area)
5. Spot lights
6. ARB bumper
7. Slightly raised suspension
8. Second battery wiring for battery box

As a thumb suck would extras such as these add about R50k to the price?

I would also appreciate if there is advice on trading in the Hilux vs selling it out of hand, and if one could get good prices from professionals such as cars for cash ext.

I am very much looking forward to equipping my new Hilux with some extras, so therefore I am trying to get good value out of the previous one and would appreciate some help :thumbup:

Thanks!
Jan
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Advice on selling Hilux and pricing of extras

Post by Mud Dog »

Jan, you will never recover the cost of the extras, not even a meaningful portion thereof. The right buyer that wants those things will be prepared to pay a little extra but a dealership will normally give you the trade price, extras or not.

Removing and selling the extras separately will be your best bet but removing the LR tank and battery box wiring might be more effort than it's worth. Use that as a selling point when selling privately. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Jan 007
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Jan 007 »

Thanks Mud Dog,

Yip the extras is always a dead loss if you don't actually used them. I am very glad that the extras were fitted on the vehicle when I purchased it and that all of them, except for the winch, I used a lot. The once or twice the winch was used it was very good value for money :eh:

Jan
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Agree, is much better to sell extras seperately. At R50k above the normal selling price it will take you ages to sell your Hilux and in the end you will just drop the price.
Guess you can't do much about 5, 6, 7 and 8, but 1, 2, 3 and 4 you can sell.

If the spotlights are very special and expensive you can sell those as well, but generally you do not get much for 2nd hand spotlights.
If you have original bumper you can refit but I wont go and buy an original (2nd hand) just to sell the ARB.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Jan 007
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Jan 007 »

Thanks Piet,

Nope unfortunately I don't have an original bumper, thanks for the inputs!

Jan
Jan 007
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Jan 007 »

Happy ending to my story, I sold the Hilux for exactly what I paid for 10 years ago. Factoring in 3 Botswana trips, 2 Namibia trips, 7 Lesotho trips and endless happy trips in South Africa I am very happy.

When I bought it, I felt that it was a great deal. The young man who bought it from me, felt that he got a great deal, so the Hilux circle of life continues!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Well done and good to hear! :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”