First sfa

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Pietkokkewiet
Town: Vereeniging
Vehicle: 2009 3.0 d4d 4x4 fortuner

First sfa

Post by Pietkokkewiet »

Hi firstly about im 31 in Gauteng driving a 3.0 d4d 4x4 fortuner and i am looking to buy my very first ever sfa here are a lot off ppl with very high knowledge and extensive experience on these vehicles thats why im here and asking for assistance what sfa to get im want to use it as an everyday car for myself and maybe now and then hit the trails what engine is best single cab or double what to look for when buying and more or less price range for a nice specimen also mayb mods to do when after buying a good looking size and good size of tire is kinda important to me too please assist it will be much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Re: First sfa

Post by niclemaitre »

Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Pietkokkewiet wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:39 pm ............. what sfa to get ......... want to use it as an everyday car for myself and maybe now and then hit the trails what engine is best single cab or double what to look for when buying and more or less price range for a nice specimen also mayb mods to do when after buying a good looking size and good size of tire is kinda important to me too ...........
Hi Piet, You should know that theses are not economical vehicles IRO fuel consumption, so as a daily runner you're going to find it heavy on the pocket. It sounds like you want it more for daily transport than an off-roader - not ideal. They are really more suited to off-road use - not a comfortable ride by comparison to IFS models and are sluggish on the open road.

A standard motor is usually the best option all round, but then it's going to battle even more if you fit huge tyres - a 31" tyre is best suited without modifications required. Once you go bigger then you have to do an axle shift and maybe raise the suspension .... a lot of effort and cost just for the sake of having bigger tyres for the looks.

You can expect to pay between 80 to 100k for a fairly standard model in good nick.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The one for sale in the link given by Nic above appears to be a nice buy but if you want something more serious with a bigger motor (Toyota 2.7 conversion), raised suspension 33" tyres and dual transfer cases, then look at this one which I think is an excellent buy (only 5k more) for someone that's going to use it off road.
viewtopic.php?f=129&t=43384
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”