1982 Hilux 4x4 S/C present from my FIL

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Zatopec
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 82 Hilux 4x4 S/C

1982 Hilux 4x4 S/C present from my FIL

Post by Zatopec »

Hello Chaps

New to the forum and i like....

I got a call from my farther -in-law the other day. I`ve been nagging him for the last 20 years about his `82 Hilux 4x4 bakkie. That van is SWEET!

He bought it from a chap after it got partially submerged in the sea at St Lucia..... long story. So he got a Z Craft fiberglass body made, exact replica of the original Toyota body, had all the electrical wiring redone and he stripped the chassis clean and got all the components galvanized. He lived in Mtubatuba and worked for Eskom until his retirement. He now lives in Empangeni.

I always thought that the work, time and money he put into that van was worth it. It looked stunning and drove like it owned the road.....

Anyway, so my dad called and told me that he decided to give me the Hilux. I can come and fetch it any time. He just had 4 new tires put on but thinks the brakes needs a bit of attention. WOW - flippen WOW, i could not believe it. So i have to take a road trip to Empangeni from Strand to go and fetch and the baby. I will have to put it on a trailer.

I have been surfing the forum and trying to catch up on some stuff so if you find me pestering you guys with stupid questions and stuff, please bear with me whilst I get the basics of the Hilux sorted. I will post some pictures once i collected the van.

Regards
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: 1982 Hilux 4x4 S/C present from my FIL

Post by Family_Dog »

Lovely present indeed, Rodney.

Can't wait to see the pics!! :thumbup:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Rodney! :thumbup: Indeed! ..... pics, pics, pics! Either you have a great FIL or you're an awesome SIL. :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Congrats Rodney, pics are very important :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
dd6
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 1995 SFA

Post by dd6 »

Congrats Rodney! It sounds like the Hilux will be getting a eager new owner. Enjoy it!!
Zatopec
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Zatopec »

Pictures as prommised. Any comments, remarks or suggestions welcome. She will be transported down in a week.
Attachments
2F4A48E8-D2FA-45E1-866F-3C5DCB1A0B38.jpeg
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Nice! Still looks pretty good! :thumbup:

A buff and polish should get the paintwork shining again - a pressure wash in the wheel wells and underneath and then clean up / respray the rims and it will look like a completely different vehicle. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Howzit and welcome Rodney.That hilux really brings back very fond memories.I bought a brand new one in 1983.
The hilux was written off in an accident land I then replaced it with another new one in early 1984.

I was well aware that the new hilux was about to be launched later in the year but I could not wait as the hilux was my work vehicle.So I bought the current model at a good discounted price of R8800.
Those were the days.
Yatish09
Town: Durban
Vehicle: 1982 hilux

Post by Yatish09 »

Howsit guys
I'm new to this forum...I just started restoring a 1982 hilux lwb, would someone please assist me with starting my own post, I'd appreciate the advice...
Thanks guys, and sweet bakkie
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Yatish09 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:08 pm Howsit guys
I'm new to this forum...I just started restoring a 1982 hilux lwb, would someone please assist me with starting my own post, I'd appreciate the advice...
Thanks guys, and sweet bakkie
Hi and welcome! :thumbup:
Just go to the forum main page (there is a link just below the green banner above or click on the pic of the vehicle in the banner) - there select the appropriate forum for your topic and click on it and select a sub-forum if needs be - click on "New Topic" - enter your topic title in the "subject" line, complete your post in the text block and "Submit" when you're done. :winkx:

Zatopec
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Zatopec »

Hi All

The three of us, my 2 sons and I drove up do Empangeni over the long weekend to go and collect my present, now nicknamed "Gertjie" a round trip of 3942km.... My FIL`s name is Gert.

After a couple of fines for overloading the trailer, two rear wheel bearings on the Isuzu and the protest actions at the Mooinooi plaza on the N3 we are arrived back in Strand safely. I have new founded respect for my KB250 DTeq with 197000km on the clock that took us there and back with out missing a beat, except for the wheel bearings of course. I suppose that kind of mileage on a set of rear wheel bearings is not that bad.

The Hilux`s entire body is fiber glass and the trimmings, moldings and hinges either chrome plated, stainless steel or aluminum. The radio is still the original one sold with the bakkie. The wheels, bull bar, chassis, cross members, rear tow bar bumper and mountings all galvanized. Truly amazing....

Its time now to start with the TLC process - feeling very excited :yahoo:

I am not sure what this model is called and if there is a workshop manual for sale from one of the members? If one of you can assist i will be most great full.

I will take pictures of the engine - my FIL changed the engine with a diesel one, i think it is a 2.2D used in the Hilux bakkie, most probably around the late 90`s or early 2000

Any advise or comments is welcome. Like I mentioned - I am new to the brand and this forum.

Warm Regards

Rodney
Attachments
Gertjie 2.jpg
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I can see why they fined you for overloading the trailer. :D:

The diesel is probably a 2.4 Lit which was common around that time. There are manuals here on the forum in pdf format. Look for 1st Gen Hilux. :winkx:

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”