Which engine?

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
sunnysingh
Town: Dar Es Salaam
Vehicle: Land Cruiser 76

Which engine?

Post by sunnysingh »

Good day all,

New to the forum so i hope i'm posting this in the right section.

I am looking for general advise/ opinion on which engines are ''recommended'' for the Hilux, i'm not really interested in reading motorist reviews etc so i thought i would ask you guys who are more familiar with this case.

My current Hilux is a 2009 with the 5L engine with rear factory difflock (SA spec) purchased brand new back in 2009.
I am thinking of replacing it with something faster and up to date. I am based in Tanzania and the local Toyota only stocks the newer generation Hilux with 1GD and 2GD engines, prices start at approx $40,000 USD but the inside of the cab looks a but too fancy for my liking. I hate the touch screen entertainment system!
But If any of you guys own the newer generation, i would like to hear feedback from you.

My other option is to look for the slightly older 1KD or 2KD engine Hilux. What are general thoughts on these engines? are they strong and reliable? 2.5L and 3.0L d4d.
My current Hilux is sitting at 135,000kms and i have had zero issues with it thus far, it is slow but very reliable!

Unfortunately buying good used examples in Tanzania is out of the question so i might import the vehicle from UK. Anyone been in a similar situation as me? it would be good to hear some feedback from you.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Which engine?

Post by Mud Dog »

The 5L 3lit diesel motor is a donkey but as you say, very reliable and it should run trouble free for at least twice more that mileage if not four times. That is still a young motor by 5L standards.

Swapping it out for something like the 1KD (D4D) motor would give you more power and better fuel economy but with the cost of motor and conversion you will never recoup the cost IRO fuel savings. Also a vehicle tends to loose it's resale value when not in original trim, so you would loose out there as well when you want to sell.

Personally I would leave it as is and live with it or look for a cared for D4D model and offset the cost with the sale of the old er one.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
sunnysingh
Town: Dar Es Salaam
Vehicle: Land Cruiser 76

Post by sunnysingh »

Hello mate,

Perhaps my post was misleading.
I dont intend to do an engine swap, I want to replace the vehicle completely. Just wanted thoughts on what engine is desirable...

Are all the d4d’s reliable? I read somewhere that the 2.5L turbo was the one to go for but I could be wrong!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

OK, then I misunderstood. Yes the D4D's are very reliable and the 2.5 is a bit sluggish by comparison to the 3.0. However I understand that if you chip it you can run away from a standard 3.0 but it will catch up to you after 130kmph. I believe that even when chipped it's more economical than the 3.0.

The diesel guys on the forum can hopefully verify and add some extra insight (I'm not a diesel-head).
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

I find it strange that a 2009 model is fitted with a 5L engine, these were abandoned some years ago in favour of the KZTE engine, which was a vast improvement in terms of performance and reliability compared to the 5L. Both engines however had a history of head failures.

Having said that, we had a client who had two 2005 KZTE Hiluxes (IFS models) that towed 1-ton trailers country-wide and each of his vehicles had in the region of 500,000km on their speedos with ho problems at all.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Family_Dog wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:18 pm I find it strange that a 2009 model is fitted with a 5L engine, these were abandoned some years ago in favour of the KZTE engine, which was a vast improvement in terms of performance and reliability compared to the 5L. Both engines however had a history of head failures.

Having said that, we had a client who had two 2005 KZTE Hiluxes (IFS models) that towed 1-ton trailers country-wide and each of his vehicles had in the region of 500,000km on their speedos with ho problems at all.

-F_D
He is from Tanzania. Toyota South Africa exported the older engine into Africa while we had the KZTE.
Sent from my iPhone
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

I wondered about that, but did they still do so in 2009? By then even the KZTE engine was long obsolete here, in favour of the D4D.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”