DUNE SAND IN THE CHASSIS, AIR BOX

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Alex2539
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Walvis Bay
Vehicle: HILUX LEGEND 45 V6 4.0 4X4

DUNE SAND IN THE CHASSIS, AIR BOX

Post by Alex2539 »

Hi there! I live in on the desert coast and do dune driving most weekends. i noticed a lot of dune sand in my chassis, any ideas/advice how to get rid of this? (we have rust issues here thats why i am panicking :crazy: ) . Another issue: i have noticed that my accumulator at the bottom of the air box is also full of dune sand
Bonded to Yotas :cooldude:
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Re: DUNE SAND IN THE CHASSIS, AIR BOX

Post by Mars »

For the accumulator - that is good news. It means it is doing its job. There will invariably be sand particles flying around in the intake air from wind, the front wheel and other vehicles driving in front of you, some of which must get sucked in. the filter is cyclonic so the heavier particles are flung out to the outside and end up falling in the accumulator. If it is really bad a snorkel should help reducing the amount of sand being sucked in and obviously if you regularly drive in dusty conditions you will need to replace the air filter more regularly and clean out the accumulator.

As for the chassis regular cleaning with a pressure washer should do the trick.
Alex2539
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Alex2539 »

Thanks alot Mars. I do have a snorkel on , any advice on cleaning the accumulator?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Just blow it out with compressed air - you can also give the element a good blow out as well if it's not that bad that it needs replacement,
Tip - pull an old stocking over the snorkel head when you're driving in dusty / sandy conditions. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Alex2539
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Alex2539 »

Mud Dog wrote:Just blow it out with compressed air - you can also give the element a good blow out as well if it's not that bad that it needs replacement,
Tip - pull an old stocking over the snorkel head when you're driving in dusty / sandy conditions. :winkx:
Great, thank you

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Now that is a lekker tip!!!
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

You can also just turn the head around when driving in very dusty/sandy conditions as this will also allow the snorkel to suck in cleaner air and less sand particles that is flung around in the air by wind and other vehicles in front of you.
Johan Marais
Alex2539
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Alex2539 »

JohanM wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:41 pm You can also just turn the head around when driving in very dusty/sandy conditions as this will also allow the snorkel to suck in cleaner air and less sand particles that is flung around in the air by wind and other vehicles in front of you.
dankie Johan

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”